.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Sunday, May 8, 2022

BOTB RESULTS: 2022, MAY 1 (Or, R.J.S. VERSUS R.J.S. VERSUS R.J.S.)

.

.

The results are in! 

My most recent 'Battle Of The Bands' installment took place [link> HERE, and it was match-up between the three big Billboard hits by the group REO Journey Styxwagon

.

I thought the Battle was a fun one (semi-tongue-in-cheek, but ONLY "semi") and the comment section exchanges were just as much fun if not funner. (Yeah, funner is not a real world, but it should be, and since when did a maverick like me begin paying attention to all the arbitrary rules invented by the eggheads? Huh? When? When did I? Answer! Answer the damned question! ;-)


I really, sincerely appreciate everyone who stopped by with a vote! You peoples are the reason I keep playing this game. And since I did manage to reach double-digit votes again (barely), there will indeed be another BOTB installment from me on June 1st. It won't be as outside-the-box as this one was, but I still think it'll be worth our time.

.

So, how'd I "bote" in this contest and what was the outcome of this Battle?

.

I have an occasional sweet tooth, but 'Babe' by REO Journey Styxwagon was just way too saccharine sweet for me!

.

I have an occasional sweet tooth, but 'Open Arms' by REO Journey Styxwagon was just way too saccharine sweet for me!

.

I have an occasional sweet tooth, and 'Can't Fight This Feeling' by REO Journey Styxwagon was sweet but not TOO SWEET for me!

.

FINAL TALLY:

'Babe' = 3 votes 

'Open Arms' = 4 votes

'Can't Fight This Feeling' = 4 votes 

.

Today, I don't own a single compact disc by REO Journey Styxwagon, but if I were to buy one, it would most definitely be the album [link> 'hi INfiDELITY'. To me, this was the best album ever put out by R.J.S. and it carries a lot of fond memories for me:

.

For a year or so in the early 1980s, my dear ol' friend Big Al and I used to drive down to the Redondo Beach Pier most Tuesdays to partake of the all-you-can-eat dinner buffet at the EL TORITO Mexican Restaurant there. And 9 or 10 times out of 10, 'hi INfiDELITY' was the cassette we'd listen to while making the drive in Big Al's little MG convertible sports car. I have goot memories associated with that one particular album by REO Journey Styxwagon and I really should purchase the CD someday. 

.

Although it's not my favorite song on 'hi INfiDELITY', I think 'Tough Guys' has the single greatest intro ever tacked on to a song. Take a listen here:

.

'TOUGH GUYS' by REO Journey Styxwagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmn23I4wvY

.

Anyway, thanks again, all y'all, for your participation. I feel that a tie was actually apropos for a Battle like this. It's the first BOTB tie I've ever had that I can wholeheartedly applaud. I hope you'll all come to visit me again on June 1st for more "Jocularity! Jocularity!"

.

Stephen T. McCarthy 

12 comments:

  1. Sure, "funner" is a real word. My kids used to say it all the time and now that they're adults they still say it and now their kids are saying it. And you said it so it's all real. As real as anything else I'd say.

    We had very similar turnouts as well as rather similar point spreads. But we had pretty similar group match ups as well. Two nice three way Battles between us.

    I have a few Styx albums on vinyl, cassette, and CD, but they are my favorite band of the three. As to Journey and REO--both groups that I like okay--I have only greatest hits CDs by each. That's the way I started going in the last years of my CD buying which ended about 12 years ago when I stopped working. There is a correlation there, but even if I had all sorts of excess spending money I doubt whether I'd be expanding my album collection. Too much stuff and I won't be needing it when I leave this Earth and I don't think anyone I leave behind will care that much about it.

    Besides there's YouTube and so many other places to hear music without buying it.

    I've got way too much stuff. Way too much.

    Good Battle with a good outcome!

    My results are now posted as well.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      I have way too much stuffs, also. And that includes compact discs. Everything that I dearly love, I would definitely want to have on CD. But I have CDs here that don't get played more than once every few years. For those, I could probably rely more on the AlGoreNet. But I'll likely never really sell off a bunch of discs like I did circa 1989 with my LP collection.

      For a couple of years, Styx was actually my favorite Rock band in the world and I owned their first 8 LPs, up to and including 'Pieces Of Eight' (1978). But it was at that point where I began thinking they were simultaneously formulaic and pretentious. And it was right about there that I became a massive fan of Bruce Springsteen's music, which was about as far removed from the Styx sound as Rock music could get.

      Ironically, today, I don't like much of Springsteen's music, either. (And definitely dislike the man himself.) I own no Styx music now and I have only the first two Springsteen releases, which I purchased used and cheaply on CD.

