.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Saturday, July 10, 2021

BOTB RESULTS: 2021, JULY 1 (Or, TOM PETTY VS. WARREN ZEVON)


.

Hokey-Smoke 'n' Hoo-Wee! I am late, Late, LATE to this "wrap-party". Sorry, but I been busy beginning a business. (Somehow, I'm not sure that STMcC is really the businessman sort.)

.

The Battle Of The Bands contest took place [link> HERE. It was another in my 'Battle For Los Angeles' series and it featured Tom Petty's 'Century City' versus Warren Zevon's 'Desperados Under The Eaves'

.

.

I had a lotta goofy fun in the comment section, and I thank y'all for stopping by to cast yer two cents into the BOTB kitty. Believe it or not, BOTB wouldn't be much fun if no one bothered to listen and vote. "Sailor Jerry" even showed up at one point, but that old sea dog was too drunk to bote!

.

Initially, I was skeptical that I would get much of a turnout for this Battle, but y'all came out in full force and I'm truly grateful for your participation. Thank you: MMQE, CAThy, Honest John, Arlee Boid, Birgit, Julio Seis-Abeja, G-DogG, Sheboyganboy VI, Gem Julie, dIEDRE, Mike, Flyin' Aardvark, Judge Al Bondigas, and Wild Thing. (Wild Thing, I still owe you a comment and a response - both "flying in" tomorrow, because... I can't do that sober.)

.

.

As for my own vote in this Battle - although I'm a real fan of both artists - I had to side with Warren Zevon in this match-up. First of all, 'Desperados Under The Eaves' is my favorite Zevon zong of all time. Both Number Six and Judge Al described it as being hymn-like, and they're right. 

.

Also, there are just so many things about that zong that tickle me. The singer is sure that if all of California fell into the sea due to a massive earthquake, his motel would still be standing until he paid his bill. Guffaw-Out-Loud! There have been times in my life when I too have had that same level of... optimism.

.

Warren Zevon sings that "all the salty Margaritas in Los Angeles" he's "going to drink 'em up". I happen to know from a biography I read that Zevon was a big fan of the Margaritas at El Coyote Mexican Restaurant in L.A., so that's probably the place he had in mind when writing that line. (And, by coincidence, back in the day, El Coyote was also MY favorite place for Margaritas -- and that was a great many years before I learned that Zevon sang the same praises! In fact, I had moved to Phoenix years before I learned about the Zevon & El Coyote connection.)

.

.

And lastly, the way Zevon sings over and over "Look away, down Gower Avenue" has always intrigued me! First of all, Gower is a street (not an avenue) in what used to be a very scroungy part of Hollywood, where the tourists wouldn't go. I remember it well. It ran adjacent to the western side of Paramount Studios, and just to the north of Paramount was the Hollywood Cemetery where (if memory serves me) Rudolph Valentino and/or Bela Lugosi are buried. I used to hang out in the "Gower Gulch" area sometimes. I understand they've cleaned it up quite a bit since the 1970s, but it used to be a real scummy area full of winos, druggies and people like me.

.

The way Zevon sings that lyric, it seems to imply that he believes there is some sort of redemption or salvation down on Gower. And I have ALWAYS WONDERED what he had in mind while singing that line over and over toward the end of the song. (Maybe he was thinking of some prostitute he knew who worked on Gower?! I dunno. But 45 years later, I still find it intriguing!) 

.

Tom Petty = 4 votes

Warren Zevon = cranked up to 11... votes

.

.

Once again, I thank you all for your BOTB participation and for the fun exchanges in the comment section. I hope to see all y'all here again for my next Battle scheduled for August 1st.

.

~ Stephen T. McCarthy

.

11 comments:

  1. McStephen ~
    First of all good battle and all that jazz...
    Second of all - a new bidness? you are getting curiouser and curiouser to me. And I am full of questions - such as what type of bidness? Is it legal in all the states? Is the pay and hours bettern'before?
    Since you've been away (albeit not incarcerated - I think I've watched too much Paternity Court to grasp that meaning of the phrase)I, too, have started a new bidness. But I don't think you're the right clientele as you are a confident heterosexual and I just can't picture you wearing fancy nail polish.

    Glad to have you back in the bloggin' biz!

    ~MMQE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMQE ~
      Yes, indeed, you are correct about that being my Brother and I posing with Sandy Koufax at Dodger Stadium in July of 1962. You either have a very fine eye for detail or else you are extraordinarily psychic. Both? (I don't know why Nappy got to have the left hand of god wrapped around him instead of me!)

      >>... what type of bidness? Is it legal in all the states?

      Ha!-Ha!
      Yes, it's legal [Link> in all 57 or 58 of the states that Barack Obama visited during his 2008 presidential campaign.

      My buddy, Julio - who is also a [Link> "CONFIDENT HETEROSEXUAL" - and I are just underway in trying to get a T-shirt and bumper sticker bidnizz off the ground. It's been frustratingly slow going so far, and although we are working on several very different kinds of designs, so far only 3 have been completed and only 2 of those 3 have become available to buy yet, due to the mental capacity (aka "66-I.Q. points") of the I.T. Millennials at the host site.

