.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Sunday, October 8, 2023

BOTB RESULTS: OCT. 1, 2023 (Or, SINATRA & THE MOB VS. THE DOCTOR & HIS NURSE)


.
The song was 'Makin' Whoopee' and the contestants were Frank Sinatra versus Dr. John & Rickie Lee Jones. The Battle (if we can use that word) took place HERE.
.
Before I go any further, as always, I thank each and every single one of you who took the time to stop by, listen, and submit a vote (a.k.a. "spiking the punch" and "feeding the kitty"). This was a nice turnout... although the contest turned out nothing like I expected it would. 
.
Personally, I like both of the recordings, and I thought that John & Jones had a decent chance of squeaking out a win. However, since Ol' Blue Eyes is the "Chairman of the Board", I figured that made John & Jones the underdog(s) in this contest. 
.
Hokey-Smoke! Look at these results:
.
FINAL TALLY :
Frank Sinatra = 3 votes
Dr. John & Rickie Lee Jones = 10 votes
.
My own vote also went to John & Jones. I really like that slow, funky groove they had going on, and I also thought that this song worked great as a male / female duet.
.
Please join me here again on November 1st for the final (Super Bowl!) installment of my $ilver Dollar $aloon $ong Challenge. Until then . . . .
.
Bless & Be Blessed!!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy

10 comments:

  1. "A decent chance of squeaking out a win." Looks like more than a measly squeak to me, Maestro :-) I have to admit (though it pains me) it was a right fine duet John and Jones had going on. But since Sinatra started the whoopie nonsense he may as well wear it around his neck. Like a clove of garlic.
    Any how, great battle. If this means John will still be hanging around, may I suggest 'three steps' for Mr. Velcro? ;-) Have a happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dIEDRE ~

      You discombobulated my mental gears with that ending. 'Three steps' for Mr. Velcro? I actually googled that and came away with... nut'n.

      When I think "three steps", I'm reminded of Lynyrd Skynyrd's song 'Gimme Three Steps'. When I think of "Mr. Velcro", I'm reminded of... (_____ - blank space here).

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. Ha! Didn't mean to discombobulate your gears. Skynyrd is exactly right. Velcro is a reference to Dr. John's unbeatable, sticky, staying-in-the-ring winning luck - or streak ;-)

      Delete
    3. Oh, yeah, The Good Doctor is very tough to beat. That punk kid, Jonny Lang, managed to land one lucky punch. But after a brief vacation in Bermuda, the Doc was back in the ring again, this time with Sinatra, and "showing him a lesson".

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. Frank kinda gor his butt kicked, didn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even the Mob could save him from that beating!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Well, most people got this wrong I see. Guess everyone was drunk or on drugs when they listened to the choices. Really Frank Sinatra won this thing.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, I was drunk. I was drunk on Frank's favorite hooch -- Jack Daniel's -- and I still couldn't bring myself to vote for him.

      Incidentally, Jack Daniel's also voted for Dr. John & Rickie Lee Jones. However, I didn't include his vote in the tally because he didn't post it, but merely mentioned it to me before he passed out. (All votes must be submitted in writing!)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised the results weren't closer, but I'm happy to be on the winning side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE, I'm not surprised that John & Jones won, but the margin by which they did so is somewhat of a shocker to me. (My expectations are rarely off to this degree. Oh, well... keeps it forever interesting.)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.