Sunday, June 23, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: JUNE 15, 2024 (Or, THE BLUES BROTHERS Versus VAN MORRISON)

 
.
The outcome of my latest BOTB's Battle Of The Booze came as a surprise to me. The contest took place HERE and it was between 'Hey, Bartender' by The Blues Brothers and 'If You Only Knew' by Van Morrison. I half-expected The Blues Brothers would have some difficulty keeping up with Van-The-Man, but in this case, the underdog didn't know it was a damn show, they thought it was a damn fight!
.
My own vote was never in question because for many years I was a major Van Morrison fan (and owned all of his albums up to and including 1995's 'Days Like This'). And the last several notes that Pee Wee Ellis plays in his tenor sax solo on 'If You Only Knew' can literally send a shiver up my spine!
.
However, even with my vote, Van wasn't able to match the Blues Brothers' vote total.
.
FINAL TALLY: 
The Blues Brothers = 6 votes 
Van Morrison = 5 votes 
.
Unfortunately, this wasn't a great turnout. (My sincere gratitude to every one of you who did take the time to visit and participate!!) Hopefully more voters will show up for my July 1st Battle Of The Bands installment, because I have something very special planned for that one. I'll be taking a one-Battle break from the booze and featuring the exploits of my ol' pals, The League Of Soul Crusaders. Meaning, of course, that the post will be extremely serene. ;^)
.
"If You Only Knew" > related blog bit HERE.
.
May you all... 
Bless & Be Blessed!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy 

6 comments:

  1. I almost feel guilty about voting for Hey Bartender! The Blues Brothers were just an SNL skit gone wild. Admittedly a good one. But VAN is the MAN and I love his music. Just in this song battle H.B. appealed a bit more. This is probably the only time this would ever happen, and Van is now eliminated while Z Blues Bros go on only to get eliminated in the next battle.

    Sorry, McBrother!
    Six (bottles of beer on the wall)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SIR SIX-PACK Boy ~

      >>... "and Van is now eliminated while Z Blues Bros go on only to get eliminated in the next battle."

      GOL! (Guffaw-Out-Loud!)
      Yeah, that is almost assuredly so. But, nonetheless, you definitely "boted" rightly! You selected your preferred song with intellectual honesty, and that is all I ever ask of any voter in each and every Battle Of The Bands installment I post. I truly do not care one iotawhit who wins the Battle. The only thing that matters to me is that each person tells me THE TRUTH about which song they like-um better.

      You done goot, Sixy! And I applaud your ability to grade according to the presentation presented before you in the present moment. (Merry Christmas, my good friend! ...Where is my present?!!)

      In the final analysis - when all is said and voted upon - neither The Blues Brothers nor Van Morrison have any chance of being #1 victorious in this series. Therefore... this was, really, only a "pause" in the ongoing competition. I really don't have a well thought-out prediction pertaining to the ultimate Champion in BOTB's Battle Of The Booze, but I feel confident in saying that it will likely be something more Rock than Blues / R&B.

      We've got a long way to go yet. With stuffs yet to be presented by America, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Traffic, The Beach Boys, Jim Croce, Spanky & Our Gang, Elvis Presley (ever heard of him?), Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, some loser named Tom Waits, and a punk named Bruce Springsteen, etc., etc.

      We got us a lo-ooo-ng ways to travel down this 80-proof musical highway!

      As always, I 100-proof appreciate your participation, Sheboyganboy Sixgun-boi!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      (of "stately Wayne Manor")

      Delete
  2. It's summer and people don't want to spend as much time online. I get that! My compromise is to take the laptop outside. ☺ We are fortunate to have a nice backyard with a deck and an electrical outlet.

    The close result seems appropriate, as both covers were good. Too bad I was on the losing side!

    P.S. Looking forward to the Warren Zevon battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~

      Where I live, in Northern Nevada, Summer is actually a time when I prefer to be indoors because "the heat is hot" (as America sang in the song 'A Horse With No Name').

      Summer is too hot to do the things I enjoy, like hiking and biking. And Winter is too cold to do the things I enjoy, like hiking and biking. But I get to do those things during the 6 weeks of Spring and 6 weeks of Autumn.

      I've got a couple of Zevon zongs to use. I haven't yet decided if I will put him up against someone else, or pit Zevon against Zevon.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. We get some super hot and humid days too, but I actually don't mind those. Helps my arthritis. Not much into hiking and biking, though. Much lazier than you. ☺ Ooh! Zevon vs Zevon would be truly interesting.

      Delete
    3. DEBBIE D' ~

      It's usually a very, very dry heat where I live. But I still don't think it helps my own arthritis in the lower back. (I fondly reminisce about the years when I didn't even know what arthritis was. Nor allergies... nor joint pain, nor memory loss, and memory loss!)

      OK, your Rock wish is my command! I'll do Zevon verzus Zevon on July 15th. (I've already got a July 1st BOTB extravaganza planned.)
      Zevon is gonna wipe out Zevon in this 7-15 Battle. But it WON'T be a shutout because... I'll be voting for the underdog Zevon.

      ~ Stephen-Boy

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.