      But here's what we've got up so far:

      [Link> Jesus Saves 'N Surfs

      [Link> Good Vibrations

      [Link> Willoughberry Enterprises shop

      [Link> Willoughberry Enterprises profile

      >>... I don't think you're the right clientele as you are a confident heterosexual and I just can't picture you wearing fancy nail polish.

      Hmmm.... Show me my color options!
      (Got any Batman nail decals or maybe some Benny Hill?)

      Good luck wid the new bidnizz!
      If mine ultimately fails, I may try to reinvent myself. (It seems to be all the rage these days!) And if so, I'll get back to you on those nail color polishes.

      Thanks for the kind words! Glad to be back, even if only in a limited capacity.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. Hello Stephen T! I was so happy to get your long email from quite some time ago, and I meant to reply in a decent amount of time, but I don't think I did...did I? It's not just you. I haven't kept up with emails and blogs in a long time. I spend too much precious time on that dang FB. I would gladly close up my page, except 99% of my relatives live all over the US, and they post lots of pics, especially of gorgeous babies, who are my great-nephews! OH..and I haven't thought of, or read anything about Benny Hill in years! Loved his show way back when!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, BECKY!

      How you? Sounds like you're doing alright. Long time, no yak.

      Honestly? I can't recall if you replied to my last long Email or not. I can't even recall how many cups of coffee I've had so far this morning. (Evidently, the answer is "not enough".) We'll just SAY you replied, and who could be the wiser?

      I never ever even opened a FB account. Which is just as well, because from what I hear, I'd have just gotten kicked off the site, anyway (like I did at Amazon in 2008). Our overlords give me an "F" in 'Plays Well With Others'. ;^)

      As long as you just "Oooh" & "Ahhh" over great-nephews at FB, and don't utter a single un-PC remark, you otter be just fine.

      I think Benny Hill was a genuine comedic genius and, because of the "nature" of his comedy, he never got the credit he truly deserved.

      And speaking of Benny, here's a link to one of my all-time favorite videos at YouTube:

      [Link> Llama Chase set to Yakety Sax

      Stay well and yak later, my friend!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Stephen T. I loved the llama chase! They were fast and sneaky! Something like Smokey and the Bandit, but faster & funnier...(is that a word?!) Oh, and sadly, Benny Hill was WAY before his time. P.S. If ya have a minute or two, please stop by my blog. I'm attempting to post more often like in the good old days of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BECKY-O! ~
      I am convinced that "blogging" was just a fad whose time has come and gone. (But like things such as the Hula-Hoop, Twister & Rock 'N' Roll, it'll continue to hang on in small corners of the universe.)

      The Masked Commenter has struck at your blog. (Psst! Never reveal his true identity. It's a matter of national security!)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. As always, I love your humor. Your name was mentioned in my July 18 post, way at the bottom in a P.S. :)

      Delete
  4. And Stephen,

    Back at the battles I see! Seein how I went to school with a Lennon Sisters sister who was in my class at St. Mark's. I'm voting for the Lennon Sisters. And the aforementioned sister was probably my first crush. I actually got her phone number and asked her out but she said her mom said no. First crush and first rejection. Now I know why I drank :). And to top it off a couple of her brothers and cousins were also going to my school and her cousin is now in the Band Venice with her younger brother Kip and older brother Dan. A very musical family.

    JW,
    Pooh!



    ReplyDelete
  5. And Stephen,

    Back at the battles I see! Seein how I went to school with a Lennon Sisters sister who was in my class at St. Mark's. I'm voting for the Lennon Sisters. And the aforementioned sister was probably my first crush. I actually got her phone number and asked her out but she said her mom said no. First crush and first rejection. Now I know why I drank :). And to top it off a couple of her brothers and cousins were also going to my school and her cousin is now in the Band Venice with her younger brother Kip and older brother Dan. A very musical family.

    JW,
    Pooh!

    August 3, 2021 at 9:10 PM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm late but I've been roaming the countryside and not on the internet much. Currently I'm wrapping up a stay at my oldest daughter's house in NJ and getting ready to head down to East TN with all my daughters and their families to stay at a camping resort in the Great Smokies. We'll be joined by my brother and sisters for a bit of a family reunion. It's been 2 years since my last trip and it's been going nicely so far. Hoping we don't encounter any extreme weirdness before we get back to Weird L.A. CA.

    Zevon really ran away with this one.

    Hope your summer wraps up well.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, BOIDMAN ~

      "Roaming the countryside" sounds like fun. I could use another road trip right about now. Unfortunately, though, at this point in my life, being away from home for 4 days & nights is about all I really enjoy. I guess it's an age thing, but being on the road for weeks at a time doesn't please me like it did when I was in my twenties and thirties. I plan for a week away, and by about Day 4 I'm already wishing I could go home again.

      Stay safe out there, weirdness is EVERYWHERE anymore. Hang in there, though, because The End is near.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.