.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Saturday, April 9, 2022

BOTB RESULTS: 2022, APRIL 1st (Or, EDDY VERSUS TRINI)

.


.

First and foremost, I want to thank all my friends who took the time 'n' trouble to stop by, listen, and vote on my latest 'Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) post which appeared [link> HERE. The song was the early 1960s hit 'WE'LL SING IN THE SUNSHINE' - the cover versions performed by Eddy Arnold and Trini Lopez.

.

.

I like this earworm-y song and really didn't know what to expect with this Battle. I figured it could possibly go either way, and to my mind there wasn't any clear favorite or underdog. And that is EXACTLY the way the Battle played out! That's right! It was a tie:

.

FINAL TALLY:

Eddy Arnold = 6 votes

Trini Lopez = 6 votes

.

.

I like both versions very well and honestly could have felt satisfied voting either way. However, I sided just slightly with Eddy Arnold and essentially for the same reason that Arlee Bird did. He wrote, "Trini's version is just too--ah--sunny?" Yeah, I feel that the underlying current which belies the cheerfulness of the melody kind of gets lost in Trini's super-upbeat happy-happy approach. But even so, I still really do like the Trini recording. This Battle was a Win-Win in my opinion.

.

.

Although it picked up later, the voting started out so slow in this Battle that for several days I was beginning to think this may be my final BOTB installment. I sed it before and I seds it again: If one of my BOTB voting tallies ever falls below double digits (i.e., less than at least 10 votes, counting my own), THAT will be my final Battle. I just feel I put too much thought & time into these contests to justify anything less than double digit feedback. Happily, however, this Battle got into double digit "boting" late in the game, so I'll be back with another BOTB installment on May 1st. I hope to see all y'all here again then.

.

.

In what is a first for me, I actually have ALL of my Battle songs and contestants lined up for the remainder of the year (excluding the December Christmas theme, which is yet to be determined). Until next time, may you all...

.

BLESS AND BE BLESSED!!

.

~ Stephen T. McCarthy

.

.

6 comments:

  1. That seems like a reasonable outcome. After all, some people just prefer being more sunny.

    I've got a lot of Battles lined up and waiting, but that doesn't mean I'll do them. I tend to come up with new ideas sometimes that I just like better than what I've scheduled.

    Catch your post on May 1. In the mean time I'll be blogging about my vinyl LPs until the end of the month.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      Same here. I actually have Battle match-ups on a 3 or 4-page list that have been written down since the very advent of BOTB 8+ years ago.

      Occasionally I DO post one of those old Battle ideas. But more times than not, I seem to come up with newer ideas that I prefer to the older ones.

      But it's nice to have a list to fall back on in case I ever come up empty and need something to post in the 11th hour.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. Stephen -

    The dreaded TIE. Arrrgh!

    What/where are the photos/art you posted in the results post? Jesus Christ surfing... I get. But the gazebo, the church, and "the end:" where are they from, and what's the significance?

    Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BROTHER McSIXGUN ~

      Yeah, another tie! Ain't that a pisser?!

      Oh, well. I should be used to it by now and should just accept it as a kind of compliment... I suppose.

      But I'll NEVER get over my 'James Dean' BOTB series that resulted in a tie. What a complete waste of time. However, it did cure me of the idea of ever doing a multiple month Battle "series" again. (Unless I get the sickness again. Is there a vaccine to prevent that?!)

      >>... But the gazebo, the church, and "the end:" where are they from, and what's the significance?

      Hey! Thanks for the questions!! Seriously, it's nice that someone notices and cares enough to axe a few Qs.

      I took the gazebo picture in Virginia City approx. 5 years ago. It just looked kind of surreal to me, on the grass and under the sun with that huge mountainous background. Fun Fact: I've hiked all those mountain tops in the background.

      The Church photo was taken in "Willoughberry" on Oct. 7, 2018. It's not a church I would ever attend, but the olde style New England look of it really appealed to me. And it was right about the moment I took that photo that I made up my mind to try to move here to Willoughberry. (That church and the town it's in just seemed kind of lost in a time warp.) God be praised, I've been living here for over 3 years now and I love it as much today as the day I first U-Hauled all my "stuffs" down here from the hell that's 30 miles North of here.

      "The End" pic is just a cell phone shot from the very ending of the movie 'On Any Sunday'. Love that movie, and I'm sure that you do, too. The theme song really brings the Goldenshadow for me. (There ain't much that's sunnier than 'The Endless Summer' and 'On Any Sunday'.)

      My Pa passed on 26 years ago today. And one of the things I'm gonna do today in remembrance of him is play that 2-disc set you sent me years ago of 'The Greatest Country Drinking Songs'. The man liked Country and the man didn't mind a little bourbon in his 7-Up. So, muchos gracias, mi amigo!

      I've got a BOTB match-up set for May 1st that I think you'll get a bit of a kick out of. It's something quite different and kind of humorous. It's also something you and I once briefly laughed about eons ago. I'm dying to give you a clue but I don't want to tip my hand.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Howdy, Stephen T.

    Much as I understand the feeling, I'm glad you're not giving up;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, dIEDRE ~

      I sure do appreciate all of your support and input. Thanks for playing an important part in what I'm doing here.

      Most Sincerely,
      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.