.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, August 7, 2020

BOTB RESULTS: 2020, AUG. 1 (Or, RYAN ADAMS VERSUS KENNY CHESNEY & PINK)

.
.
STMcC’s Vote On '2020, August 1st: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Ryan Adams Versus Kenny Chesney & Pink - And The Final Tally:
.
First and foremost, I wish to thank all you Doggs & Doggettes for taking time to visit my blog and humoring me by listening to the Battle songs I presented and weighing in with your opinions. Y'all voluntarily tossed two cents into the BOTB kitty despite a national change shortage, and I appreciated that. Thank you!!
.
It was a 'Battle For Los Angeles' installment which took place HERE, and it was one of the extremely rare occasions when I actually used two songs that I, personally, didn't really dig. Even so, it was a very good, competitive contest. Both songs ('La Cienega Just Smiled' and 'Setting The World On Fire') prominently mention La Cienega Boulevard in L.A. I still don't quite know why the songwriters find that street, which runs through West Hollywood, so notable. I know why *I* do, but I don't know why *they* do. (Maybe it was for the same reason?...)
.
.
My own BOTB Bote went to Ryan Adams' 'La Cienega Just Smiled'. I kinda-sorta like that ballad. Not enough to ever feel like I need it in my compact disc collection, but it does have a bit of nostalgia / melancholic mood going for it.
.
On the other hand, I feel the same way that A Beer for the Shower feels about Kenny & Pink's 'Setting The World On Fire'. He wrote this:
.
I liked Ryan Adams a lot more than I liked Kenny Chesney and Pink, but that was to be expected, because I'm not big on Kenny Chesney and I'm not big on Pink. They put together that typical poppy sound that I'm not a fan of (I'm surprised they didn't pepper a Millennial whoop in there for good measure)
.
Yip! I don't consider Kenny to be real Country music. It's that '90s Pop sound that Country became after the "Country Outlaw" style of music became long in the tooth. It ain't your father's Country music, and it ain't mine, either!
.
Nevertheless, a very slight majority of voters preferred it to Ryan Adams' offering: 
.
Ryan Adams = 7 votes
.
Kenny Chesney & Pink = 9 votes
.
I thank you all again for your participation! God willing, I will be back with a new Battle Of The Bands installment on September 1st. And I will be around to vote on all the Battles that other BOTB participants present us with on August 15th.
.
May you all Bless And Be Blessed!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

8 comments:

  1. The outcome doesn't surprise me too much, but probably that poppy sound and slick production helped the win. You and I were on the same page with our votes and lack of interest in rushing out to buy a copy of the Ryan Adams album for the song.

    Maybe the use of "La Cienega" has something to do with a certain poetic quality to the name. It's kind of musical to say don't you think?

    Good Battle. Either way I'm okay with a win by either song. I'll post my results on Monday.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      Yeah, it could possibly be partially due to the way "La Cienega" rolls off the tongue. Funny, though, that it essentially translates to "the swamp". Hardly poetic imagery.

      Although I wasn't wild about either song, I *DID* sense that they would be a good match-up and would make for a good 'Battle For L.A.' installment. I'm pleased with the way it went.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS'

      Delete
  2. Saint Mac: Had I remembered to come by, I probably would have voted for Kenny and Pink too. Love the song - and both artists.

    Thanks for stopping by my site to say Hello - your very kind words were much appreciated. Good to know all this craziness in the world hasn't adversely affected you sense of humor.

    Stay cool Dude :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WILD THING ~

      My sense o' humor is the second to last thing I will lose. Followed only by my life.

      "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
      ~ Roger Rabbit

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

      Delete
  3. Brudder, Methinks that was a fine battle, sir! Worthy of the name, indeed.

    There's several Pink songs that I like and I've used her at least once, but this reminds me that I need to review past battles and make sure my favs are getting some air time.

    Hmmmm. I don't know if air time is airtime or air time. Can you tell me what my current grade point average is? If I'm hurtin', I'll pay more attention to spelling. Can I get extra credit?

    Hope your birthday was so good, it can't be repeated.

    Love, Cherdo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOC MacSIS ~

      Sorry I'm so late in responding but... times are crazy, people are crazy, and beer is good.

      Prior to this Battle, all I knew about Pink was that she went around writing her name on the clothing of most females.

      Your current grade point average is: Acceptable in the Eyes of The Lord. If you want a 4.0, you'll have to work harder. ;-) You can always do an oil painting of a bullfight for Extra Credit (like I did in high school in order to keep from flunking out of my Spanish class).

      My boithday was pert good. And, no, I'd rather not repeat it. Thanks, Doc - my sister from anutter mister!

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
  4. Hey Stephen,

    As usual, I'm late to the party. It looks like I sided with the winner this round. Yea Haw! I can't imagine P!nk saying that, can you? Thanks for dropping in today to vote in my mid-month BoTB. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAThy ~

      If you weren't late, you wouldn't be fashionable!

      >>... I can't imagine P!nk saying that, can you?

      I can't imagine pink at all. Real men don't acknowledge pink! Can you imagine John Wayne in a pink Stetson?! I don't think so!! [;^)

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.