.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Monday, April 22, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: 2024, APRIL 15 (Or, SINATRA & RIDDLE VERSUS BASSEY & RIDDLE)


.
MY FRIENDS, MY FRIENDS!! ~
.
My most recent Battle Of The Bands' Battle Of The Booze contest took place HERE. The song was 'I Get A Kick Out Of You'; the contestants were Frank Sinatra & The Nelson Riddle Orchestra versus Shirley Bassey & The Nelson Riddle Orchestra; the booze was champagne
.
Unquestionably, Shirley Basset Bassey had to be considered the underdog going into this match-up, and doggone if Frankie baby didn't capture the first 3 votes submitted! But Bassey & her bongos weren't going down without a fight. 
.
Like many, I grew up listening to the (Classic) Rock of the '60s & '70s. I owned hundreds of LPs and went to the major concerts (Bob Seger, Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, UFO, REO-Journey-Styxwagon, etcetera, etcetera). 
.
In the '80s, my musical tastes began to change drastically and I eventually came to love Jazz far more than Rock. And that's why today, with only some rare-ish exceptions (e.g., The Beach Boys & The Carpenters), I'm more about the arrangement and instrumentation than I am the vocals. I definitely preferred Frank's singing to Shirley's singing, but I also preferred the Nelson Riddle Orchestra's musical approach to the song in Bassey's recording. As usually occurs, the music won out over the vocals for me, and I gave my vote to Shirley. This contest was a close call for me, and it was a close call for Frank and Shirley, too!
.
FINAL TALLY: 
Frank Sinatra = 7 votes 
Shirley Bassey = 5 votes 
Nelson Riddle Orchestra = 12 votes 
.
My great THANKS to every one of you who came by here with your two cents for the BOTB kitty! I intend to return here on May 1st with a new Battle, and I hope YOU will return here, too!
.
I'll send you off with what Beer Boy Bryan rightly said was the best-ever recording of 'I Get A Kick Out Of You'
.
.
Bless & Be Blessed, 
My Friends, My Friends!!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy 
DogGtor of Alcohology & 
King of Inebriation Nation 

6 comments:

  1. I love....live Blaxing Saddles. That's a hilarious scene amongst many. I'm glad this was a close call because I thought Frankie would win it all the way. Love the Nelson Riddle orchestra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, BIRGIT! ~

      Thanks for stopping by to see how things went down. This Battle was actually closer than I had anticipated, so that was a nice surprise for me. (I almost never really care who wins; I'm just hoping for a close contest to keep it interesting.)

      Just as this BOTB installment featured the same orchestra in both recordings, my next Battle on May 1st will have the same singer in both recordings, doing duets with two different womens. I'm curious to see how this next one goes.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. I'm happy to see that Shirley did better than expected. That clip from Blazing Saddles is hilarious! ☺ P.S. Thanks for dropping by my "GREEN" Photo essay and leaving a comment. I'm having trouble keeping up with online stuff at the moment, but hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

      'Blazing Saddles' -- a groundbreaking comedy of epic proportions that, sadly, could NEVER be made today! (We needn't worry about a horrific reboot of that movie.)

      I always show up for "the green". ;-)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. The outcome seems quite appropriate to me. Maybe more Brassy votes than needed, but it was a balanced result.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOIDMAN ~

      It could have been worse. I could have put Geddy Lee up against Frank Sinatra.
      [;^D

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.