.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

BOTB RESULTS: NOV. 1, 2023 (Or, JONNY LANG VERSUS JOHNNY HORTON)

.
Former bar owner, Stephanie, at far left.
.
I sincerely thank every one of you who stopped by to cast a vote in the "Super Bowl" (final round) of my Battle Of The Bands $ilver Dollar $aloon $ong Challenge which took place HERE. After six months of Battles, we have our champion!
.
This was a really terrific Battle; exactly the sort of neck-&-neck competition I had hoped to see in our $D$$C Super Bowl. And it seemed very fitting that a Jonny Lang song would wind up vying for the championship, since it was the Silver Dollar Saloon's former owner, Stephanie (now dwelling in the Spiritual realm), who made me aware of Jonny Lang in December of 2019.
.
I like the Jonny Lang song 'Lie To Me' quite well. Apparently The Kid was only 15 years old when this was recorded. What a talent! (This kind of nearly unreal "prodigy" stuff is one of many things that convince me of the truth of reincarnation. You don't come into "this world" with talent like that unless you honed it to some degree in a previous lifetime.)
.
Beforehand, I felt certain about how Debbie D'Doglady would vote (no "Purple Waylon Effect" this time), and also certain about how Judge Al Bondigas would "rule". And since I knew their votes would cancel each other out, a shutout was out of the question. I didn't feel confident in predicting how my other friends would vote, so I was anticipating a possible blowout... or a tie.
.
I love the Johnny Horton novelty song 'The Battle Of New Orleans' too much, and have far too much personal history wrapped up in it to possibly vote against it. My Ma bought the 45 single but we wee kids (my Brother, my Sister, and I) played it more than she did. I must have spent hours studying the record's dust sleeve.
.
.
.
What all that boils down to is...
.
FINAL TALLY
Jonny Lang = 5 votes
Johnny Horton = 6 votes

.
'The Battle Of New Orleans' by Johnny Horton is (in this blog's opinion) the supreme song of the Silver Dollar Saloon in Virginia City, Nevada. The Silver Dollar Saloon, the only essential dive bar in Virginia City, where dogs are welcome and people are tolerated:
.
.
.
Fun Fact: Did you know that the Silver Dollar Saloon was once included in a Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoon?
.
..
SPEND 1 MINUTE INSIDE THE 
REAL SILVER DOLLAR SALOON: 
CLICK RIGHT HERE!
.
Well, thanks again all y'all for making my $ilver Dollar $aloon $ong Challenge lotsa fun! I intend to return here again on December 1st with a Holiday themed Battle for your consideration. I hope you'll be here, too! Until then...
.
Happy Trails to you, and may you
Bless And Be Blessed!!
.
~ Stephen
DogGtor of Alcohology &
King of Inebriation Nation

12 comments:

  1. Well, I'm surprised! At least it was close. Thanks for that link to the Saloon video. Lotta stairs! Not good when you've had a few too many. ☺ Saw the dog - my kind of place, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~

      I was really thrilled that a Jonny Lang song made it to the final Battle (a fitting tribute to Stephanie!) And also thrilled that the final installment was as close as it could be without being a tie.

      I really enjoyed the Silver Dollar Saloon Song Challenge and love the final result. I've got a whole new thematic Challenge planned for 2024, which I think you'll also enjoy. And this Challenge taught me a few things, so I think the way I run my 2024 contests will actually be better.

      One of my more memorable visits to The Silver Dollar Saloon was when I sat next to a guy at the bar and we watched the off-roading documentary 'On Any Sunday' together on his fancy cell phone.

      Last Friday when I was in the Silver Dollar, there were three dogs in the place. One belonged to the bartender. The Silver Dollar Saloon is the best place for getting some "hair of the dog". ;^D

      Yeah, those steps could be treacherous to a "laminated" person. Truthfully, though, I never ever drink to that extent any more. I have just enough to shave smoother the rough edge of life.

      ~ Stephen

      Delete
  2. Not only was that a great battle (I really thought Jonny might edge it out), but I loved that short video walking into the Silver Dollar Saloon, especially hearing how excited those folks were. How could you NOT be excited to visit a bar that cool?

    Also, that's an extremely fun Rocky and Bullwinkle fact. I don't remember that at all. Did they go inside, or was it just a background piece (and you clearly have hawk eyes)?

    ~Chief Julio squints at TV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEAR [Link> CHIEF ~

      The Silver Dollar Saloon is indeed cool and unique. Another very unique bar in the area is the Gold Hill Hotel Saloon, about one mile south of Virginia City, on the same highway.

      Here's the thing... nearly every Old West mining town (or replica of an Old West mining town) that I've ever been to has a saloon called the Silver Dollar. A rare exception is Tombstone, Arizona. The name Silver Dollar is to Old West mining towns what the name ACME is to Road Runner cartoons. So, it's actually not surprising to find a Silver Dollar Saloon in the cartoon world of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

      The Silver Dollar Saloon pictured in this blog bit comes from the Dudley Do-Right episode titled 'The Disloyal Canadians' (Rocky & Bullwinkle, season 1; show 11). I took that picture quite awhile ago. Maybe I'll re-watch that cartoon tonight and refresh my memory about what happens in it. I believe there was perhaps some sort of parody band playing in the saloon. However, probably no dogs wandering around in it (unless Mr. Peabody time-traveled into a Dudley Do-Right episode. ;^)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. That's too bad Jonny Lange, who I voted for, lost but the battle was tight! No, that the Silver Dollar was in the Rocky & Bull Winkle cartoon. That's a cool bit of trivia! Thanks for stopping by today to check out my battle results, Stephen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAThy, we both had pretty unusual match-ups in this round but both of our Battles were competitive. Sometimes what looks a bit odd on paper (so to speak) works out surprisingly well in practice.

      See ya again in the next one, my friend.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. Just dropping by to say, Happy Thanksgiving Day, Stephen!!

      Delete
    3. CAThy, it's that you!!

      Thank you, m'dear. And right back atcha!

      Being a vegetarian since late 1985, the only "turkey" I'll be having will be "wild", and clocking in at 101 proof. :^D
      (Ain't I silly?)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. Good, close battle!
    Enjoyed the Silver Dollar trivia and the video. That guy looked familiar ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guy looked familiar?
      Uhm... You're not implying that guy might-a been me, iz you?

      Delete at least 65-70 pounds, add 88 Cool credits, replace the baseball cap with a flat-brimmed cowboy hat, and then... you have me, the...

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  5. Oops! I missed this results post initially, but not too much of a surprise in the outcome. After all, Battle of NOLA is kind of where it all began for our blogging realm and it deserved to come out on top. But it sure was a close one!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is *EXACTLY* how I would have had this Battle turn out, if I were a dictator and could make all things happen according to my will.

      I declare that it was "a perfect phone call!"--- er... I mean, it was a perfect Battle!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.