.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

BOTB RESULTS: MAY 1, 2019 (Or, HOWLIN' WOLF VERSUS LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, May 1st: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Howlin' Wolf Versus Lightnin' Hopkins - And The Final Tally:
.
.
First and foremost, a hearty handclasp to all you folks who took the time to listen and vote in my latest Battle. Your appreciated is participation!
.
The contest took place [link> HERE. And it was between Howlin' Wolf's song 'The Red Rooster' (representing the command "Alright, let's get on it.") and Lightnin' Hopkins' song 'Big Car Blues' (representing the command "Let's get ON this thing!"
.
Lightnin' Hopkins scored the first three votes right out of the chute, and it looked like yet another blowout was in the making. But then, as often happens in BOTB voting, the tide began to turn. And after awhile, Howlin' Wolf had a three-vote lead over Lightnin'.
.
As for my own vote... Howlin' Wolf is unquestionably my favorite Bluesman of all time. He's followed by Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, and Robert Johnson, in that order.
.
However, in this one particular instance, I actually prefer Lightnin's 'Big Car Blues' to Wolf's 'Red Rooster'. I just dig that energetic rhythm of Lightnin's speeding Cadillac. So, although I hate to vote against my main man in the Blues genre, dogged if this time I didn't have to side with Lightnin's Caddy. And here's how the votes tallied up:
.
Howlin' Wolf = 9 votes
.
Lightnin' Hopkins = 8 votes
.
A great, close Battle! Thanks again, all y'all, for playing along. And I hope to see you here again for my next Battle Of The Bands competition on May 15th. Until then, may you all...
.
Bless And Be Blessed.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

18 comments:

  1. This was a close battle so congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BIRGIT.
      I'm really pleased with how this one went because I was actually quite concerned that Lightnin' would run away with it. I never imagined it would be so close, let alone that Wolf would actually win.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. You and I with the same vote! Well, I guess you've got to be right some time.

    That was indeed a close race. Mine was almost as close, but I'll be posting those results tomorrow (Wed).

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      Ha!-Ha! Well, you know, as that old saying goes:

      Even a blind clock finds a broken squirrel twice a nut.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  3. Wolf had died by the time I was old enough to hang out at the clubs. Muddy was still going strong, and Junior Wells and Buddy Guy were always great at a club. Some friends and I went to see them, and Junior was a little wasted and rambling on about something, so I ran to the restroom. Thirty seconds later, Buddy is at the urinal beside me. He had the same idea: if Junior's going to ramble like that, I'll run and take a whiz...

    Couple of other favorites: Carey Bell (incredible harmonica player) and, maybe my favorite, Koko Taylor. Nicest lady you'd ever want to know.

    Great battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JOHN! I was WAY overdue for a close Battle. (At one time, I thought I had BOTB completely figured out. But as time has gone on, it seems to have become more and more a puzzle to me.)

      Terrific story about peeing the Blues with Buddy Guy! You were definitely living in the #1 place for Blues!

      I won't bother copying it all out but... in the liner notes to my CD 'Muddy Waters: His Best, 1956-1964', there's a really funny story about how James Cotton acquired his very first chromatic harmonica. Basically, Muddy went to give it to him as a gift, but he slipped and fell in a melted snow puddle. The harp went flying and landed in another puddle on the floor. What started out as a nice gesture ended up with Muddy yelling, "There's your G*ddamn harmonica right there!"

      I once saw Bocephus at the Greek Theatre in L.A. I had started the night drinking high-octane Margaritas at a place called El Coyote (which also happened to be Warren Zevon's favorite place for Margaritas). I always say that the only person at the Greek Theatre who was drunker'n me was... Bocephus! He'd clearly been hitting the Jim Beam, but it was a fun concert.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. Wooo-eeeeee! That was a nailbiter, eh? I had just put together my results post (will go live at 12am Eastern) when I saw you had this one up.

    This was a fun battle, and an interesting one at that. I really like it when they are super tight races. Almost makes you feel validated in your choice in battle.

    I'm still drowning in email - only 1000 pieces to review still. Trying to gain some ground there and keep up everywhere else. Fun times!

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa, MARY B ~
      Yip! This Battle turned out really good. And I was all prepared for yet another blowout.

      The more I BOTB, the less I understand about BOTB. It's a lot like studying the assassination of John F. Kennedy. That was the only subject where I found that the more I read about it, the less I knew. And that obviously contradicts the natural order of things. Of course, now I understand why that was so. It's called "Disinformation", and its very goal is to muddy the waters so no one can ever get a real clear view of the subject.

      Anyway... thanks! Glad you enjoyed the Battle.

      >>... I'm still drowning in email - only 1000 pieces to review still.

      It's hell being popular.
      I'll send you an Email that will tell you the best way to clear your Email InBox. It'll be the 1,001st Email in your InBox. You'll get to it eventually. ;-D

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  5. Good one! And, we had the same opinion. I was surprised by your vote, Stephen.Thought for sure you'd go with Howlin' Wolf. ☻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DEBBIE!
      I love Howlin' Wolf, but 'The Red Rooster' just isn't one of my favorite songs by him. If the song had been something different - like 'Spoonful', 'Shake For Me', 'Who's Been Talkin'?', 'Smokestack Lightning', 'Back Door Man', or 'Wang Dang Doodle' - I'd have sided with The Wolf.

      Speaking of 'Back Door Man' - Did you know that Doors song was a cover of Wolf's original? Willie Dixon wrote it, but I believe Wolf was the first to record it, with Dixon playing bass on the track.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  6. Hey, your battle ended like mine -- if your vote gets added, it's a tie. This was definitely a goodie!

    And, by the way, I'm totally down with a "crazy titles" or downright "dumb" titles battle. How 'bout doing it on the 15th? (My surgery is on the 21st...I may have a delayed total).

    Let me know! You know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOC MacSIS ~

      Well, I agree this was definitely a goodie. But... my vote *WAS* added (to Lightnin's total) and it still didn't bring it to a tie, thankfully. I dersn't like-um ties. Neither neckties nor BOTB ties.

      I'll be in touch soon, m'dear.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  7. Hello Stephen T! You've been popping in and out of my mind lately, and so I wanted to stop by and say Howdy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, howdy, stranger!
      How're you doin', BECKY-O! Long time, no hear.

      A Happy Mama's Day to you!

      You ever gonna start up blogging again, ya think?

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  8. I'm doin' pretty good and hope you are, too! Thanks for the Mama's Day wishes. I would like to get back into blogging, but it would take a lot of thinking on my part and don't know if I still have it in me! HA! I'll send you an email soon and try to catch you up on things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!-Ha! Yeah, I don't do as much thinking as I used to, either.

      Sounds great, BECKY! I'll be watching for it.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.