.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, February 21, 2020

BOTB RESULTS: FEB. 15, 2020 (Or, TOM WAITS VS. TOM WAITS VS. TOM WAITS)

.
.
My unexpected February 15th BATTLE OF THE BANDS contest took place HERE, and it was Tom Waits versus Tom Waits versus Tom Waits. Guess who won!
.
The BOTB installment was actually a tribute to my late friend MARTY BRUMER, wherein I related to y'all what was probably his favorite of my many stories. And I also featured Tom Waits because Tom's 'BROKEN BICYCLES' was quite possibly Marty's very favorite song. But the theme was 'Songs That Mention Reno'.
.
Well, I'm walking on down Virginia Avenue
Trying to find somebody to tell my troubles to
Harold's Club is closing
And everybody's going on home
What's a poor boy to do?
~ Virginia Avenue
.
I told y'all how, in 1986, while on a road trip with my buddy Pooh and a stuffed dog named Muddy, I suffered the worst hangover of my life. After upchucking on Geiger Grade a 7&7 that I drank at Harold's club on Virginia Street in Reno, I spent the whole day and night lying in bed at the Sugarloaf Mountain Motel in Virginia City, Nevada.
.
.
Then with my double barrel shotgun and a whole box of shells
We'll celebrate the Fourth of July
We'll do 100 miles an hour spending someone else's dough
We'll drive all the way to Reno
On the wrong side of the road
~ Wrong Side Of The Road
.
I also told you how Pooh and I inadvertently drove out of Reno on the wrong side of a closed or unfinished stretch of freeway.
.
Hang on, Saint Christopher, on the passenger side
Open it up tonight the devil can ride
Hang on, Saint Christopher, now don't let me go
Get me to Reno, got to bring it in low
Put my baby on the flat car, got to burn down the caboose
Get 'em all jacked up on whiskey, then we'll turn the mad dog loose
~ Hang On, Saint Christopher
.
And I told you about that laminated night Pooh and I spent in Reno at Xenon's Lounge and Circus Circus, all jacked up on whiskey and... God only remembers what all else. (Black Russians? Gin & Tonics? Margaritas?) And how Pooh got so drunk he couldn't even find his way back to our motel without help from me.
{*Cough!-Cough!*}
.
Pooh at the Bucket Of Blood Saloon, 1986.
.
The exact same spot as it looks today (or, as it looked two days ago - Wed. Feb. 19, 2020.
..
I was pretty sure that 'Virginia Avenue', the most mainstream, most commercial-sounding (most "normal") of these three Tom Waits songs would win the Battle. And I figured that 'Wrong Side Of The Road', the most rough 'n' ragged sounding of the three songs, would come in third place. But this only shows to go ya how difficult predicting BOTB outcomes can be.
.
Virginia Avenue = 4 votes
.
Wrong Side Of The Road = 6 votes
.
Hang On, Saint Christopher = 3 votes
.
For me, the contest was definitely between 'Wrong Side' and 'Saint Christopher'. And it was SO-ooo close between those two songs that I decided in advance that if it came down to it, I would cast my vote in whatever way necessary to break up a tie, or to avoid creating a tie. But, thankfully, it didn't come to that, because 'Wrong Side' was going to win no matter how I voted.
.
After much deliberation, I gave my BOTB bote to 'Saint Christopher', by about a 51%-49% advantage.
.
It was a lower than usual turnout, but I thank every one of you who took the time to come by here and read my long, long story; listen to the 3 songs; and to cast a BOTB bote in my contest! Thank you, All!
.
I hope you'll return for my MARCH 1st BATTLE OF THE BANDS installment.
.
EXTRA  CREDIT:
.
At the peak of his powers, I think Tom Waits was an unsurpassed lyricist. I mean, it takes an extraordinary talent - I would argue a "genius" - to come up with lines like "Catch the tears of a widow in a thimble made of glass" and "Poison all the water in the wishin' well".
.
Although I never heard or read this anywhere, knowing how many references to people, places and things Tom Waits tended to use in his songs, I have long believed that most likely this verse...
.
Strangle all the Christmas carols
Scratch out all the prayers
Tie 'em up with barbed wire
And push 'em down the stairs
.
...was inspired by the following famous Richard Widmark scene from the 1947 film noir 'Kiss Of Death':
.

.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

11 comments:

  1. That was a pretty outcome. A few more votes and it could have been very different.

    I'm not sure why turnout was bad in this round--mine was too. But then I wasn't visiting many other blogs partly due to my computer issues. Seems like some weird internet things have been happening as well.

    So it goes I suppose.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, LEE, I think this was an excellent Battle, for a 3-Way.

