.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, April 21, 2017

RESULTS: BATTLE OF THE BANDS -- 2017, APRIL 15 (Or, MASH VS. WKRP VS. MOONLIGHTING)

.

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2017, April 15th: Battle Of The Bands' (Or, 'M*A*S*H Versus WKRP IN CINCINNATI Versus MOONLIGHTING') And The Final Tally:

First, I want to thank EVERY ONE OF YOU for playing and for making this one of the most .F-U-N. Battle Of The Bands installments I've ever had.

I really enjoyed reading your comments and learning some of your personal favorite TV Shows and Theme Songs.

This one was super-close! M*A*S*H started out like gangbusters and for quite awhile it looked like Blowout City. But then the Night Owls -- the MOONLIGHTING folks -- showed up a few mornings later and turned this into a serious competition!

As I stated at the beginning, these are probably my all-time TOP THREE favorite theme songs (although I really love many more). But I'll bet many of you probably thought I'd be voting for M*A*S*H. Well... "Wrong again, Fishface!" (as my dear, departed Ma would say).

Of the 3 shows, MOONLIGHTING is my favorite. MASH, believe it or not, I don't really care for. (I liked their money though. Ha!)

My Ma was born and raised in Cincinnati. So was my maternal Grandpa. The super-sweet Mary Ann, a person who is sort of an extended part of my family, still lives there.

And then there was a girl... Amy E. On my blogs, I usually refer to her as [Link:) "Ms. Venus", and I was head over heels mad for her.  One of very few blondes I've ever been really attracted to. She was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio -- not Cincinnati. But that's still a "C" in Ohio and close enough for me to make the emotional connection between her and the theme song for WKRP IN CINCINNATI.

Maybe she and I were never meant to be, but the theme song for WKRP makes me think of her once in awhile...

Baby, if you've ever wondered
Wondered whatever became of me
I'm living on the air in Cincinnati, 

Cincinnati WKRP

Got kind of tired of packing and unpacking
Town to town, up and down the dial
Maybe you and me were never meant to be 

Just maybe think of me once in awhile.

I'm at WKRP in Cincinnati!

John Holton's comment pretty well nailed it:

"There are a lot of reasons I like the theme from "WKRP in Cincinnati": it's a breezy almost-love song"...

It really is a wistful, melancholic love song that hints at "what might have been" -- had it only been in the cards. I can totally relate to that.

But, WAIT! ...THERE'S MORE...

"They're solid PLASTIC! So don't settle for imitations."

"But the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity."

C'mon, Peoples! How many theme songs have you laughing even before the show starts?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQvCNLIVydM


Nevertheless, the only two votes that WKRP got came from my Brother and STMcC.

Yesterday, I replied to the comment by Doc MacSis with this:

I'm almost afraid to count up the votes. This "feels" like a MASH / MOONLIGHTING tie.

Well, we'll know tomorrow.

As it turned out, it really WAS a tie at that point. And along came Robin, the Girl Wonder, to break it...

M*A*S*H = 9 votes


WKRP IN CINCINNATI = 2 votes

MOONLIGHTING = 8 votes

My thanks again to everyone for making this such a successful BOTB installment. "We sure had a lot of fun. And I hope to see you again real soon" (hat tip to Mickey Mouse).

~ KDogG In Reno
Da King O' De Airwaves
& Da Dictator O' De Blog

22 comments:

  1. Well that was a heck of a battle.

    I was born in Cleveland, Ohio--another C town but even further away.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE, I had no idea you were a (Cleveland) Ohioan. I've always thought you were born in Knoxville.

      Yeah, this was a terrific Battle. One of my favorites ever. Not just because it was an ideal one-vote margin winner, but because the comment section was full of enthusiastic expressions. That was a great deal of fun for me. And kind of unexpected, since I just tossed this thing together as a Plan B when Plan A fell apart.

