.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, February 1, 2019

2019, FEB. 1: BATTLE OF THE BANDS (Or, ANN PEEBLES VS. ETTA JAMES)

..
Reno Vs. Carson City, Male Vs. Female, War Vs. Peace, Light Vs. Dark, Good Vs. Evil, Man Vs. Machine, Love Vs. Hate, Dog Vs. Cat, Sun Vs. Moon, Brain Vs. Brawn, Oscar Vs. Grammy, Angel Vs. Demon, Laurel Vs. Hardy, Beer Vs. Wine, TV Vs. Radio, Pitcher Vs. Batter, Paper Vs. Plastic, Reality Vs. Fantasy, Yeshua Vs. Beelzebub, Conservative Vs. Liberal, You Vs. Me, House Vs. Senate, Offense Vs. Defense, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Spy Vs. Spy, Fischer Vs. Spassky, W.C. Fields Vs. Sobriety, Harold Gimpy, Jr. Vs. Sheldon J. Pismire, Rock Vs. Paper Vs. Scissors, Islam Vs. Everything, Singer Vs. Singer, Band Vs. Band...
.
BATTLE OF THE BANDS (BOTB)
.
.
Shoop-Shooby -
Shooby-Duh-Dooby-Doop-Dooby-Dooby-Doo-Wah -
Buh-Doo-Wah!
.
Yes, it's time once again for 'Battle Of The Bands' ('BOTB').
.
Alright, let's get on it. Let's get ON this thing!...
.
Eugene Martone Vs. Jack Butler
.
I'm typing this blog bit on Friday, Jan. 25th, because I'm in the midst of making what I'm hoping will be the last move of my life. I'd like my next move to be to that Great Mobile Home Park In The Sky.
.
Three times I asked my Magic 8-Ball "Will I have time to respond to comments on this next Battle Of The Bands?" and all three times the answer-gizmo inside the Ball came up midway between two answers - neither of which I could read. So, apparently, even the 8-Ball doesn't want to hazard a prediction on this.
.
If you want an idea of the move I'm making, below is a video of the portion of Highway 395 which connects Reno and Carson City. I'll be driving my U-Haul truck over this road, except that I will be going the opposite direction from the driver in this video - I'll be leaving Reno and going to Carson City (Thank you, God!!) How far is Carson City from Reno? Thirty miles and fifty years.
.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVUWhmmPG5A

.
Goodniks Vs. No-Goodniks
.
I am pre-writing and pre-scheduling for automatic posting THIS Battle as well as my next one on Feb. 15th, because I truly don't know what I'll be doing at the time and don't know how long I'll be without Internet service. 
.
The odds are that I won't be able to respond to comments on my own Battles, but I shall endeavor to get my votes in on all y'all's BOTB contests from my cell phone. They'll probably be short & sweet, such as, "D-FensDogG votes for Tiny Tim."
.
But, God willing, I should be back to BOTB [link> "like a full force gale" on March 1st, and so I'm planning something special for that installment.
.
While I'm breaking up my own home - packing up everything I own and moving it elsewhere - I thought the Blues song 'Breaking Up Somebody's Home' would make for an appropriate BOTB choice in this round.
.
My Friends, My Friends, until next we meet in the blogosphere...
.
May You Bless And Be Blessed.
.
Godzilla Vs. King Kong
.
BREAKING UP SOMEBODY'S HOME -- Ann Peebles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK3cAvnhLqs


.
Riddler Vs. Batman
.
BREAKING UP SOMEBODY'S HOME -- Etta James
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVs64VpIhXU


.
The Battle Within The Battle
.
.
VERSUS
.
.
Question: "Will Etta James beat Ann Peebles?"
.
The Magic 8-Ball (13-7) sez:  "My Reply Is No"
.
The Amazing Sixwell (14-6) sez:  "Most Likely"
.
Alright now, “you know the gig”... I welcome you (whether I know "you" or notto vote for your favorite of these songs in the comment section below. And feel free to tell us WHY you chose one song over the other. 
.
After voting here, I suggest - actually I insist - you pop over to the blogs of the other 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' participants to see which songs they have chosen and vote there also. (If their ‘BOTB’ blog bits aren’t posted yet, pour yourself two shots of ‘Grand Marnier’ over ice – do it twice – and then return to their blogs to vice your voice ...vote your vice ...voice your vote.)
.
Voice Your Vote...
@ ‘TOSSING IT OUT’ by clicking HERE.
@ 'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS' by clicking HERE.
@ 'CURIOUS AS A CATHY' by clicking HERE.
@ 'THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING' by clicking HERE
@ 'JINGLE JANGLE JUNGLE' by clicking HERE.
@ 'THE DOGLADY'S DEN' by clicking HERE.
@ 'CHERDO ON THE FLIPSIDE' by clicking HERE.
'AI LOVE MUSIC' by clicking HERE.
.
As I've done in the past, I will continue to return to my 'BOTB' blog bits on the 7th and 21st of each month to post my own votes and announce the winners in the comment sections.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

