.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, August 9, 2019

BOTB RESULTS: 2019, AUG. 1 (Or, THE MONKEES VERSUS THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, August 1st: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, The Monkees Versus The Partridge Family - And The Final Tally:
.
.
First of all, I wanna say that this was a nice turnout for a lightweight (almost tongue-in-cheek) Battle, and I thank each and every one of youz who came by and made it a success. THANK YOU! 
.
Because of some busyness, compounded by my 60th birthday yesterday, I'm two days late getting this BOTB Results post up. Sorry 'bout that, Chief! The actual Battle took place HERE, and it was a pretty good one. The Partridge Family jumped out to a quick lead, but The Monkees managed to draw even once or twice, before finally falling behind again for good. 
.
I was kind of rooting for my childhood favorite group The Monkees. They lost, but I had a lot of crazyGreen Acres psychedelic-like fun yakking with y'all in the comment section, so that kissed my boo-hoo and made it all better. 
.
I'm not too surprised that The Partridges topped The Monkees in this Battle, because uptempo usually trumps ballads in BOTB. But I actually dig that slow Davy Jones ballad 'I Wanna Be Free'. There's a kind of wistful, bittersweet lonely soul quality to it. Almost like a "skinny White saudade". Ha! It may not seem like it if you've only heard the song once or twice, but there is definitely a "there" there in 'I Wanna Be Free'. And for me, it even has an "earworm" quality to it; I've been humming and whistling the melody of 'I Wanna Be Free' off and on for the last week. Ever since I posted the song on this blog, it's been stuck in my noggin. 
.
Fun Fact: On my birthday yesterday, I found myself driving through Pleasant Valley (Nevada) while '(Theme From) The Monkees' happened to be playing in my truck (Chuck the Truck). I'd call that "congrutiating". Now if only yesterday had been a Sunday, eh? That would be "super-congrutiating"!
.
STMcC's 60th Birthday Celebration!
.
The Monkees = 8 votes
.
The Partridge Family = 11 votes
.
A number of voters said that normally they'd expect to vote for The Monkees over The Partridge Family but they just didn't get into the Monkees' ballad. Someday, I may give The Monkees a rematch against The Partridges. But this time, the underdog won.
.
.
On a sad note, yesterday - on my birthday, of all days (how ironic!) - Sikike Phteven was hit by a bus and killed. Oddly enough, some witnesses whom I later spoke with described the bus driver as looking quite a bit like Patrick McGoohan. For now, the authorities are treating the accident as a suicide, although witnesses are still being interviewed and the case hasn't been closed.
.
But not to worry! We will be introducing a new BOTB psychic here with the August 15th Battle. Please be sure to return then and welcome...
.
Carnac The Magnificent
.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, John. It was a nice day, and I didn't fall and break my hip.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday and Happy 60 McBroman.

    Dang dude, you've went through more prognosticators than Spinal Tap has drummers including Stumpy Joe. I just checked Wikipedia, and what my cousin Fast Freddie from East L.A. said isn't true - Shirley Jones didn't die by eating a ham sandwich. And googling "Reuben Kincaid gerbils" yields no results. And in the Ohio Players' Love Rollercoaster, as far as I can deduce the lady screaming isn't Susan Dey falling off a roller coaster nor did Bigfoot kidnap her and make her his loveslave until the Abominable Snowman saved her then took her to Cancun for a weekend tryst. Fast Freddie better come up with some evidence!

    Cheers,
    G-Dogg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOOOO Doggggggies!

      You have more non sequiturs than a barrel of hat bands. I swear that before you write a comment, you must spend twenty minutes doing "get lucky" Google searches to compile a list of random terms to include in your post. Then you work the terms in ANY WAY YOU CAN into a "CAN'T STOP READING THIS GREAT" comment.

      Backhoe, Taylor Swift, mood rings, flower vase, existentialism, Baretta, latex paint, Joe Namath, mudcrawlin', Soul Train. All that stuff adds up to: my shoes are missing from the sink.

      Delete
    2. Bro Sixgun,

      Thank you... I like to do homework and research. And still have no facts that Susan Dey was with Sasquatch and did a Noxema commercial with Joe Namath. May have to go to The Library Of Congress and bribe someone for the info. I googled "shoes are missing from the sink" and "non sequiturs" and the definitions for each basically reads (paraphrasing) "abstraction."

