.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

BOTB RESULTS FOR JUNE 15, 2017 (Or, PHIL COLLINS VS. MERRY CLAYTON VS. FRANKY PEREZ)

.
.
STMcC’s Vote On '2017, June 15th: Battle Of The Bands' (Or, 'Phil Collins Vs. Merry Clayton Vs. Franky Perez') And The Final Tally:
.
Hokey-Smoke! I have a "SONGS TO BOTB SOMEDAY" list with so many match-ups on it, and many of them have been on the list since Day 1 of Battle Of The Bands. But sometimes an idea will occur to me and I will run with it on a whim, rather than using one of my match-ups that have been waiting patiently for years on my BOTB list.
.
This was one of those instances where I went with an idea that popped into my mind suddenly -- inspired by the upcoming changing of the BOTB schedule for this blog. (From now on, one Battle per month, occurring on the 15th.) My mind jumped to the Bob Dylan classic, 'THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'', and I went to see what the potential cover versions had to offer, settling on three distinctively different treatments of the song.
.
I figured that due to "name brand" familiarity, PHIL COLLINS was probably the favorite to win the Battle, with the all-Spanish version by FRANKY PEREZ being the underdog. I thought all 3 covers of this song were quite good and so I hoped for a tight race. But the Battle turned out even better'n I'd hoped for!
.
After a total of 12 votes had been cast, the score was 4 to 4 to 4. You just can't even hope for a closer contest than that! With 16 votes in, Franky still had 4, while Phil Collins and MERRY CLAYTON had 6 each. And you know what that means? It means that MY OWN VOTE gets to determine the winner! This is my very favorite of ALL Battle Of The Bands potential outcomes. I love it when I get the final say! You can't beat that!
.
Well, as I stated, I enjoy all three recordings, but my favorite is definitely that Black Gospel version by MERRY CLAYTON With The Brothers And Sisters Of Los Angeles. I truly dig that Gospel style and I own a fair number of albums in that genre -- heck, I've got 5 discs just by Mahalia Jackson alone!
.
Phil Collins = 6 votes
Merry Clayton = 7 votes
Franky Perez = 4 votes

.
For a BOTB contest that I just put together quickly on the spur of the moment, this one turned out to be a true gem!
.
As always, I thank every one of you who took the time to listen and submit a vote. Y'all made this a really fun Battle for me! And I hope to see you all here again on JULY 15th for my next BOTB installment here at this blog. Thanks!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

10 comments:

  1. Now I can sleep well tonight , because the world is as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great battle! I'm impressed by how close of a margin the votes were. Looking forward to seeing what you pull out of your hat for next battle.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MMQE! I'm glad you enjoyed this Battle. I did too -- much more than I thought I would.

      Not exactly certain yet what my July 15th BOTB match-up will be, but I'm thinking perhaps I'll pull a 'ROCKY' movie themes Battle out of my hat.
      [;^)}

      ~ D-FensDogG
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  3. Like you I've had a list of someday Battles accumulating and still I keep thinking of new ones to add to it. I think I'll really need to go back to the 1st and 15th schedule when September comes.

    Great outcome. Phil Collins already has plenty of fame and fortune so I guess Merry Clayton could use this win. Won't make them any money I guess, but now a few more people have heard about them.

    Good Battle!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LEE! Yeah, for a Battle that I approached as just a kind of throwaway, it turned out stupendously. Really, I was just playing on the theme of BOTB changing its times to only the 15th of each month for most of us. So, I just kind of tossed this one off as a sort of "novelty" Battle, and I didn't expect it to be such a wire-to-wire contest. Fun stuffs!

      I'll certainly vote on any Battle you post, regardless of the date. And that's not something you could say about everyone, is it?

      ~ D-FensDogG
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  4. Sorry to have missed the battle, but I severely needed a break from all internet activities for awhile. My vote would have been for Franky Perez. The entire Sons of Anarchy soundtrack is fabulous (as is the show itself)! I'll be using your suggestion (hint: Eric Burdon) on July 15th. Thanks for giving me that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, DEBBIE.

      Ahh, right. That Eric Burdon idea. That should make for a pretty interesting Battle. I'm looking forward to seeing you put it together. (I should steal that one back for me. Ha! Kiddin'. He's yer guy, so it's only fitting that you should present that match-up.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  5. What an awesome battle outcome! Love that!!! It's one thing to have a two-way tie, but a three-way?? A musical menage a trois...

    Glad Merry Clayton won. I voted for her version.

    Excellent battle!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MICHELE! Yeah, this was a surprisingly neat Battle. I just kind of threw it together on a whim, never imagining that it might turn out so well.

      Typical of BOTB though, right? I mean, always lots of surprising twists and turns.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.