.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Thursday, November 30, 2017

THE LAST OF THE MOJITOS (Or, VIRGINIA CITY: WORST AND LAST HANGOVERS) -- Part One

.
.
[Virginia City, Nevada] was a busy city of streets and houses above ground. Under it was another busy city, down in the bowels of the earth, where a great population of men thronged in and out among an intricate maze of tunnels and drifts, flitting hither and thither under a winking sparkle of lights, and over their heads towered a vast web of interlocking timbers that held the walls of the gutted Comstock apart. These timbers were as large as a man's body, and the framework stretched upward so far that no eye could pierce to its top through the closing gloom. It was like peering up through the clean-picked ribs and bones of some colossal skeleton. [...] Taken as a whole, the underground city had some thirty miles of streets and a population of five or six thousand. 
~ Mark Twain
'Roughing It', 1872; Chapter LII
.
Virginia City Waltz by Squeek Steele
.
I know nearly every inch of Virginia City, Nevada, because it's my favorite place on the planet. Yeah, I'm lowbrow and lovin' it! 
.
The first time I was in Virginia City in this lifetime was 1972 or '73. I have gone back so many times that I couldn't even begin to calculate it. I'd probably been there at least 12 times even before I moved to Reno -- which I did primarily to be within 30 minutes of Virginia City. I own at least 17 books and 2 DVD/VHS programs about VA City!
.
My previous blog bit 'bout the place can be found HERE.
.
Virginia City Destination Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJ7GzQHYaM

.
If that video was a bit too tame for your Wild West cowboy or cowgirl spirit, try this next one. And watch for the brief shot of the lovely Squeek Steele painting soundscapes with the piano...
.
Virginia City -- Special Events
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3TVjmYWn5Y


.
One morning in 1986, I woke up in a Reno motel room with the worst hangover of my life. Imagine the worst hangover YOU'VE ever had. Multiply it a godzillion and six times!! Now you're in the ballpark. I got as far as the Sugarloaf Mountain Motel in Virginia City. It was probably about 10:00 AM and my day was already done. I rented a room and spent the rest of that day on my back, staring at the popcorn ceiling.
.
.
However, that was before my 1994 encounter with Christ Yeshua. On September 22, 1995, I took a final sip of wine from my silver cup and not a drop of alcohol crossed my lips after that for over 6 years. 
.
I can't remember why I started drinking again. I can't even remember where I was or what I drank. I just know that I climbed down off that wagon after 6+ years. 
.
In 2017, the Hula Girls socks that FAE gave me became my official Virginia City footwear...
.
.
I made many happy trips up there this year and had a good time visiting my favorite haunts and saloons. (My truck, Chuck, was a real trooper! Never once let me down!!) 
.
On several occasions, I texted friends from up there and later wrote to them about Virginia City in Emails. Below are excerpts from some of those writings:
.
Amusing signs I've seen in VA City...

"Body Piercings By Glock"

"DOG: Depend On God"

At the Palace Saloon there's a sign that says...

"My Reality Check Bounced"

There's also a store on C Street selling T-shirts that say...

"A.T.F. : Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. 
Who's bringing the chips?"


"My Indian Name Is Runs-With-Beer"
.
Damn, man, I love this place! I'm at the Old Corner Bar again -- where  Sam Clemens became "Mark Twain" -- and the guy next to me orders a drink but tells the bartender not to make it too strong because he has to attend a wedding in an hour.
.
The Bartender: "Are you the Best Man?"
Customer: "No, I'm the minister."
.
100% true. No joke!
.
.
Now then, you remember me texting you while I was having a drink in The Old Corner Bar? I said it was the place where Samuel Clemens acquired the pen name Mark Twain. Well, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this to you before or not, but... The Old Corner Bar is attached to Piper's Opera House. While visiting Virginia City as a tourist, writer Richard Matheson was captivated by a photograph of the 1800s actress Maude Adams hanging on a wall inside Piper's Opera House. As he stared at the photo, a story began developing in his mind. That story became a novel which became the movie SOMEWHERE IN TIME.
.
One of the regulars who live up there in VA City is this guy who plays an old miner character. He has a donkey and for $1.00 you can feed carrots to his donkey and get your picture taken.

He wanders around a bit on C Street, the main street in town, where all the tourists are, but I'd say he spends 80% of his time at a particular intersection.

So, anyway, the miner was standing there on his usual corner and he was talking to a couple of people. I guess they were asking about posing with him or something. And the miner had let go of the reins attached to the donkey's bridle. As he's yakking with the tourists, behind him, the donkey starts to wander off and walks right out into the middle of C Street. Thankfully it's a 20 MPH speed limit on C Street, and no one even came close to hitting the donkey.

