.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

BOTB RESULTS -- 2017, NOV. 15: Or, RANDY NEWMAN VERSUS WAYLON JENNINGS

.
First things first... I sincerely thank each one of you who took the time to listen, think, and write in your vote votes on my latest installment of BATTLE OF THE BANDS (BOTB). It was a nice 20-voter turnout! And I again wish to thank Sixgun McItchyfinger whose suggestion that I return to the "Battle For Los Angeles" concept was the inspiration for this fun contest!
.
It was Randy Newman's 'I LOVE L.A.' versus Waylon Jennings' 'HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH TO LIVE IN L.A.?' The yin vs. the yang. Both songs and accompanying videos were competing against each other. Although I personally like BOTH Songs and BOTH Videos, I figured in the latter category, Randy had a huge advantage since his video was professionally produced and got heavy airplay in the years of "Music Television" (MTV). Is there anybody who hadn't seen it before? Doubtful.

One thing I find curious about Randy Newman's video for I LOVE L.A. is the fact that he included a shot of the "Jesus Saves" sign on a rooftop downtown (now long gone) but did NOT include a shot of the world famous "Hollywood" sign. I mean, the "Hollywood" sign is perhaps the third most iconic American landmark -- after the Statue Of Liberty and Mount Rushmore -- and yet Randy ignored it in favor of a Religious / Spiritual sign that only Angelenos knew existed. Interesting!
.
PHOTO BY STEPHEN T. McCARTHY
.
As funny as I think the Waylon Jennings video was (created by a Waymore fan), like so many others, I also voted for the Randy Newman video. It includes so many shots of places I knew very well, and it takes me back to a time when The Boys and I -- The League Of Soul Crusaders -- were drunk, disorderly, and laughing like it was going out of style. ("John Wayne! John Wayne!") We were the wildest things we'd ever seen.

I think that I LOVE L.A. music video might be the best one I ever saw. IMO, it is nearly perfect. Not quite perfect, but nearly so. I love the way the images flash in-sync with the beat of the song, and the way Randy Newman really IS driving on the streets he names.
.
.
Yes, that's really the Western-most point of Santa Monica Boulevard! On the horizon, behind their cool car, is the Pacific Ocean.

Off the top of my mind this morning, the only music video I can think of that I might like better'n I LOVE L.A. is John Fogerty's 'THE OLD MAN DOWN THE ROAD'.
.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSGMRZsN4Q

.
One of the images I especially like is of the happy "bum" on his knees at Venice Beach:
.
.
Some may not know this, but supposedly the Classic Rock group, THE DOORS, was conceived one day when Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek were hanging out at Venice Beach together. Jim read Ray some of his poetry and Ray said: Let's start a Rock band!
.
THE DOORS AT VENICE BEACH
.
THE DOORS STILL AT VENICE BEACH
.
And below is a shot of THE DOORS at the canals, back around the [link:> "Dogtown" era, when Venice Beach was known as "The ghetto by the sea". Or, "Where the trash meets the surf". Today, you need millions of dollars to buy a house along the Venice canals:
.
THE DOORS AT THE VENICE CANALS
.
Another image from Randy's I LOVE L.A. video that puts a smile on my face is "Randy's Donuts"...
.
.
That donut shop was (still is?) situated right at a freeway offramp where I used to exit on the way to my "Sign Designing" job in '84.

Well, not too surprisingly, Randy Newman easily won the Video Battle:

Randy Newman = 16 votes
Waylon Jennings = 4 votes
.
The Song Battle was a different story!

Although Randy Newman jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead, Waylon Jennings eventually came roaring back. Arlee Bird voted for Randy's video and Waylon's song. Sixgun McItchyfinger did the same. And so did I. Clearly, the Biblical Apocalypse begins today at Noon!!!
.
Although I enjoy the song I LOVE L.A., I think that divorced from its wonderful video with all the colorful, humorous images, it ain't all that. And this might explain why the video was an MTV staple but the song itself never even cracked the Billboard Top 100. I mean, consider these lyrics:

Look at that mountain
Look at those trees
Look at that bum over there, man, he's down on his knees
.
There's nothing special about those lyrics. Not until you add the images that accompany them in the video:

Disneyland's Matterhorn Mountain roller coaster ride
Goofy-looking, good-for-nuttin' Palm Trees
A happy bum in the sun, at the feet of a pretty girl on the beach boardwalk
.
OK, now you've got something!
.
Musically and vocally, I think Waylon's HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH TO LIVE IN L.A. is considerably superior to Newman's I LOVE L.A. You've got that electric guitar and fiddle high-energy buzzsaw sound combined with Waylon's manly baritone vocals and lyrics that can stand on their own:

People dodging bullets crawling down the Interstate
...
They keep waiting for "the Big One", one tremor at a time
There ain't nobody living there...
...It's all a state of mind
.
Waylon's words alone create the images in my mind and make me laugh.
.
The vote tally for the Song Battle wound up like this...

