.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, March 8, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: 2024, MARCH 1 (JIMBO'S BEER VERSUS DONALD'S BEER)


.
There was a nice turnout for my most recent Battle Of The Bands installment which took place HERE. It was between Jim Morrison's beer ('Roadhouse Blues') and Don Henley's beer ('Sunset Grill'), and I thank every one of you who came by and contributed your two cents and a pint of "evidence" to the punch bowl
.
Judge Al Bondigas had predicted a blowout in favor of The Doors. I knew going in that Don Henley was probably the underdog, but I also envisioned a much closer outcome. Like, perhaps a 3-vote margin of victory between winner and loser. After all, 'Sunset Grill' had been a Billboard hit song at #22, while 'Roadhouse Blues' was not even in the Top 40. However, it seems that Judge Al may be BOTB's new psychic. Because (after including my own vote for The Doors' song), the contest was indeed no "contest"!
.
FINAL TALLY
Jim & The Doors = 10 votes 
Don Henley = 4 votes 
.
So, 'Roadhouse Blues' will move on to the eventual 'Battle Of The Booze' playoff rounds, while Don Henley just... rides off into a tequila sunset.
.
I suppose the thing that surprised me the *most* about this Battle was that no one in the comment section - not even the four folks who voted for 'Sunset Grill' - mentioned the intensely energetic horn segment at the end of Henley's song. To me, that is clearly the highlight of the piece, which sounds as good as most classic Big Band stuffs which I greatly love. 
.
Anyway, thanks again, my friends, for taking time to visit my blog and participating in my music Battle! I intend to post a new BOTB contest here on March 15th and I hope you'll return for that one. Until then, may you all... 
.
Bless & Be Blessed!!
.
~ Stephen 

14 comments:

  1. Great battle! Still have yet to have a beer for breakfast, but maybe I will try that someday soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Ed, if you ain't already dun that, I suggest you not begin now. That's a young fool's "hair of the dog" game. And I did it enough times for *both* of us... and then some. (A whole lotta "then some".)

      Ma & Pa raised me with a real 'old school' work ethic, so I never once missed a day of work due to lasting effects from the night before. But I'll also admit that there were plenty of mornings where I would *NOT* have made it to work without first sipping at least 12 ounces of "dog hair".

      I thank God that those years are far behind me. I can't even imagine how people do that stuffs in their senior years. Just thinking about some of the hangovers I experienced long ago can make me shudder! (And the song 'Rocky Raccoon' brings it all back with just too dang-much clarity... and nausea.)

      ~ Stephen

      Delete
  2. I guess I understand the reasoning behind the Doors win here, but I still prefer Henley's song. The album it came from is one that I listened to so many many times when I was on the road. I particularly relate the song with driving late at night. It's a good nighttime song.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOIDMAN ~

      That was quite a successful album for Henley! It produced four (count 'em: 4!) Billboard Top 40 hits:
      'The Boys Of Summer'
      'All She Wants To Do Is Dance'
      'Not Enough Love In The World'
      and
      'Sunset Grill'.

      Henley could have very, Very comfortably retired just on the money he made from that one album alone. (Which of course isn't even counting all of the earlier Eagles hits.)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Good battle, Stephen T.!
    Since the opening horns in Sunset Grill always assured me a win at the 2-3 Notes or Less game, I had to go back to hear the ending horns. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dIEDRE ~

      You're 100% correct! I just went back and listened to the beginning of 'Sunset Grill', and that opening, with the drums, is utterly unmistakable!

      For a 1984 Rock song, it was quite unique! I bought the LP primarily for the song 'The Boys Of Summer', but I liked 'Sunset Grill' almost as much.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. You were most surprised by us going silent on the horns (they are great...that guy was on numerous famous songs.)

    What surprised me the most about this battle is that so many of your readers liked The Doors, because their stuff is just awful. Morrison always sang flat, and... can you pull your trousers down just a BIT lower on your abdomen? And pout a bit more, will ya?

    Your next battle will be covers by two more of my favorites: Willie Nelson singing "Brindisi" (The Drinking Song from Verdi's La Traviata) vs Karen Carpenter covering Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy." Can't wait!

    VI
    Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>... Your next battle will be covers by two more of my favorites: Willie Nelson singing "Brindisi" (The Drinking Song from Verdi's La Traviata) vs Karen Carpenter covering Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy."

      Wrong again, Fishface!

      My next BOTB installment should be right up your alley. Dogged if I'm not going to put Joni Mitchell up against Betty Lee, the lead vocalist for Rush; and I'm going to call the Battle [Link> "Squealer's Delight".

      (One ought not poke a sleeping bear. Let sleeping bears lie. ;^D )

      ~ D-FensBear

      Delete
  5. It was a good battle and I'm looking forward to your next one! Roadhouse Blues has been a favourite song for decades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~

      Not nearly as close as I thought it would be, however my predicted winner *did* win.

      I know with 423.83% certainty how you will vote in my next Battle. But I'm really not sure who will win. It'll be interesting to see how my March 15th contest turns out.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  6. I had a feeling...I mean, it is The Doors. It was a good battle and I will wonder which song you pick next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIRGIT ~

      I'd tell you NOW but... that would spoil the surprise.

      All I can reveal at this moment is this:

      I won't be using any songs by Steppenwolf, Metallica, Rod Stewart, or The Moody Blues.

      (I realize that makes little sense to you, but Debbie might un'erstan' it.)

      ~ Stephen
      (the Dog Dude)

      Delete
  7. I had a feeling...I mean, it is The Doors. It was a good battle and I will wonder which song you pick next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIRGIT ~

      I had a feeling... you might say that.
      (I mean, I AM psychic, after all!)

      I'd tell you NOW but... that would spoil the surprise.

      All I can reveal at this moment is this:

      I won't be using any songs by Steppenwolf, Metallica, Rod Stewart, or The Moody Blues.

      (I realize that makes little sense to you, but Debbie might still un'erstan' it.)

      ~ Stephen
      (the Dog Dude)

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.