.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Monday, April 8, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: 2024, APRIL FOOLS' DAY (Or, TINY TIM VERSUS THE CHARLIE DANIELS BAND)


.
As Tiny Tim said 54 years before beating Charlie Daniels in Battle Of The Bands:
.
"MOST OF ALL, I’D LOVE TO SEE CHRIST COME BACK TO CRUSH THE SPIRIT OF HATE AND MAKE MEN PUT DOWN THEIR GUNS. I’D ALSO LIKE JUST ONE MORE HIT SINGLE."
~ TINY TIM
[Interviewed by Harold Ramis for
Playboy magazine, June, 1970]

.
Yep! You understood that correctly. Tiny Tim conquered the hilarious Charlie Daniels Band 7 votes to 6 in my most recent BOTB's Battle Of The Booze contest 
[link> HERE.
.
My genuine appreciation to all of you who took the time to visit here and cast a vote. I'm sure everybody figured Tiny Tim was a major underdog in this contest, but I actually had a strong feeling he would win. Why? Because, over the long history of Battle Of The Bands, Tiny Tim has won more contests than he has lost, and everyone is always surprised, re-surprised, and re-re-surprised when they discover (or discover yet again) that a great many of big Tiny's songs were considerably better than his weirdo reputation would seem to imply.
.
So, Tiny Tim advances to the future BOTB Playoff round, and Charlie Daniels... continues on his trip to L.A. via Omaha.
.
I plan to return here again on April 15th with a new installment of BOTB's BOTB, so I hope all y'all will return also. Until then, may you...
.
Bless & Be Blessed!!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
DogGtor of Alcohology &
King of Inebriation Nation

8 comments:

  1. Yup! ☺ "everyone is always surprised, re-surprised, and re-re-surprised when they discover (or discover yet again) that a great many of big Tiny's songs were considerably better than his weirdo reputation would seem to imply"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

      One thing that I've always liked about Tiny Tim's music (after I came to realize that he recorded more than just 'Tip-Toe Thru The Tulips'), is that it was filled with a great sense of fun.

      Tiny really did enjoy entertaining people, and very few of his songs were what I would describe as "downers". There was definitely a lighthearted and fanciful style to his music, and I find that it always touches my heart with a bit o' joy.

      I really wish he would someday (miraculously) score a second hit song, even though he's not here now to enjoy it. I honestly feel he deserved more than to be just one more artist stuck in the 'One-Hit Wonder' category.

      ~ Stephen

      Delete
  2. Howdy Stephen! You're right, I'm surprised. Your battle was a tight one and I was on the wrong side in this round but I still stand by my vote for Charlie. :) Thanks for letting us know how things went down, my friend. Have a bandtastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAThy ~

      Thanks for stopping by to check out my BOTB results!

      When I first conceived the idea to put this Tiny Tim song up against the Charlie Daniels' song, I really had no clue what to expect in terms of voting results. And I found that kind of exciting to be going into a Battle with my mind as a blank slate. (Usually, I'm pretty accurate in predicting the winner in advance, even if I often miscalculate what I imagine to be the margin of victory.)

      However, the more I thought about this match-up, the more I began to anticipate another (surprising) Tiny Tim BOTB win. He beat Garth Brooks in a Battle years ago, and I know that the majority of regular voters here are not particularly into Country music. So I got to thinking that Tiny could maybe take down another major Country music star... and he did.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. "Always surprised and re-surprised..." You can say that again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dIEDRE ~

      There are really many Tiny Tim songs I like a lot.

      Like most people, I always thought Tiny Tim was just a joke; and being the snarkastic person I am, I occasionally enjoyed poking fun at the guy in private conversations. I remembered him being on 'Laugh-In' & 'The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson'.

      Then, years after he was dead, I bought the Tiny Tim 3-CD boxed set 'The Complete Reprise Studio Masters... And More'. (I got #0753 of 3000 in the limited CD set.) I purchased it purely as an inside joke with my Brother, intending only to play 'Tip-Toe Thru The Tulips' on Christmas days, as a new & weird Holiday tradition.

      But one day, I decided that I might as well listen to the CDs I had bought, at least once. I put in the first disc. The 3rd song on his first album - 'Livin' In The Sunlight, Lovin' In The Moonlight' - got my attention. I thought: OK, that was really weird and kind of... uhm... not very "manly". But... it *was* kind of entertaining in a "citrusy"-like way.

      The 4th song - 'On The Old Front Porch' - was really fun! And Tiny was singing in that baritone voice, which I didn't even know he had!

      The 6th song - 'Stay Down Here Where You Belong' (written by Irving Berlin) - was *great*! The flaming electric organ grabbed my attention in a heartbeat and I was starting to wonder if Tiny Tim was really the "joke" I'd always assumed. Still... maybe he's just getting kind of lucky here, right?

      The 7th song was 'Then I'd Be Satisfied With Life' (as heard here in my most recent BOTB installment), and there was just no denying the fact that I really, REALLY enjoyed it! I mean, c'mon, in the song, "Tuesday Weld" is saying, "Tiny, I love you!" How could I possibly *not* like a song such as that?

      And then the 8th song on big Tiny's first album played - 'Strawberry Tea' - and it was so otherworldly and even, yes, kind of "goldenshadow"-ish, that I knew suddenly & for certain that the "Tiny Tim joke" was officially over for me, then and forever!

      I remember actually thinking to myself:
      "Oh, my God! I really like Tiny Tim!!"

      STRAWBERRY TEA
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ExX7GkoU8c

      Tiny Tim ain't no joke!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. "Emerald melting sherbet moons..." Wow! Strawberry Tea really is Goldenshadow material.

      I never thought Tiny Tim was a joke, exactly. But I did always wonder what everyone knew about him that I didn't ;-)

      I'll be back to see what you have for the 15th. I might even post one last Bird battle on my way out of town ;-)

      Delete
    3. dIEDRE ~

      Discovering that I genuinely liked the majority of Tiny Tim's music was - I kid you not - one of the most shocking moments in my six-plus decade life!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.