.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, February 15, 2019

2019, FEB. 15: BATTLE OF THE BANDS (Or, ANTON KARAS VS. EDDIE COCHRAN)

..
Reno Vs. Carson City, Male Vs. Female, War Vs. Peace, Light Vs. Dark, Good Vs. Evil, Man Vs. Machine, Love Vs. Hate, Dog Vs. Cat, Sun Vs. Moon, Brain Vs. Brawn, Oscar Vs. Grammy, Angel Vs. Demon, Laurel Vs. Hardy, Beer Vs. Wine, TV Vs. Radio, Pitcher Vs. Batter, Paper Vs. Plastic, Reality Vs. Fantasy, Yeshua Vs. Beelzebub, Conservative Vs. Liberal, You Vs. Me, House Vs. Senate, Offense Vs. Defense, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Spy Vs. Spy, Fischer Vs. Spassky, W.C. Fields Vs. Sobriety, Harold Gimpy, Jr. Vs. Sheldon J. Pismire, Rock Vs. Paper Vs. Scissors, Islam Vs. Everything, Singer Vs. Singer, Band Vs. Band...
.
BATTLE OF THE BANDS (BOTB)
.
.
Shoop-Shooby -
Shooby-Duh-Dooby-Doop-Dooby-Dooby-Doo-Wah -
Buh-Doo-Wah!
.
Yes, it's time once again for 'Battle Of The Bands' ('BOTB').
.
Eugene Martone Vs. Jack Butler
.
Well, the big move from Reno to Carson City has been kinda-sorta made. Actually, I'm still in limbo. Due to the lousy weather, all my plans went South and my life is still in disarray. (Not Disarray, Washoe County, but the independent city of Disarray, Nevada!) So much for the news of the day. Alright, let's get on it. Let's get ON this thing!...
.
Goodniks Vs. No-Goodniks
.
From Wackypedia:
.
"The Third Man Theme" (also known as "The Harry Lime Theme") is an instrumental written and performed by Anton Karas for the soundtrack to the 1949 film The Third Man.
.
The Third Man is a 1949 British film noir, directed by Carol Reed. One night after a long day of filming The Third Man on location in Vienna, Reed and cast members Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli and Orson Welles had dinner and retired to a wine cellar.
.
In the bistro, which retained the atmosphere of the pre-war days, they heard the zither music of Anton Karas, a 40-year-old musician who was playing there just for the tips. Reed immediately realized that this was the music he wanted for his film. Karas spoke only German, which no one in Reed's party spoke, but fellow customers translated Reed's offer to the musician that he compose and perform the soundtrack for The Third Man. Karas was reluctant since it meant traveling to England, but he finally accepted. 
.
Karas wrote and recorded the 40 minutes of music heard in The Third Man over a six-week period, after the entire film was translated for him at Shepperton Studios.
.
The composition that became famous as "The Third Man Theme" had long been in Karas's repertoire, but he had not played it in 15 years. "When you play in a café, nobody stops to listen," Karas said. "This tune takes a lot out of your fingers. I prefer playing 'Wien, Wien', the sort of thing one can play all night while eating sausages at the same time."
.
Quite a few very stylistically different versions of this tune have been recorded, and one could put together a goodly number of BOTB contests using them. I have decided to use the Anton Karas original against a rendition recorded ten years later by one of the earliest Rock 'N' Rollers, Eddie Cochran. For whatever reason, Eddie called his recording 'Fourth Man Theme'.
.
Incidentally, I've seen 'The Third Man' a couple of times. It's a good film and I recommend it. (I'm sure Birgit recommends it, also. Right, Birgit? )
.
Wackypedia has more interesting stuffs about Anton Karas HERE
.
Godzilla Vs. King Kong
.
The Third Man - Anton Karas (1949)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEsWi88Qv0

.
Riddler Vs. Batman
.
The Fourth Man - Eddie Cochran (1959)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRfkplZAEcQ

