.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Monday, April 22, 2019

BOTB RESULTS: APRIL 15 (Or, ROBERT JOHNSON VERSUS THE ROLLING STONES)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, April 15th: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Robert Johnson Versus The Rolling Stones - And The Final Tally:
.
.
Because yesterday was Easter Sunday, I'm a day late in getting my BOTB Results posted.
.
.
.
I celebrated yesterday by going on a nice, quiet hike. It was just me and my thoughts in the hills above my new home.
.
.
Above the town of Willoughberry on Easter Day, 2019.
.
Anyway... my most recent Battle Of The Bands contest took place HERE. It was Robert Johnson's original Blues classic 'Love In Vain' against The Rolling Stones' cover of the song, and I'm happy to report that the authentic Bluesman, who was probably the underdog here, won easily:
.
Robert Johnson = 12 votes (counting mine)
.
The Rolling Stones = 3 votes
.
In this installment, I explained where the official BOTB logo originated...
.
.
...And I also revealed who Eugene Martone and Jack Butler are:
.
Eugene Martone and Jack Butler
.
On June 1st, 2014, I kicked off my BOTB contest by writing, "Alright, let's get on it..." I began including that in every single subsequent Battle. And shortly afterwards, I added something else to it: 
.
Alright, let's get on it. Let's get ON this thing!...
.
How many times have you read that at the start of my Battles? Have you never wondered where that came from? Well, both of those sentences were inspired by moments in two different Blues songs - the first by Howlin' Wolf and the second by Lightnin' Hopkins.
.
In my May 1st Battle, I am going to pit those two songs against each other, and you will be asked to vote for either "Alright, let's get on it" or "Let's get ON this thing!...
.
I thank y'all for voting in my April 15th Battle, and I hope to see y'all back here again on May 1st.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely landscape in your area, Stephen. As for the battle, that was quite a blowout! At least it wasn't a shutout; glad I could help with that. ☺ Looking forward to your next battle. I did wonder where those lines came from. P.S. Thanks for turning me on to "Crossroads". Great movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~
      I actually watched 'Crossroads' again the other night. Just yakking about it made me want to see it again.

      Your vote for The Stones was greatly appreciated, because I didn't realize how much I was flirting with a potential shutout when I put this Battle together. But I'm pleased with the results: shutout avoided, but the old dead Bluesman gets a resounding victory against the White Englishers. Ha!

      My next Battle should be interesting, but I'm expecting yet another blowout.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. That hike sounds nice. That's what I need to do. Maybe I should hike over to the shopping center across the street from our house. A more scenic more interesting hike would require driving somewhere so I guess I'll just stay home and read about hiking.

    Robert Johnson showed the Stones who's the boss of the blues.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      Yeah, Robert left no question about who rules 'Love In Vain'.

      I didn't do much hiking when I lived in L.A., either. One needs to drive at least half an hour just to get out of the concrete jungle to where Hikingland is. But here in CC, I can actually just walk a few blocks and already be heading up into the mountains. I loves it here!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  3. That hike looks awesome! I'm glad Robert Johnson won this battle. I usually enjoy the electric covers more than the original but that is just a taste thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIKE ~
      This is definitely Hikingland here. It wasn't until I left Phoenix for Northern Nevada, four years ago, that I realized how much I really enjoy hiking.

      A bartender and I were yakking about hiking recently, and I said, "I don't really consider it a true hike until I find myself down on all fours. Until that point, it's just a walk in the hills."

      I'm hoping to do a hike today that, as it appears from my house, looks like it will be pretty rugged. I may even bring along some water for this one.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. Stephen,

    It looks like you had a lovely Easter Sunday, too. We had beautiful weather and we were fortunate to spend it with our son. He invited us to dinner, which we treated him and his girlfriend who we soon learned is his finacee. It looks like we're getting a daughter-in-law.

    Your battle was ever bit as bad as mine. It seems when the people speak, they speak loudly don't they? If my memory is correct I went with the winner as well because I'm not a big fan of The Stones.

    I'm not going to have a showdown on the 1st but will try to cast a vote. DH is having dental surgery on that day and after a busy month, I feel the need for a short break. My next battle is gonna be mid-May. Gosh, can you believe May is almost here? Let me jet for now. Have a good afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa, CATHY ~
      I'm half-a-shade late in responding as I've been out in the real world more lately, and spending less time in the virtual world.

      Yes, you definitely went with the "winnah" in this round, as did most voters. I was actually quite pleased to see R.J. pound The Stones resoundingly. (Even though I do respect The Stones for genuinely respecting the old Black American Bluesmen. Unlike Led Zeppelin who only ripped them off and gave them no credit.)

      I can fully understand why you won't be BOTBing on May 1st. Hopefully you make it by to toss yer $00.02 into my BOTB kitty.

      And best wishes for your husband on the dental surgery! (Oww! Just *thinking* about it makes my teeth hurt!)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. Hey, how come it took me so long to get back here? Well, we've had baby excitement in our family and it makes everyone nutsy.

    But I voted for the right guy!! Yaaaaayyy!

    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, DOC! Life Happens!

      You got them 'New Baby Joys'?
      Me, I got dem 'Ol' Kozmic Blues' again, Mama!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.