      Wasn't on the computer much at all yesterday, but will get over to see your results this morning.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
    2. I didn't make to the Knoxville area (Maryville, TN) until my high school years. We moved from Cleveland when I was about 7 and from there lived in Pittsburgh, PA, San Diego, and finally Merrillville, IN before settling in TN which is the place that captured my heart and soul. All the places we lived added value to my life experience so I'm glad we did that.

      Arlee Bird
      Tossing It Out

      Delete
    3. Dang! You've lived all over the place. I've been in most of the states, but only lived in three of them.

      I like both TN and KY and could probably live there pretty happily if not for that humidity.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  2. That was a lot closer than I expected! WKRP was a hilarious show and I loved it a lot, but the music was too 'pop' for my taste. Great lyrics, though! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in, DEBBIE!

      I see we have a new avatar photo in use. Gotta keep it fresh, right?

      I haven't been on the computer much the last couple days but I saw you did a post about 'RIDERS ON THE STORM'. I simply must get over there to check that one out today.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
    2. I don't know about 'fresh', since I'm getting older by the day. Let's call it 'truth in advertising', although I prefer the younger image. I didn't see a comment from you on the 'Riders' post. Hope there wasn't another technical problem. You've read it before, anyway. It's the one about the fatal car crash. Wednesday's post, I'll be talking about the (funeral) visitation. You might find it interesting.

      Delete
    3. DEBBIE ~
      Yes, I went to the blog bit and saw that it was one I'd read and commented on previously. Figured any comment I'd leave would be essentially similar to what I'd already said.

      So far though, the comment section seems much better to me. The last few I've left -- using both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox -- have sailed right through. (Maybe it was that CommentLuv thingy you removed which was causing the problem.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
    4. I have a hunch you're right about the CommentLuv. Several others who use it have had issues, as well. Time to retire it. Too bad - it was a nice feature for commenters to have.

      Delete
    5. Maybe if they'd named it CommentLove instead it might have worked better. Bad spelling = Bad App? (I dunno. I'm just wingin' it. :o)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Who would have thought you "hassling" me about voting in your battle would give me that much power. I'm not sure my vote ever counted so much on this here blog.

    It was fun. Hay, you can hassle me any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Robin, you ruled this nest!

      Okie-dokie. Prepare thyself to be hassled unmercifully.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  4. Nice showing! I think you may have even ended up with more total votes than I did. I'm stepping out of my norm for the next battle. I also need to get my behind in gear because I haven't written any posts all month! Darn that AtoZ Challenge - it's all I can do to barely keep up this year!

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle
    #AtoZChallenge 1970's Billboard Hits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMQE ~
      I'm not even doing A2Z and I'm still way behind in commenting. (On my way to your BOTB Results post vedy, vedy soon! I promise!)

      Yeah, I'm planning to do A2Z again the very next time I have enough time for it (i.e, when I'm 6-feet under God's green earth).

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  5. Stephen,

    WOW, what a close vote! I still think "Moonlighting" should've won this one. The theme song is so darn good and is easily a tune that is nice to listen to other than at the show's beginning. Thanks for sharing the results of this fun battle, my friend and I'll see you on the 1st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      Thanks! And I agree that MOONLIGHTING is a very good song even in its own right, divorced from the theme song concept.

      A one-vote margin of victory. Beautiful. This is what I'm shooting for nearly every time out.

      See ya at the next round.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Check out my new blog @
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  6. Well I'm a bit late for this one but my vote would've gone to M*A*S*H. I love that instrumental. The show was magnificent. And the theme song, oh, how it brings back memories. Now, every time I hear it, it reminds me of the series finale of the show: I was in college at the time, in Youngstown Ohio, in the dorm and a huge crowd of us were all gathered in the TV room, watching the finale and eating tons of popcorn in our pajamas. By the end of the show, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. It was epic~ Well, maybe that's extreme, but it was indeed memorable.

