Tuesday, October 8, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: OCT. 1, 2024 (Or, TOM WAITS Versus DAVID & DAVID)


.
If that picture is a mystery to you, then I recommend you return to my Oct. 1st Battle Of The Bands post HERE and read the comment exchanges between Pooh Lynth and myself. That'll explain the history behind that photo. 
.
We're all familiar with the saying "A 2 at Ten is a 10 at Two". Well, at 824 Bay Street in the very early '80s, the saying was: "A heavy drinker at Ten wears a chair at Two".
.
Anonymous partier at 824 Bay Street, after passing out and getting "the business", circa 1982.
.
This installment of BOTB's Battle Of The Booze was between Tom Waits ("bourbon") and David & David ("Jack Daniel's"), and I very sincerely appreciate everyone who came by and participated in the voting. Just to illustrate how wrong I can be, I'll confess that, while constructing this last Battle, I was of the belief that Tom Waits would win it by a comfortable margin. Uhp! I'm an idiot!! 
.
In my Battle post, I mentioned how 1986 was a tough year for me, due in large part to the suicide of my great friend Kelly. 
.
Skydiving Kelly & his pal Mr. Coors.
.
In 1986, David & David's only album, 'Boomtown', really spoke to me, conveying many of the thoughts and feelings I was experiencing at the time. Rarely, if ever, had I been as personally connected to a collection of songs.
.
Although I have 'Boomtown' on CD today, and can't imagine not owning it, I rarely play it anymore. The songs are unique & quite good but, happily, those themes and emotions are in my distant past. Today, I have a great deal more inner peace.
.
So, how did I vote in this BOTB installment? Like most teenagers at the time, when I was a teen I loved the sound of loud electric guitars. Scott Gorham, Michael Schenker, Buck Dharma - I thought those guys were the cat's meow and the dog's bark! 
.
In the late '80s, after getting heavily into Jazz, the tenor saxophone became my favorite musical instrument. But then sometime in the early to mid-'90s I came to realize that no instrument rocks my world quite like the electric organ. Man, lay down some seriously charged organ on a track and I am guaranteed to dig it big time! 
.
Well, the heavy bass & orgasmic organ on the Tom Waits song 'Little Boy Blue' is definitely my cup of tea mug of beer! I find that combo extremely exciting (plus, I dig the lyrics also). So, despite all of my personal history with the David & David songs, my vote for Tom Waits was never in question. Nevertheless, this contest was a blowout:
.
FINAL TALLY: 
Tom Waits = 3 votes 
David & David = 8 votes 
.
My thanks again to everyone who contributed, and I hope you'll return for my next installment of BOTB's BOTB on October 15th
.
~ STMcC 

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see a face to your friend. He looks to be very likeable so it is sad that he had such inner turmoil. I'm surprised Waits didn't get more votes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BIRGIT!
      Kelly (or "Andy" as he preferred to be called) was a one-of-a-kind person with an unbelievable amount of talent and skills. It seems there wasn't anything the guy couldn't do (including rebuilding automotive engines, photography, animation, etc.) Such a shame!

      As always, I thanks ya for participating in my BOTB contest!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. I had no expectations of a win for Waits, but I am surprised he got as many votes in this contest as he did.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      HA! Birgit says, "I'm surprised Waits didn't get more votes" and you say, "I am surprised he got as many votes in this contest as he did."

      I think that really says a lot about the nature of music and BOTB.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. And Stephen...
    Thank goodness the photograph is nearly as hazy as my memory. I couldn't help but laugh out loud. But at the time I was not likely to find the humor in that photo and would most likely have gone to anger and deep regret. It is good to be able to laugh at it all now.
    JW,
    Pooh

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...funny how I remember Kranium's photo so well but have no recall of the other one. Thank goodness for blackouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...AND, POOH, THAT'S NOT ALL!...

      It's a safe bet that whoever took that photo was also intoxicated. Just not as intoxicated as you were! GOL!

      It's difficult to see through that 80-proof haze, but there's a little doll's head that was placed on top of the Budweiser can that was placed on top of you. I can't help wondering where in hell that doll's head came from. I'm surprised it wasn't a coconut head.

      Man, we partied hardy and it's astounding that we all survived it and even turned out semi-normal.

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
    2. Perhaps it is the ghost of the Bobble Head we were supposed to buy for Mike W.

      Delete
    3. HA!-HA!-HA! 😂
      It actually took me almost 20 seconds to figger out what you wuz meaning.

      And, come to think o' it, that doll's head DOES look a bit like Steve Garvey!

      But... Mr. W. *did* tell us, "You did the right thing". Then again... maybe the unpurchased Bobble-Head doll never received that memo(?)

      Anybody reading this exchange dun gonna be thinkin': "What dayz be yakkin' 'bout?" However, only you, Mike, me, and Vin Scully know fer shure!

      ~ D'DogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.