.
The Battle Within The Battle
.
.
VERSUS
.
.
Question: "Will Eddie Cochran beat Anton Karas?"
.
The Magic 8-Ball (13-8) sez:  "My Reply Is No"
.
The Amazing Sixwell (15-6) sez:  "Signs Point To Yes"
.
Alright now, “you know the gig”... I welcome you (whether I know "you" or notto vote for your favorite of these songs in the comment section below. And feel free to tell us WHY you chose one song over the other.
.
After voting here, I suggest - actually I insist - you pop over to the blogs of the other 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' participants to see which songs they have chosen and vote there also. (If their ‘BOTB’ blog bits aren’t posted yet, pour yourself two shots of ‘Grand Marnier’ over ice – do it twice – and then return to their blogs to vice your voice ...vote your vice ...voice your vote.)
.
Voice Your Vote...
@ ‘TOSSING IT OUT’ by clicking HERE.
@ 'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS' by clicking HERE.
@ 'CURIOUS AS A CATHY' by clicking HERE.
@ 'THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING' by clicking HERE
@ 'JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE' by clicking HERE.
@ 'THE DOGLADY'S DEN' by clicking HERE.
@ 'CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE' by clicking HERE.
'AI LOVE MUSIC' by clicking HERE.
.
As I've done in the past, I will continue to return to my 'BOTB' blog bits on the 7th and 21st of each month to post my own votes and announce the winners in the comment sections.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

34 comments:

  1. Fascinating story, Stephen! It didn't ring any bells, except for the movie title, until I clicked on the first video. Now I remember! ☺ Anton Karas' zither is reminiscent of Greek bouzouki music, which I love. Eddie Cochrane had more of a "surf" vibe. Also good, but my vote goes to the original by Anton Karas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa, DEBBIE ~
      Thanks for checking in and getting the ball rollin' on this Battle. Yeah, I can understand why you'd prefer the original, with its association to those European regions that call to your heart.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. Gosh, this song goes way back for me--I guess I've heard it since I've been born because it used to get so much airplay and versions were on some of the albums my mother used to listen to. I've always liked the tune--not much not to like.

    The choice you offer is kind of a tough one since Cochran's version is so much like the ones I'm used to hearing. However, with my accumulated knowledge of music over a lifetime I'm more drawn to the more authentic style of Karas. Really nice work.

    I vote for Anton Karas.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, LEE ~
      I'm glad you liked this Battle. I just kind of threw it together quickly as I didn't have much time to really concentrate on a BOTB installment, what with the move an' all.

      For one I just kind of tossed off, I don't think it's too bad of a Battle. But I'm really looking forward to my next one. I hope I'm feeling like my old self by March 1st. This move has been brutally stressful and taken a whole lot outta me. And the damned thing isn't even quite over yet.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. I liked the first one better, Anton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIKE ~
      My name is Stephen, not Anton. ;-)
      But I've got yer vote recorded nonetheless.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. McIrishBrotherofthesamecolor,

    The first few seconds of Anton Karas plucking a violin made my ears hurt. Then he parlayed into Leon Redbone mode. Redbone happened after 1949 but you gotta admit the Redbone sound is darn good, I'll tell you what. Upon first listens, I founf Cochran more listenable/more palatable. Upon second listen, Karas sounds really good, especially starting at the 10 second mark.
    I vote for Karas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McG DOGG ~
      Welcome back, my friend, to the Battle with no end!

      I thank you, sir, for taking your vote seriously enough to actually give both songs more than a single listen, just to make sure you felt confident that you were getting your vote correct. I appreciate the devotion to accuracy, McBruhthuh!

      ~ Stephen
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. Howdy Carson City Boy

    Just stopping in for a brief chat before my inbox explodes again. Got the inbox down to about 25 pieces left to read, after reading a good 200+ with the delete key.

    Sorry to hear that Mother Nature is making it difficult to get settled in quicker. Guess she really wants you to appreciate that new place, huh?

    Fun tune. I like both versions. Eddie Cochran sounded a bit heavy to me, but it really grew on me the more I listed to it. But in the end, Anton Karas remains as the better of the two.