    I haven't thought of Moonlighting in a long time! But I was a viewer of the show when it aired in primetime. Haven't seen it in reruns. Is it around anywhere? Maybe Netflix? I'll have to check it out. Would be cool to see a few episodes now.

    As for my favorite TV show of all time: No Way could I pick just one! I love TV! I think there are outstanding series, back in the day and even now. But what I did, just today in fact!, will give you an idea of one of my favs: I was cleaning up my TiVo and making room for more recordings on my "master" box (the living room) by deleting a bunch of recordings and transferring ones that I wanted to keep (those Keep Until I Delete ones): I transferred, from the living room box to the spare room box, 64 (yep, sixty four) episodes of Mod Squad. Ha! Love that show!! I'm stuck in the 70s, I tell ya. Love it there... :)

    Mod Squad probably was the show that got me started on my affection for cop and crime shows. I really dig detective shows, police procedurals, forensics shows, etc. NYPD Blue and Homicide are two of my top favs of yesteryear. And Columbo: it's such a classic and I still watch it today!

    As for current shows, I'm hooked on Shades of Blue, Chicago PD, SVU, Criminal Minds. And when I want some real life crime, I like to watch the Investigation Discovery (ID) channel. As for political thrillers (another of my favorite genres), I'm a huge fan of Homeland. That show is superior, in my opinion. House of Cards with Kevin Spacey, that one I need to get caught up on but I like it too. And I have to say that I'm really digging this seasons new PT, Designated Survivor (with Keifer Sutherland).

    Thanks be to someone for DVRs! I eventually get around to watching all these shows and they're great for when I have insomnia (like right now). And now that it's 4am and I have to get up in a few hours, I'm going to take my happy ass to bed and turn on the latest episode of Criminal Minds...

    Great battle Stephen! M*A*S*H all the way! Sorry I'm so late to the party...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MICHELE.
      I haven't seen a single episode of most of those shows you mentioned, and some of them I'd never even heard of before.

      Fun Fact about M*A*S*H: Many years later I could remember working on that final episode, of course, but could recall only two scenes I was in.

      Then a couple decades later I was watching that final episode again and when it was announced that the Korean War was over, many members of the 4077th were jumping around celebrating, hugging each other, etc. And I had the thought: I sure wish I'd been in that scene. It would be really cool to say you were in the shots when the Korean War ended.

      And guess what! Then I saw myself celebrating with the rest of the group. I was wearing a brownish bathrobe. And I even carried a stretcher off, passing from end to end of the camera's view at the conclusion of the scene. I was amazed that I had no recollection of us shooting that scene all those years later. That was a momentous point in the show and one I thought would have stood out in my mind but it didn't.

      BTW -- 'COLUMBO' was always a huge favorite of mine. That one would still rank very high on my list.

      Nice to hear from you again.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's so cool that you were in M*A*S*H period, but to be in the series finale in such a revered scene is uber-cool! I'll have to see if I can find the full episode on YouTube or Netflix so I can see you!

      I think I asked you before about your work in TV (and film?) but don't remember getting the full scoop. Please, if you feel like it, tell me about those experiences. I would love to hear all about them! Feel free to shoot me an email. Will look forward to hearing from you.

      Have a good week,
      michele

      Delete
    3. MICHELE, it's great to see you're becoming more active again in the blogosphere.

      In case you have never seen it before (and it sounds like you haven't) then [Link:) THIS BLOG BIT may be of some interest. It goes into a good amount of detail about my M*A*S*H years.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
    4. Thanks Stephen. I'll definitely give it a read.
      I should be coming back to BOTB in June. I've been outrageously busy these last few months but things are finally getting back to manageable. I'm getting company this Thursday who will be staying for a few weeks so I won't be able to do battles until next month. But I'm looking forward to getting back in the groove...

      Delete
    5. We will warmly welcome you back into the club, MICHELE. [:^)}

      ~ D-FensDogG
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.