26 comments:

  1. Never heard this song before, but I'm not a big listener to this sort of blues music.

    Etta James' version was fine though maybe a bit over the top for my tastes. I'll take the easy lope style of Ann Peebles and her voice was more appealing to my tastes.

    Have fun with your move. I'd rather be in someplace like SW VA or East TN than out west, but every place has its good and bad points.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>... I'm not a big listener to this sort of blues music.

      How come that? You a crypto-racis', LEE? You a White Nationalist?
      ;-)

      I am definitely a Western man. Although I do also like the South. But, yeah, Jimbo got it right:

      "The West is the best.
      The West is the best.
      Get here, and we'll do the rest."

      Thanks for your vote, Lee. Ann needs all the help she can get at this point.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. Happy moving...if that actually exists. Once you are set up, it will be great but the move itself is always stress ridden. I listened to both and I give it to Etta with her deep blues style. her styling gave the lyrics more meaning to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIRGIT ~
      Thanks for your BOTB support.

      So far, the move has gone very smoothly. Been doing it in stages, and the final stage will be the day after tomorrow. I'm just hoping the weather is decent.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. I like both these versions. I love the more raw quality of Ann's voice, and the spare arrangement has something to recommend it too.

    I don't like Etta's voice as well on this. BUT... ultimately, I like the guitar work and production of Etta's version better. It seems more "together" to me. At least today.

    As for this "breakin' up somebody's home" stuffs: you got nobody to blame but yourself! After I found you that nice place in Reno, you go and break up your OWN home and move out of "The Finest, Biggerest, Littlest, Foggyest, ol' Emerald City by the bay, Beantowniest: RENOLAND."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McBROTHER 6GUN ~
      In all seriousness, this place that you found me to live in - which I've done for four years now - has been one of the few bright spots of living in Re(no)tard. I have never once regretted the residence, just everything that surrounds it.

      The place I live, and Great Basin Brewing Company - those are about the only two things in Reno that I can grade with a "Thumbs Up".

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. Howdy, Mr New Home Owner!

    Small town living is the bomb-diggity. I'm sure you're going to love your new place. Happy moving and settlin' in.

    I don't know that I care much for this song, but that's not going to stop me from voting for Etta James... She just sounded a lot better to me.

    Once you get settled, are you going to look for work? Or will you be doing the early retirement thing? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa, MMQE ~
      Once I get settled in at the new place, I'm hoping to take a small (approximately 4-days) road trip, driving across "The Loneliest Road In America".

      After that, the search for work begins again. I'm still too young even for Early Retirement. I figure I've got about another 4 years to "punch the time-clock" before I can quit and just wait for the return of Jesus. But then again, He could actually return BEFORE I hit retirement age. Then I'll have to tell Uncle Scam to send my Social Security checks to:

      Stephen T. McCarthy
      888 Gold-Paved Lane
      Kingdom City, Heaven
      88888

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  5. Etta James all the way for me. The arrangement is better and I like her voice on this track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLUESMAN JOHN ~
      I figured you'd like this Battle, knowing that you (and me, too) have an affinity for the Blues. But what I wasn't sure of was how you'd vote. Although I think I recall you singing the praises of Etta in the past.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  6. Stephen,

    Happy movin' to ya, buddy! Try to take it easy and enjoy the process. Oh yeah, be safe in your traveling and careful to not to injury yourself.

