Tuesday, October 15, 2024

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: 2024, OCT. 15 (Or, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Versus THE EAGLES)


.
East Coast or West Coast? What's it gonna be? In this installment of Battle Of The Bands' Battle Of The Booze, the spirit that's about to speak is WINE. You know, as in...
.
"wine that makes glad the heart of man" 
~ Psalm 104:15
.
Most folks know the first recorded miracle that Jesus performed was turning water into wine at a wedding celebration feast. One of the very best books I have read was written by John Eldredge and titled [link> 'BEAUTIFUL OUTLAW: Experiencing The Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality Of Jesus'.
.
Just for fun, before getting this musical Battle underway, let's take a quick look at what Eldredge had to say about that first recorded miracle performed by Christ: 
.
To see bigger'n better, click on the images.
.
.
.
.
So, this BOTB installment includes two songs which mention wine (rosé is a type of wine). Here are the relevant lyrics:
.
Well, Billy slammed on his coaster brakes 
and said anybody wanna go on up to Greasy Lake?
It’s about a mile down on the dark side of route eighty-eight
I got a bottle of rose so let’s try it
~ Bruce Springsteen 
'Spirit In The Night' 
.
Cruising down the center of a two way street
Wondering who is really in the driver's seat
Minding my business along comes Big Brother
Says, son, you better get on one side or the other
I'm out on the border, I'm walking the line
Don't you tell me about your law and order
I'm trying to change this water to wine
~ The Eagles 
'On The Border' 
.
Alright, doggone it, let's get on it.
Let's get ON this thing!
.
Please vote in the comment section for which song you like better and then, like good peoples, please visit all of the other BOTBers and contribute to their contests, also. 
.
I intend to return here on or about Oct. 22nd to announce my own vote and the final tally. 
.
SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT 
by Bruce Springsteen 
.
.
ON THE BORDER 
by The Eagles
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy

6 comments:

  1. Neither of these songs is a favorite of mine from their respective band's collection. I was a big fan of both acts in the era, but these songs were just "on their albums" for me. I know other people liked them, but for me they were meh.

    So of these I'll vote for Bruce by the width of a swizzle stick. Or an olive. Or whatever else you put in wine.

    BTW, liner notes say that the vocals on On the Border were by "T.N.T.S." That might appeal to you as a "double shot" of giggle juice in favor of the Eagles.

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song choices! It's been so long since I've heard the Eagle's song I've got to go with them just for clever innuendos and memories of two-lane roads ;-) On The Border!
    Intriguing excerpts from Beautiful Outlaw... Just like sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VOTE = EAGLES

    Clarence's saxophone aside, I dig da Eagles mo. ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote goes to The Eagles. I prefer them as an artist over Springsteen. You might not believe this but I'm not big fan of the Boss. I enjoyed reading the excerpt written by Eldridge. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Generally speaking, I'd listen to Eagles over Springsteen, but in this Battle Springsteen gets my vote. I like the song better and the performance is excellent.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that part of Beautiful Outlaw, and it makes me scratch my head at the Christians that think alcohol is a sin. I mean, if it is, then why did Jesus make 908 bottles of the most top shelf hooch you could imagine? That sounds like an epic gift to me.

    So, neither of these songs are exactly top shelf hooch to me, though I do find them mildly enjoyable - The Eagles moreso than ol' Springy. Give my bote to The Eagles, and give Jesus my number in case He wants to drop some of that wine off at my house - Lord knows I've got the room for it now!

    ~Chief Julio down by the vineyard

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.