.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Saturday, December 21, 2019

BOTB RESULTS: DEC. 15th, 2019 (Or, BURL, BOB, AND THE BOYS)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, December 15th: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Burl Versus Boys Versus BobAnd The Final Tally:
.
.
My last Battle Of The Bands installment for 2019 (may the likes of this year never be seen again!) took place [link> HERE. The song was 'The Little Drummer Boy' and our contestants were Burl Ives, The Vienna Boys Choir, and Bob Seger (not to be confused with Pete Seeger!) Several voters - myself included - felt the Battle was a goot juan, even though Big Burl didn't have much trouble whipping the competition.
.
I'm not a big fan of the Bob Seger rendition, as I don't really feel the prominent electric guitar and saxophone solos belong in a song about a drummer boy. (It almost seems as if Seger was saying: I may be singing a Christmas song, but don't forget I'm still really a rocker at heart!)
.
I truly LOVE both of the versions by Burl and The Vienna Boys Choir, and it's a pretty tough call for me. But I cast my BOTB bote for Big Burl, as I like the way he sings 'The Little Drummer Boy' in such a way that makes it feel very intimate, personal, and heartfelt.
.
Burl Ives = 8 votes
.
The Vienna Boys Choir = 4 votes
.
Bob Seger = 1 vote
.
Now for some sad news:
.
.
Carnac The Magnificent predicted the outcome of this Battle correctly, giving him a record of 4-2. Twice as many hits as misses - not bad at all. Unfortunately, however, Carnac got run over by a reindeer, walking home from my house the other evening. He'd been drinking too much egg nog and I begged him not to go, but he forgot his medication, and he staggered out the door into the snow. When I found him the next morning, at the scene of the attack, he had hoof-prints on his forehead and incriminating Claus marks on his back. I guess Carnac didn't see that coming. (They should never give a license to a man who drives a sleigh and plays with elves!)
.
Carnac will be missed, but BOTB will go on. In fact, I'll be back here again with a new Battle on "Margarita Day" (That's "New Year's Day" to you). With Debbie the Doglady out until January 15th, and Doc Cherdo taking a break until February, our first BOTB Blogfest of 2020 promises to be a meager affair. But the show must go on, and I hope to see all y'all here again. Until then, my friends, my friends, thanks for participating in BOTB, and I wish a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to you and yourn!!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

12 comments:

  1. Well, I think that turned out pretty much like it should have. The Boys are brilliant, but Burl is better.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Sheboyganboy and I all voted for Burl.
      You know what that means:
      "Duck and cover!!"
      (The end is near.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. Well damn. Good thing I gave Seger a vote. I'd hate to see him sit out in the cold without a vote.

    Looking forward to a new year, and hopefully some refreshed participants. Per usual, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my battle on the 1st.

    Have a Merry Christmas, StMac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>... I'd hate to see him sit out in the cold without a vote.

      Because,... baby, it's cold outside!

      Yeah, MMQE, I was pleased that you tossed Bob a bone, because that meant that none of my 3 participants had to endure a degrading shutout.

      A Merry Christmas to you too, my friend! See ya next year.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. Freaking Reindear! I think they secretly work for Krampus.

    Merry New Year and Happy Christmas babe. Try not to stumble in Carnac's hoofprints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WILD THING ~
      I think you're onto something with that idea of Rudolph & Company secretly working for Krampus. They've infiltrated Santa's Village and are using subterfuge to undo all the joy.

      I'll do my best to avoid the 'Reindeer Crossings' (and Reindeer droppings). You be safe out there on the roads, m'dear! See ya in 2020.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  4. I have always loved the sound of Burl's voice.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE JANIE ~
      I've always dug Burl's singing, too. And the fact that he appeared with James Dean in Dean's first movie even gives him a little "coolness" that ordinarily a guy who looks like Burl would find unobtainable.

      I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a safe and peaceful 2020!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. Merry Burlmas to everyone! May your waning days of December 2019 be peaceful and relaxing, rolling right into a glorious 2020 that knocks your socks off.

    You're a barefoot kinda guy, anyhow...

    Love,
    Cherdo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOC CHERDO ~
      Actually, I'm now more of a cowboy boot kinda guy. But I was definitely a barefoot kinda guy during my teen years, when every Summer was spent riding waves in view of Lifeguard Station #26 on Santa Monica Beach. (Really miss those years!)

      And a Merry Burlness to you and yourn!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      POSTSCRIPT: Where's my painting?!

      Delete
  6. I, too, am glad to see 2019 in the mirror. For me, it had one really good thing in it, a couple of pretty nice things in it, and an abundance of not so good stuff.

    Carnac - if he could - would say it was a lousy year. But then again, perhaps he is drinking in a dark corner of an unremarkable bar with Elvis, The Magic 8 Ball, and The Amazing Sixwell.

    And if they've heard that You, Me, AND Lee all voted for Burl, they're well lubricated and ready to dive under the table:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMnKNHNfznE

    Merry Christmas to you, your readers, Nappy, Bonehead, and the LOSC gang. And I'm still with you in hoping Tiny Tim gets his second hit record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHEBOYGANBOY McITCHYFINGER ~

      >>... perhaps he is drinking in a dark corner of an unremarkable bar with Elvis, The Magic 8 Ball, and The Amazing Sixwell.

      I am proud (and egotistical) to say that I have *NEVER* once had a drink in an unremarkable bar. And that is because my mere presence makes a bar remarkable.

      I still remember doing the 'Duck & Cover' exercises from 1st thru 4th grade at Iva Meairs Elementary School.

      'The Wizards Behind The Curtain' have ALWAYS loved to keep us in fear of one Bogeyman after another. But then I became Spiritually educated and realized that "*YOURS* [God's] *IS* [i.e., right now] *THE* [i.e., only] Power", and at that point, I stopped fearing Uncle Scam's many bogeymen.

      I thank you for the good wishes, and Nappy and I will be heading to Bailey's Fishing Pond in "Willoughberry" tomorrow to make our annual wish for Tiny Tim's second hit song. We thank you for your support, Muh Bruththuh!!

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.