.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

BOTB RESULTS: 2020, JAN. 1 (Or, THE VENTURES VERSUS WES MONTGOMERY)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2020, January 1st: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, The Ventures Versus Wes Montgomery - And The Final Tally:
.
.
Well, I'll be dogged! It's a brand new year, but another BOTB blowout. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the comment section yak, and I very sincerely thank each and every one of you who took the time to stop by, listen, and "bote" on my Battle. It was a pretty nice turnout considering the Battle was initiated on a holiday.
.
The contest took place HERE, and I had expected a lopsided result, but not as lopsided as it was. The song - in honor of my traditional 'Margarita Day' (aka New Year's Day) - was the song 'Tequila', and my contestants were The Ventures (surf guitar style) and Wes Montogomery (Jazz guitar style). The Ventures had 8 votes before Wes even managed to get on the scoreboard. It was an obvious blowout from the very beginning.
.
I like the song and I enjoyed BOTH renditions. But if I were going to try to use tequila itself to make an (xtreme) analogy about the difference in stylistic approaches to the song, I'd maybe say it was SeƱor Rotgut Tequila (The Ventures) versus [link> Gran Patron Platinum Tequila (Wes Montgomery). 
.
I love Wes Montgomery and all the little guitar flourishes he tosses in so effortlessly. The smoothness of his playing and his innate musical sense makes me favor his version. It would be a pretty rare day when I'd vote against a Wes recording. I love Montgomery's entire 'Tequila' album, which also sports one of my all-time favorite album covers, as well:
.
.
My personal review of the Wes Montgomery 'Tequila' album can be found [link> HERE. It's titled 'A SOUTH-OF-THE-BORDER SHOT OF WES (Salt Mandatory, Lime Wedge Optional)'.
.
.
Voting Tally:
.
The Ventures = (cranked it up to...) 11
.
Wes Montgomery = 5
.
Thanks again for playing along, all y'all! Please return here again on January 15th to read my special announcement regarding BOTB. (Psst! We have a new old BOTB participant joining our ranks... again!)
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

8 comments:

  1. It wasn't looking good when I got here to vote, but it wasn't quite the slaughter I expected. All things considered, Wes did all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOHN ~
      I expected Wes to do a bit better. But what really surprised me the most is that some of the votes that Wes *DID* get came from folks I figgered would actually be voting for The Ventures.

      After 6+ years, I'm now convinced that BOTB will never really get old because it remains very unpredictable to a large extent.

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! I know who you're talking about. ☺ And yes, it's always fun to see some surprises.

      Delete
    3. Yep! You were #1 on that list, DEBBIE. Followed by my Brother.

      And #1 on my list of people who voted for The Ventures when I expected them to vote for Wes is Sixgun McItchyfinger.

      BOTB will never really make complete sense. Evidenced by the fact that so many world-class psychics had trouble accurately predicting the outcomes and had to be killed off in bizarre accidents. ;^D

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
  2. Not surprised with this outcome. Your Wes Montgomery was like my Jimmy Scott. Great jazz guys who didn't get the love they deserved in our match-ups.

    Better luck next time.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      BOTB
      Will always be
      A mystery
      To me.

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
  3. Stephen,

    The battles go that way sometimes. Wes Montgomery's version is nice but it just wasn't what I was used to and I'd say that the case for most who voted for The Ventures. Wes' version is almost laid-back but again very nice. Thanks for reporting the outcome. I'll see ya around on the cyberblock then if not before, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      Yeah, most Battles are unpredictable, and I like that about them. And it's a very rare thing when I feel disappointed by an outcome. 99.90% of the time, I really don't care who wins, because that has nothing to do with my own opinions and preferences.

      See ya in a couple days, my friend!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.