Randy Newman = 10 votes
Waylon Jennings = 10 votes
.
And the MAGIC 8-BALL got BOTH of its predictions wrong. All is right with the world. ...Except for that Apocalypse beginning at Noon.
.
Again, I genuinely thank you all for participating. And I hope you will return here again on December 15th for my Christmas themed Battle Of The Bands installment. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
.
THE  END!  THE END!!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

17 comments:

  1. Well done, Mr. McCarthy! I liked the separate video and song competitions. You chose two worthy competitors.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JANIE. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  2. URL to the RANDY NEWMAN Vs. WAYLON JENNINGS 'Battle Of The Bands' blog bit:

    http://stmccpresentsbattleofthebands.blogspot.com/2017/11/2017-nov-15-battle-of-bands-or-randy.html

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what about those voting results!

    I remember that I used to see that big donut a lot, but I can't recall the last time I saw it. I guess I'd see it on my way to the airport, but I haven't been there in a while.

    I might have mentioned this before, but nearly every time I've gotten an out of town visitor we almost always will pay a visit to Venice Beach. It's just too weird and unique of a place to not take people.

    I've got an L.A. music video that I plan to use in an upcoming Battle--maybe Dec 15th.

    Good Battle with a good response.

    By the way, I don't remember ever having seen that Fogerty video, but it's pretty nifty.

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      Yes, sir, one would see RANDY'S DONUT on the way down to LAX. I got off the freeway every morning (Mon-Fri, 1984) on my way to work in Inglewood, where I designed internally-lit Plexiglas signs for businesses.

      Believe it or not, VENICE BEACH is the most popular L.A. tourist destination after Disneyland. At least, I read that years ago. I would definitely recommend VENICE BEACH over the Universal Studios Tour or some of the other popular tourist attractions. VENICE is probably the best free freak show in the U.S.! I practically lived down there at one time. Ha!

      Someday, I'd like to watch that Fogerty video and count how many cuts or edits there are in it. Just out of curiosity. Because they did a great job of giving the viewer it was one continuous shot. But I'd guess there are at least 16 edits, and probably several more, even, than that.

      Looking forward to your 12/15 Battle, Brother!

      Have a nice Turkey Day!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
  4. Al Bondigas here. Absolutely Waylon's song is far superior to Newman's. But, Im sure you know where I was coming from with my vote for I Love L.A. The song and video just fit so perfectly, and what with our history in L.A. I really wanted to give my rulin' fer Waylon, but, I'm an honest judge, not a liberal one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUDGE AL BONDIGAS ~

      "When they itemize insanity, how will you pay?"

      >>... "I'm sure you know where I was coming from with my vote for I Love L.A."

      I DO!
      You were coming from B.C. at Marie Callender's all-you-can-drink Champagne Brunch in Marina Del Rey. And you were on your way to Venice Beach for a day of roller skating with Torch and... uh... people- (and booty-) watching. Amiright?

      I get it. I really do.

      'I LOVE L.A.' is a magic mix of sounds and visuals. And when someone has as much personal, fun-loving history associated with those locations, it's rather... uhm... "intoxicating".

      Good show! I always, Always, ALWAYS want honest rulin's. Let's keep it Constitutional, Brother Nappy!!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
    2. Well, I have been workin out.

      Delete
    3. And it shows!!

      Another jar of strained peas for you?

      BTW, IMO, Randy Newman also scored 100 Song points for mentioning "THE BEACH BOYS".

      We can't overlook THAT!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
    4. Now, I'm not sayin' it was your people, nor am I sayin' I was invited to be part of the conversation but I am saying that I do find some comfort in being able to come to this blog and be reminded about the remarkable times we had. Should I order a pizza now?
      JW,
      Pooh

      Delete
    5. Now I’m not sayin it was yer people either, but I’d appreciate it. In fact, if you’d go to Jack in the Box, hang yer ass out and yell “bring back the clown”, I would gladly pay for those pizzas. Now out the way move it!!

      Delete
    6. Did you notice the credits? Pooh2009?

      Delete
    7. NAPPY: I'm close to giving up on the idea they'll ever "bring back the clown".

      POOH: Quite a coincidence, huh?

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  5. Hmmm..., Y'all.

    It just dawned on me that technically the MAGIC 8-BALL was NOT wrong about its Song prediction...

    Question: Will Randy Newman win the "Song" Battle?
    Magic 8-Ball sez: "My Reply Is No"


    That's TRUE! Randy did NOT win. He and Waylon tied!!

    But then when I consider that Randy Newman won the Video Battle 16-4, and the MAGIC 8-BALL predicted this...

    Question: Will Waylon Jennings win the "Video" Battle?
    Magic 8-Ball sez: "It Is Decidedly So"


    ...I'm not inclined to cut the MAGIC 8-BALL much slack.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun battle, Stephen! ☺ I agree that Waylon's song had a lot more depth, but I couldn't get past that country twang. Not my thang. A tie seems like the right outcome. Loved the John Fogarty vid! Looking forward to your Christmas-themed battle. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWANG ain't yer THANG?

      No worries, Debbie. I'm just glad you enjoyed the Battle.

      Funny but when I listen to Waylon (which is quite often) I really don't hear much, if any, twang. But perhaps that's because my ears compare him to Country singers like Dwight Yoakam or some of those old school Country-Western singers like Hank Williams. Now that's serious twang, and even I have trouble with that sometimes!

      Take care, have a great holiday, and I'll see ya again in the middle o' December.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.