But when the miner turned around and saw his donkey in the middle of the street and crossing over toward the other side, he got mad. He runs out there, snatches the reins and starts berating the donkey for being such "a stupid so-and-so", and so forth.
.
As I was walking past the miner and donkey -- maybe four or five minutes after the donkey had wandered away and gotten yelled at for it -- I noticed that the miner was talking softly into the donkey's ear and apologizing for having lost his temper and yelling at him.
.
Ha!-Ha! Only in Virginia City, man! So many characters there!
.
.
This concludes Part One. Part Two can be found [link:> HERE.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

8 comments:

  1. Virginia City, NV looks splendid! There's also a very quaint Virginia City, Montana with some interesting stories of vigilante justice.

    The Old West is so interesting!

    Thanks for the information. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, EPT.

      I was aware of Virginia City, MT., but I have never been there.

      In VA City, NV., the vigilante group was called 601. According to some sources it stood for: Six feet deep; Zero trial; One rope.

      Today, the 601 is commemorated in Virginia City by a community charity organization going by that name. Also, the Virginia City Brewery And Taphouse regularly features a beer called 601 IPA (India Pale Ale).

      I love, Love, LOVE the Old West in general, but Virginia City most of all.

      A writer living in Virginia City, NV., once said of the residents there:

      "The townspeople were absolutely, overabundantly in love with the West. Most regretted having been born a hundred years too late [...] They loved Virginia City and its mining history, praised those who came before them and proudly repeated their legends and stories. Love is not the word. They nearly worshiped Virginia City."

      And that writer was RIGHT! That same attitude and feeling is alive there still today.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  2. Never been to Virginia City and don't know that I ever will. I'd like to go, but I'm sure my wife wouldn't care about it all that much. She hated Oatman, AZ where you can feed lots of donkeys that wander the streets and you don't have to pay $1 to do it.

    Hope I never have another hangover again in my life and if I keep up my current drinking habits I likely won't. I've had a few over the years that made me kind of wish I'd die. Glad I didn't die, but I sure hated those hangovers while I was experiencing them.

    That last picture of VA City is mighty nice. Looks like someplace I might like to stop in and visit one day. It looks purty.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      I had an old VHS tape about Western Ghost Towns, and one of the places featured in it, which I had not yet been to, was OATMAN.

      I finally got to OATMAN and, boy, what a sorry place! Ha! It looked pretty neat in the video but that's a strange town. Maybe my least favorite Old West town that I've been to. Virginia City is just so much better in every way! (Even if it costs $1.00 to feed the donkey. One can always do like I do and opt NOT to feed the donkey.)

      Speaking of the donkey, though... the last time I was there, I just happened to be going down a boardwalk at the moment a cute little Mexican girl, maybe 4 years old, in a pale pink and white dress, spotted the donkey. She started jumping up and down, pointing the donkey out to her dad and yelling, "Donkey! Donkey! Donkey!" It was darling.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
    2. Yes, Oatman is kind of sorry, but the ride up there and the whole atmosphere is kind of neat, kind of creepy, and sad and sorry in a way. Hardly anyone was there when we went but it was morning and in the summer so it would have probably been sweltering later after we left.

      No matter where I go I always feed the donkey. Leastways when I get hungry I do. And it always costs more than $1 to feed me.

      Lee
      Tossing It Out

      Delete
    3. I've visited so many Old West ghost towns, and I like them all, but Oatman would probably be at the bottom of my list.

      And, you're right, Oatman in the middle of a Summer day is no place to be! Hell couldn't be too much worse.

      I generally ignore those stubborn, four-legged critters, if just to prevent someone from cracking the joke: "Look at the jackass feeding the donkey!"

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete
  3. The fireplace in the Gold Hill Hotel is gorgeous! Sounds like a fun and interesting tour/trip. I need to do this someday!

    Kim @ The ReInVintaged Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, KIM! Long, long time no yak! How ya been? You crossed my mind just some days ago.

      Oh, yes, EVERYTHING about the Gold Hill Hotel is bitchin'! (Can you believe I just used the word "bitchin'"? I just now put on my 'American Graffiti' T-shirt, and I'll bet that had something to do with it. Ha!)

      Is you is (or is you ain't) joining us for the CHRISTMAS BOTB installments on December 15th? Should I add a link to your blog back onto the BOTB Participants List?
      [;o)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.