    Truly a light-hearted tune. And now it's going to be stuck in my head for while. Thanks for that :)

    Off to read more email and write more posts... What a fun way to spend my Friday evening.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMQE ~
      I'm pleased as spiked punch that you dug the Battle.

      Yes, Mother Nature is a bitch, and she has turned a move that should have been like a walk in the park into a never-ending, grueling, and depressingly-buried-in-snow affair. I think it's taken several years off my life. And it's not even over yet, with the weather forecasters' promise of more heavy snow the day after tomorrow, and the day after that, too.

      I feel like I'm in The Twilight Zone or something. Worst move I've ever had to make, and that by a very large margin. But enough of my bellyaching. Everyone's got their problems, and most are much worse than mine.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  6. I liked both versions of this, as well as both artists, but Anton Karas on the zither is a classic. No way I couldn't vote for him. Anton Karas gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JOHN ~
      Yeah, I had you figured as a vote for Karas right from the get-go. (Pretty often I am able to fairly accurately guess how folks'll vote.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  7. I like both these versions, but am pretty shocked that - at least at this point in the voting of what you've posted - that Eddie Cochran has NO VOTES.

    Well, he's got one now.

    I can only imagine that this shutout was kind of luck, like rolling snake eyes five times in a row. Sure, your readers liked it better. Today. But on a different day, maybe not. This Greek-sounding style is not something they could live with long term.

    I'll tell you what, my droogs: let me strap you into a chair, prop your eyelids open with toothpicks and make you listen to this Melina-Mercouri-sounding strumming for three days while watching Quentin Tarantino movies. ( https://gph.is/1cLHZva )

    Eddie Cochran will sound pretty good by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!-Ha! I liked yer comment, SIXGUN!

      I had to look up Melina Mercouri because I'm not sure I ever even heard of her before. I checked her IMDB page and I know I've never seen any of her movies. 'A Clockwork Orange', however, I have indeed seen. Weird, depressing movie.

      And as you know, forcing me to watch Quentin Tarantino movies (with or without eyelids propped open with toothpicks) would be the torture of tortures. I really detest that guy. He's even hard to look at. And, normally, I never mock people for the looks God gave them, but I'll make an exception for the hideous Quentin. I think his face is his own fault, somehow.

      Thanks for busting up the shutout, McBrother!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  8. I am sorry that mother nature has made things a bit tedious but yay for moving to Carson City! I hope you enjoy it, I never been there and I don't know if Ever visit. Maybe I will, my parents want me to visit California and Arizona next time I come to the US.

    My vote goes to Eddie Cochran/ I think because I like the modern sound and it's doesn't feature a high^pitched guitar strumming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMY ~
      Thanks for coming by and supporting Eddie. The poor guy needs all the help he can get!

      I was born and raised in Southern California, and I've lived 21.5 years in Arizona. Both states have a lot of beauty. And I think I'd really like Carson City... if it would ever stop snowing for longer than a day or two!! It's been one hell of a rotten welcoming.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  9. If someone has not seen The Third Man, then shame on them! Hahahaaa that film is excellent and, did you know, I stood in the exact same doorway when Harry Lime was found to be alive? Yup I have a picture of me being overly dramatic:) I vote for Anton Karas all the way! I have this on a CD of ANTON Kara’s music and I have onecd done by a man whom I asked play this when I was in Prague..a highlight of that trip. When my mom’s 50th anniversary of coming to Canada came( December 16, 2006), I got a DVD made of her life up until that point and the music is...yup this theme. This theme just goes with post WW2 Austria and Germany so I can only go with the original theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIRGIT ~
      Ha! Wow! Well, you sure are a 'Third Man' fan! Even more so than I figured. And there was never the slightest doubt in my mind that your vote would be going to Anton Karas without a moment's hesitation.

      Thanks for coming by and contributing your $0.02, even though your preference was never in question. Your vote for the original was one I'd have bet every single penny I have or ever will have on! [;oD}

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  10. Hey Stephen,

    So you're in limbo with your move, what a bummer! I hope the weather improves soon so you can get settled into your new place.