      Only 2 votes divided First and Second Place, and only 1 vote divided Second and Third Place. That's a purdy damn-good Battle, in my opinion.

      And I am EXTREMELY glad that (in this rarest of cases) my own vote was not a determining factor. Ordinarily, I LOVE IT when my vote determines the winner. But I really did NOT want to have to make a decision that might have decided the fates of Songs 2 & 3.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  2. You certainly emulated Waits' songs during your trip. Intentionally or unintentionally? The latter, probably, but relating the story to the snippets of song lyrics was really a nice touch.

    Waits was a genius, I'm sure. HEY! We voted for the same song! But no Armageddon yet: Lee voted differently.

    I don't think I've seen Kiss of Death, but it seems likely that Waits saw that scene and noted it for future reference. That Udo character needed killin'. I read about the film, and fortunately that happens later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, SIXGUN McBRUHTHUH ~

      Yeah, we emulated the Tom Waits lyrics by pure happenstance. In fact, the song 'Hang On, Saint Christopher' was not even released until the year AFTER Pooh and I concluded 1986's 'Show No Emotion In A Big Way' Tour.

      And although 'Wrong Side Of The Road' was released in 1978, I didn't even know the song existed until the very late '80s or even very early '90s. I know for certain that I did not purchase the album that song came from until some years AFTER Pooh and I drove out of Reno on "the wrong side of the road". HA!!!

      Yeah, you and I went with Waits' crazier side in this Battle. (Of course, you voted for 'Saint Christopher' as the lesser of three evils, while I voted for 'Saint Christopher' as the best of three winners.) Thankfully, Lee succumbed to his "normal" side this time, and did not ignite Armageddon by boting for something on "the weird side" of Tom Waits.

      I've seen 'Kiss Of Death' once, decades ago. And I think it was because my Ma recommended it to me. I was very young then, she knew I aspired to be an actor, and she felt I should see Richard Widmark's famous (infamous) "Wheelchair" scene.

      My Ma also turned me onto James Dean, and the rest (as no one says) is "obscure, unknown history".

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      POSTSCRIPT:
      My Ma also turned me onto the TV series 'Moonlighting'. Ain't no Q about it - that woman knew quality entertainment when she saw it!!

      Delete
  3. Stephen,

    I was on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD in this battle clearly. I guess you have a rougher crowd listening that you thought. :) The ballot count wasn't too far behind the victor, so overall great showdown! Thanks for sharing and for popping over to check out my results. See ya on the first, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY! It's That You? ~

      Nah, you were on the RIGHT Side Of The Road... fer you. As Postmodernism teaches us, there is no objective "right" or "wrong". There is only how we fe-eee-el. Our feelings don't care about the facts!

      :^D

      Yer correct... I apparently do have a rougher audience than I thought I did. I *NEVER* would have believed that 'Wrong Side Of The Road' would win this Battle, until I saw it with my own eyes. (I guess, when it comes to BOTB, you can call me "Doubting Stephen".) Honestly, prior to this Battle going live, I thought it was possible that MY vote might be the ONLY ONE that 'Wrong Side' might get!

      Cathy, my friend, see ya on or about March 1st.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  4. I just looked up at your response to dear pal, Cathy...lol. ALL THE FEELS, BRUDDER...ALL O' THEM.

    Tommy old boy was just singing in the background of some show singing "I Don't Want to Grow Up" (which I would have voted on, if it was included in this fine battle, fyi). The message of that song speaks to me, unfortunately.

    I've accepted your St. Paddy's challenge, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! You ACCEPTED the challenge?!
      I wuzn't counting on that... at all.

      Guess I better git busy coming up with something for the Saint Paddy's Day Challenge.

      Drinking stories, wild times, outrageous Saint Paddy's night misadventures... where the heck did I put my book, 'The League Of Soul Crusaders'?!?!? (Shoot! I can't remember *that*, either!)

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
    2. I always accept a throw down.

      Delete
  5. I truly hate that I missed out on this battle - but I've got mine for the first up and ready to go, and as always, will be around over the next few days to listen to everyone else's battles! Thank you for your kind words on my blog. This BotB is the first I've managed to post since my update.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KIM ~
      No worries at all, sister.
      It's unfortunate, but sometimes life interferes with blogging. In a perfect world, that wouldn't happen, but last I checked, this wasn't a perfect world. I highly suspect that is going to change, however, in 2029. But until then, we'll just have to put up with bloggin' and commentin' interruptions.

      I'll "soitenly" be around to cast my two cents into your BOTB kitty. (I try my best not to miss opportunities to voice my loud opinion. ;^D )

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.