    This proved to be easier than I thought. Ann Peebles version seemed too contemporary and her bluesy vibe were a bit too screechy sounding losing the bluesy laid back feel whereas Etta James' lower vocal registry nailed the blues essence plus her mewsical arrangement with the horns and drums was a thousand times better compare to the Peebles. Give my vote to Etta James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      Thanks for the good wishes and advice. I've already done a little bleeding and a little cussing during this moving process but, overall, it's gone smoother than I had a right to hope for. But then again, I am convinced that this whole moving to CC was God's idea to begin with. And if that's the case, then OF COURSE it would go smoother than I could expect or even imagine.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  7. McBruthaMan,

    I can easily vote for Ann Peebles without putting Emma James down... Well, since you asked, right off the bat, the horns at the start of the song are over-emphatic and the voice is way too emotional. Hey Emma James, I'm sure you've had a heavy life and been through pain, probably are in some Hall of Fame and have a statue. Kudos...

    Let me tell you something. You don't put leg shackles on Mercury, you don't tell Ann Peebles not to sparkle, and you don't spit on Superman's cape. Done. Mandatory end of story. Easy vote for Ann Peebles.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McBRUHTHUH G DOGG ~

      I appreciate your vote for Ann Peebles, cuz that po' woman is gettin' clobbered, Cuz! She's needed every vote she can muster. (And so far, that's just been two!!)

      Yeah, only a fool would spit on Superman's cape or tug on the wind! One shouldn't mess around with the Lone Ranger or pull the mask off of big Jim Walker, either.
      :oD

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  8. And Stephen,

    Tough choice here and I'm not sayin it was your peebles, but I'd appreciate it. Both strong voices and good back-up bands. I'm gonna vote for Etta James she just gave it more umph! And the band was a little tighter as far as I can tell. Hope you are enjoying your move and settling in well.
    JW,
    Pooh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...AND, POOH, THAT'S NOT ALL...
      Sorry your Rams failed ya yesterday, Brother, but at least someone (me) remembered to wish you a Happy Anniversary ("The Slap Heard 'Round The World" - Ha!-Ha! Oh, man, but does we got some personal history, or what?!)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  9. Howdy, Travelin' Man!

    The song is unfamiliar, though that's just as well. It's a good thing Ms. Peebles had those horns in the background, as I was nodding right out. Ms. James, however, gave the song much needed life. I vote for Etta James.

    I've always thought of moving as a new adventure. Unless, of course, you're moving fast - as in running away, which I know you're not. So enjoy! New town, new views, new digs - Yippee-Ki-Yay, Carson City Kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, dIEDRE! ~
      The only time I can remember "running away" from something is the time, in 1974, when my Brother cut open the artery in his arm and was shooting blood all over the house. I ran, yelling, right out the front door into the street.

      I'm happy to report, however, that I collected myself in time to return to the house, put a tourniquet on Nappy's arm, and save his life. (He's never forgiven me. He says that Saint Peter was already unlocking the Golden Gates for him when my life-saving makeshift tourniquet pulled him back down to Earth. And he KNEW that his family was going to make HIM clean up all that blood!)

      >>... Yippee-Ki-Yay, Carson City Kid!

      Hmmm.... I don't think that's the way Bruce Willis said it.
      [;-D}

      Thanks so much for stopping by with a BOTB bote, my friend!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  10. Going with Etta James this go around

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEY, PEOPLES! ~

    Just a note to say that I'm about to go offline due to my move, and that I won't be around again for 2 or 3 days. Therefore, if anyone submits a comment / vote, I won't be able to respond, however, your vote WILL COUNT in the final tally.

    TTFN!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the soul in Peeble's version. But my vote goes to Etta James' version as something about it makes it magical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm swamped this week, too, my brudder! I ask for forgiveness for my brevity and end with this:

    ETTA ALL THE WAY!

    I hope you have a great move and settle in quickly. Hugs to you and prayers for your travels

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa, just in under the wire. To keep it short and sweet, I prefer Etta James over Ann Peebles. Give my bote to her, and enjoy that sweet Exodus of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Al Bondigas here. Sorry to cut it so close, but better late than never, right? I've never been a big blues fan, some stuff I like somewhat and others are just so-so. Both of these singers were good and I kind of got into it. Makin a rulin' is kind of tough here. I could lean either way, but I guess I'm gonna lean slightly to Peebles. But like I said, it was close and a tough decision. That's it!! That's muh rulin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ATTENTION PEOPLES!

    If you are interested in seeing the final vote tally for this 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' installment and my closing thoughts on it, you can put the following URL into your browser:

    https://stmccpresentsbattleofthebands.blogspot.com/2019/02/stmccs-vote-on-2019-february-1st-battle.html

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.