    Now for the battle at hand. This was easy for me. I preferred the slightly rock temp of Eddie Cochran to the original. Cochran's cover is more mellow and warm to my ear making for nice listening. Good battle! Have a great week, my friend and thanks for voting in my showdown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      Yes, I'm still somewhat in limbo, however, at least there *IS* a light at the end of the tunnel, showing dimly through the heavy snowfall. This mess should come to an end on Thursday, but there are still some logistical issues I'll need to navigate through.

      I hope this new town turns out to be everything I've thought and hoped it will be, because it sure was a struggle getting here. I never could have imagined that moving a mere 30 miles away could be a headache of this magnitude. But... God is good, and He'll see me through to the conclusion, I am certain.

      Eddie thanks you for your support! He was badly in need of it. Another thing I never could have imagined is that Eddie would be getting so thoroughly clobbered in this Battle. But then it is BOTB, and the only thing one can be certain of is that they can't be certain of anything.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  11. Wow, when I first popped in to check on this, Eddie was getting a one-sided beatdown. I thought I might be the only person to bote for him. I see that that has since changed. I'm not sure if it'll be enough to turn the tide, but at least my bote makes for a better fight.

    Both versions are pretty good, and Anton's has its unique charm, but I just really dig Eddie's sound. Give my bote to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J S-A ~
      Yeah, to my great surprise, Eddie was indeed getting a beatdown. He definitely seems to be trying to stage a comeback in these later rounds of the fight, but it may be too little too late.

      When I conceived of this Battle, my hunch was that it would probably go 180-degrees opposite of how it, in fact, IS going. But I've learned to expect the unexpected.

      Thanks for checkin' in with yer bote, Beer Bro!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  12. Al Bondigas here. Slam dunk rulin' fer Eddie Cochran. To tell you the truth, after awhile the Anton karas version kind of got on my nerves. Also, it was way too long for my liking. Eddie's kind of got me in a groove and transported me back to his era. Rulin' fer E Dog! That's it, that's muh rulin'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUDGE AL --
      You sure you don't wanna think about that a bit more? Perhaps you're being a bit hasty in yer rulin'. Whatchoo got against the zither, Willis
      - you hater you?!

      -- D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. And Al! No call on the most important day of my life? I got a text from your brother but not a peep from you you self-centered SOB!
      Coming from a loving place,
      Pooh

      Delete
    3. But no, but no, but no. I always thought that as long as one representative called, then it was official. Sometimes me, sometimes Mike W, and sometimes Stephen. I was thinking about you though. I'll let MW know that the tradition lives on. Happy belated Anniversary!!! THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!! Or at least in the vicinity of the emergency room. JW Jw.

      Delete
    4. Alrighty then Al, you are forgiven! JW

      Delete
  13. Cochran takes it all the way.

    I got the bug, brudder...back to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vitamin C - 2,000-3,000 milligrams every 3 hours. That's all ya need to know. (Well, that, *plus*... never, ever get a flu shot. That's almost the equivalent of admitting one thinks we walked on the Moon!)

      -- DFensDogG

      Delete
  14. And Stephen,
    I will be going to Vienna this summer and the Third Man is on my watch list. Good battle but no self-respecting person that I know would vote against Eddie Cochran....so that's my vote. Now do somethin!
    JW,
    Pooh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...AND, POOH...
      I ain't gon do nuttin', cuz you got 'er right, my ol' beer-drinkin' buddy.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  15. Eddie for the win
    I stand duly admonished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LELLY ~
      Glad you didn't let Eddie down. He deserves your support, even if he's dead and living in Rock 'N' Roll heaven now.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  16. ATTENTION PEOPLES!

    If you are interested in seeing the final vote tally for this 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' installment and my closing thoughts on it, you can put the following URL into your browser:

    https://stmccpresentsbattleofthebands.blogspot.com/2019/02/botb-results-2019-feb-15-or-anton-karas.html

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.