.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Monday, July 24, 2023

A BOY LEFT WAITING

[Link> Quadrille #180: Pouring Out Our Poems

A BOY LEFT WAITING 

He lies on the new dock and listens to the water 

As it gently spanks the shore in contempt 

In the midst of this solitary scolding 

He can do nothing but think back on that dream 

And recall her soft face and tender ways 


~ D-FensDogG

9 comments:

  1. Great poem. Mr. Linky is pretty easy. Just copy the URL from the post that you just finished and go back and click on the Mr. Linky box. It will ask for your name and the URL. Then you accept some conditions...hopefully nothing too dangerous since I don't think I've really read them ever...then click okay or enter or whatever they ask for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CHRISTINE!

      This sort of thing isn't normally my bailiwick, but I thought: What the helck! I don't want to be stuck in a rut.

      I'll take a look at Mr. Linky (although he was my Trigonometry teacher in high school, and we never got along. ;^D )

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. Captivating poem, Stephen, full of pathos. And I love the image of spanking the shore in contempt. Such a brilliant line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-gee, thanks, DEBBIE!

      I don't know what I was doing. On a whim I decided to post something *completely different*. The poem had to be exactly 44 words and contain the word "water" or some form of that word.

      I remembered an old poem I wrote in 1982 in which I mentioned water. (It was based on an actual dream I'd had.) So, digging it up, I found that I could excerpt just the second stanza from the poem and try to let it stand alone. (It was 45 words, so I just cut out a single "And" and it worked.)

      The last poem I wrote was 1993 or '94. I then decided that "tough guys don't dance" and that real men "don't mix poetry with their whiskey".
      :^D

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. What's this! I wondered and then I clicked that link and realized. Nice poem that fit the parameters of the challenge. I've added this new blogger to my list of BOTB participants. Looking forward to what she will have to offer.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LEE. Just something to do that was different... and already written decades ago.

      See ya tomorrow.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. Sounds like Fun! So I just sent you two of 'em!

    Sixgun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BROTHER SIXGUN SLINGER ~

      The E-agle has landed.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.