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXNKcjy4aII

      Cheers,
      G Dogg

      Delete
    3. Bruhthuh G DogG ~

      Ha! Yeah, no doubt about it - psychics are to 'STMcC Presents Battle Of The Bands' what drummers are to Spinal Tap!

      It's a wonder I was able to get Carnac The Magnificent to agree to ply his trade here. Evidently he doesn't read the Obituaries. ;^)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. Hey there Stephen!

    Seems you had a pretty darn good battle this time agound. I really like it when the votes go back and forth.

    Also sounds like you had a pretty darn good birthday, too, despite The Monkees taking a loss. Fun Fact: Back when I was living in Oregon, my roommate wanted to put together a battle post for me - album version v Alternate TV version of Words. I never did get around to using that battle. Maybe one day.
    I almost saw The Monkees in concert in the mid 80's. I had driven from Central Idaho to Portland for the second time ever to visit a friend of mine that had moved there. He lived a block or two from what was then the Civic Stadium, where The Monkees were having an open-air concert. So instead of 'seeing' the concert - we just hung out on the balcony of the apartment and 'listened' to the concert.

    See ya on or around the 15th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, MMQE ~

      Yeah, this Battle was an unexpected success. I looked at it as just a kind of throwaway joke, but it turned into one of my better Battles in recent times. I've had a number of blowouts lately, but not this time. Maybe I need to do more "Joke Battles".

      I never saw The Monkees. (But then, heck, I never saw The Beach Boys, either.) If given a choice, I would actually have rather seen The Monkees than The Beatles. And that probably says more about how I feel about The Beatles than how I feel about The Monkees.

      See ya soon!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. >>some witnesses whom I later spoke with described the bus driver as looking quite a bit like Patrick McGoohan.<<

    HAHAHAHA!

    (or maybe I should say "bwahahaha!")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D
      Yeah, I thought you might get a kick outta that.

      Hmmm.... Do any of these psychics *really* die? Or do they just go into hiding and harm each other due to professional jealousy?

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to you! Looks like you'll be catching up to me since I've decided to disregard any future birthday for myself. In fact I think I'll start regressing my age. I'll probably start doing that anyway, but might as well become the age I'll be acting.

    Good Battle. The right artist won as far as I'm concerned, but a rematch might be in order. Slow Partridge song against an uptempo Monkees tune?

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just noticed how similar our point spreads turned out to be! Interesting.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea of going backwards now, LEE. I think 60 is a good turning-around point. Otherwise, I fear there is a steep hill just ahead and barely out of my view at the moment.

      Yes, I think I may do a rematch sometime. I've got a surprisingly hard-rockin' Partridge Family song in mind which I very nearly used *this* time, and it may yet see the light of day here in a future Battle.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  7. Happy 60th Birthday, a little late! 🎂 Sorry I missed the battle (still on a break) but I would have voted for The Monkees. Not that it helps. Hope you had a nice time in Pleasant Valley. Another great Monkees song, too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DEBBIE!
      Yeah, I really like 'Pleasant Valley Sunday'. One of my very favorite Monkees songs. But 'Daydream Believer' has always been my #1. Really love that song!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  8. I'm looking at your comment above...not only do I love "Daydream Believer," it is my favorite video from that era. It's so colorful, Davy is dancing and crooning, Monkees buffoonery escalates in the background...it encapsulates the whole feel of the Monkees, in addition to being a great, great tune.

    Awww...now I'm sad about dead Monkees and bygone days...

    But look! Here's Shawn Mendes...Ed Sheeran...Glen Hansard...I'll be okay.

    Nice battle, bro. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the Battle, DOC MacSIS. It turned out better'n I expected for something just tossed off on a whim. I would never have thought to do this had it not been for the comments left by Nappy 'n' Lelly.

      I just watched that video for 'Daydream Believer'. Hadn't seen it for a long time and it was a fun one. Micky really had the "ham" in overdrive! But then again, when didn't he?
      ;^)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  9. Gosh darn it! And dagnabbit! I'm so sorry I missed your birthday!! You're still younger than me...so, I'll always think of you as a ....younger guy! LOL Hope you had a great B'day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BECKY-O! ~
      It was a nice day. Nuttin' to write home about, but nice. And I didn't break a hip. I didn't have one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" misfortunes. So, overall, it was good.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
    2. Good to hear! And you're definitely not old enough to break a hip yet! Ha!

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.