.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

BOTB RESULTS: 2019, MAY 15 (Or, BASIE VERSUS ADDERLEY VERSUS SETZER)

.
.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, May 15th: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or,  Count Basie Versus Cannonball Adderley Versus Brian SetzerAnd The Final Tally:
.
First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to all you kind folks who participated in my BOTB tribute to my dear, ol' Ma. You dun made it a goot juan!
.
The Battle / Tribute took place HERE and featured 3 of my Ma's favorite songs: 'April In Paris' by Count Basie, 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!' by Cannonball Adderley, and 'Since I Don't Have You' by Brian Setzer. And considering the fact that Setzer got the first 4 votes cast, and 5 of the first 6, this actually turned into a first-rate Battle.
.
The womens really seemed to go for Brian's sexy voice in that song. But being the [link> "confident heterosexual" I am, for me it was between 'April In Paris' and 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!' I really love both of those instrumentals. But the soulful build-up of Adderley's saxophone and the electric piano is what captures my own vote / bote.
.
So, here's how it turned out:
.
Count Basie = 4 votes
.
Cannonball Adderley = 5 votes
.
Brian Setzer = 6 votes
.
Pretty competitive outcome! Thanks, Everyone! I enjoyed it.
.
.
I wish I could speak as glowingly about our newest psychic, Sikike Phteven. He's gotten off to a bad start in his BOTB prognosticating career, and is kind of in my doghouse at the moment.
.
Prior to the Battle, Sikike Phteven stated: "You bet your sweet bippy that Cannonball'll win!"
.
I sure hope none of you bet and lost your sweet bippy over this Battle.
.
I spoke with Sikike Phteven (0-1) briefly about his ignoble start and here's what he had to say:
.
STMcC: How do you explain your very bold BOTB prediction being wrong?
.
SIKIKE PHTEVEN: This is a technique of the anti-psychics, to take dry humor + sarcasm literally and “fact check” it. Like the “Cannonball Adderley winning” thing, you’d have to have the social intelligence of a sea sponge to think it’s literal.
.
STMcC: Seriously? That's your excuse? You were just kidding?
.
SIKIKE PHTEVEN: Hey, if [link> a woman in Congress can get away with that in the mainstream media, it ought to work just as well on some nobody's blog. Er... I hope I wasn't out of line with that crack about the "nobody". As for the predictions, to borrow a quote from the greatest filmmaker of all time: My next one will be better.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

11 comments:

  1. I am one of the few gals who did not swoon to the guy’s voice. I voted for Adderley..oh well. Great battle and your mom is smiling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIRGIT ~
      Yip! Somehow you resisted Setzer's siren song (or sumpin' like that).

      Thanks! Believe it or not, I'm still unpacking stuffs since the move. And just yesterday, by a strange coincidence, I happened to come across an old diary my Ma had been keeping. I opened the diary at random and read an entry from September of 1993, and this is what she had written:

      "I was just listening to a tape Stephen made for me - 'April In Paris' - 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!' Boy, I'd like to be listening to "my music" when my time comes. Glad Stephen has gotten turned on to my music.

      How odd that the two songs she listed were two of the three I used in this Battle. And Brian Setzer's 'Since I Don't Have You' didn't even exist yet.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  2. That was a good race! I'm with you on that Adderly piece.

    My Battle was crazy close too! Results posting in a few hours.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      Yeah, this was a nice Battle, with first and third place separated by only two votes. Can't ask for anything better'n that!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  3. Stephen,

    I voted for Seltzer. *doing happy dance* WOW, your battle was really tight! Dear ole Ma would be happy to know that Brian Seltzer won this round and who knows maybe the good Lord whispered the results in her ear. :) Great battle! See ya on June 1st if not before, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa! CATHY, it's that you!

      Thanks! This was a goot juan, and I wouldn't be surprised if my Ma knows how it turned out. I think she'd have been pleased that every artist received multiple votes, keeping it all very close.

      See ya soon!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. Excellent outcome! Also, nice to see that it was a tight battle. Your Sikike was being sarcastic? A likely story! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DEBBIE ~
      Yip! This one was everything I'd hoped it would be.

      I think Sikike Phteven should run for Congress. He seems to have all the requirements for a stellar (or at least, typical) political career.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. Your tribute battle was a great one and I so enjoyed getting to hear a few of your Ma's favorite songs and seeing the family photos!
    I' glad my guy won. But what a great outcome considering the first 6 votes! Way to go.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, MICHELE!

      Sorry I'm so late getting here. It's been an interesting couple of days.

      Yip! This really looked like a hopeless blowout from the very beginning, and that shocked the bejabbers outta me because I felt sure this would be a real "battle".

      It's really interesting how the voting trend in some Battles changes dramatically as the days wear on.

      I'm praying for your Mom every day, Michele. Please keep us posted on her condition. No matter what, though, God is on the playing field and knows EXACTLY what He is doing. And all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (That's an STMcC original and you may quote me on that. Ha!-Ha! ;-)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  6. Sorry I’m so late to the party, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to learn more about your wonderful Ma.You’ve certainly inherited your electic taste in music from her, as well as your incredible sense of humor. I love your creative pet names and it sounds like Ma was a great sport with a heart of gold. I’m sure she was always and will continue to be very proud of you, Stephen. Thanks for sharing the wonderful family photos too.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.