      Sometimes, I reflect on how much my taste in music changed over the decades and I am amazed by it. In my old(er) age, I now prefer my parents' music to that which I was blasting "cranked up to eleven" when I was in my teens and early twenties. Amazing! SMH. At least in terms of music, I have become my Pa & Ma. Life is strange.

      Catch ya again on June 1st.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

      Delete
  2. Stephen,

    At least your battle made it hard on those voting with things ending in a tie. I'll see you on Jun 1st for your newest battle. Thanks for dropping by today, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa, CAThy!

      Yes, I was actually extremely pleased with the way this Battle went. Even though I was just being silly about it, and having some fun - not taking the Battle the least bit seriously - it turned out to be amongst my favorites. Certainly not my A-#1 BOTB installment ever, but probably in the Top 10.

      There's a lot to be said for "just foolin' about".

      See ya again before too long, M'Dear!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

      Delete
  3. One more vote would have either given you a winner or a three-way tie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOHN ~

      Yeah, and I was actually hoping for a 3-Way Tie. (Remember that! Because you'll *NEVER* see me write something like that ever again.)

      Considering my contention that Styx, Journey and REO Speedwagon are actually the same band with three aliases, I thought a 3-Way Tie would have been a hilarious conclusion to this Battle.

      Even so, I'm pleased with this ending. Two bands(?) tied for first and the last band(?) only 1 vote behind them. Pretty cool denouement!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. Yo S-Man,

    Good battle well measured. I tried to think of another genre with three similar groups to no avail. Earth, Wind and Fire and - no other groups. Apropos of left field, I know you and your bro-bro like baseball -- if you haven't seen the movie -- "Moneyball." Based on the book by the same guy who wrote The Big Short book. I'm recently following tennis -- don't call me a sissy - figure of speech, seriously don't. 120mph serves at the pro level and spin like curve balls and hits like sliders. But can they hit with old school wooden rackets the size of badminton rackets - or make curves like whiffle balls - I think not by cracky. Looking forward to the next battle.

    And the old school joke based on the REO song "Take It On The Run" -- "I got it from a friend who got it from a friend." Reference related to the Spinal Tap scene where two guys in the group have the same cold sores.

    Cheers,
    G Dogg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor DogG ~

      Thanks for checking in on the outcome.

      Under no circumstances would I call you a sissy. (Nor a jive turkey, neither! ;-)

      My next Battle is going to be...

      Earth, Wind & Fire versus
      Wind, Fire & Earth versus
      Fire, Earth & Wind.

      That should be a close one!

      Let's see... Donna SUMMER versus Edgar WINTER? Uhm...
      GOLDEN Earring versus Bob Seger & The SILVER Bullet Band...

      Dang! The possibilities are endless.

      Phunny you mentioned 'MONEYBALL', because my Brother and I just watched it about two weeks ago for the second or third time. (Great minds drink alike!) Obviously a good movie, because I don't watch garbage more'n once.

      Funny joke! I definitely remember that bit about the cold sores in 'Tap'. That's a movie I have probably seen upwards of 6 times. Love it. Love 'A Mighty Wind', too, but it'll never surpass 'Tap'. (I would never boo The Folksmen off the stage!)

      My next Battle should be... interesting.

      ~ Stephen
      DogGtor of Alcohology &
      King of Inebriation Nation

      Delete
  5. Great battle! Good sample song (Tough Guys) too. It must have had at least a bit of airplay since I kind of remember it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, dIEDRE! ~

      I even remember that Spanky & Our Gang episode about the He-Man Woman Hater's Club. What a terrific way to start a song about a woman who isn't taking any guff & nonsense from the wannabe tough boys.

      Most of the time, I have a general idea of how one of my Battles will go. (Sometimes I'm about 180-degrees wrong, though.) But my next Battle - which has been on my 'To Do' list for quite awhile - I have NO IDEA what to expect. It'll be mostly unknown male versus mostly unknown female, and I'm really curious to see what people think of the completely unknown song.

      This next Battle probably won't be one of my more popular contests, but I'm just itching to see what the feedback is like.

      Take care, my friend. And thanks a million for checking in to get the Results!


      ~ D-FensDogG
      'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

      Delete
  6. Awesome one, Thank you for sharing, looking forward for the next battle.

    Thanks again,
    Sara
    Email Address lookup
    https://minelead.io/finder/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, SARA!
      I'm not sure that my next Battle on June 1st is going to go over very well. It's a kind of niche musical genre that I suspect most will not have even heard of and it probably won't greatly appeal to most of my readers. But... I gotta be me. ;-)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.