.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Sunday, February 1, 2015

'BATTLE OF THE BANDS: 2015, FEB. 1' (Or, 'STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN VS. GARY MOORE')

.
Republican Vs. Democrat, Male Vs. Female, War Vs. Peace, Light Vs. Dark, Good Vs. Evil, Man Vs. Machine, Love Vs. Hate, Dog Vs. Cat, Sun Vs. Moon, Brain Vs. Brawn, Oscar Vs. Grammy, Angel Vs. Demon, Laurel Vs. Hardy, Beer Vs. Wine, TV Vs. Radio, Pitcher Vs. Batter, Paper Vs. Plastic, Reality Vs. Fantasy, Yeshua Vs. Beelzebub, Conservative Vs. Liberal, You Vs. Me, House Vs. Senate, Offense Vs. Defense, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Spy Vs. Spy, Fischer Vs. Spassky, W.C. Fields Vs. Sobriety, Harold Gimpy, Jr. Vs. Sheldon J. Pismire, Rock Vs. Paper Vs. Scissors, Islam Vs. Everything, Singer Vs. Singer, Band Vs. Band...
.
THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (‘BOTB’)
.
.
Shoop-Shooby –
Shooby-duh-Dooby-Doop-Dooby-Dooby-Doo-Wah –
Buh-Doo-Wah!
.
Yes, it’s time once again for ‘Battle Of The Bands’ (‘BOTB’)
.
Alright, let’s get on it...
.
EUGENE  MARTONE  VS.  JACK  BUTLER
.
[NOTE: I am going to be out-of-state, looking for a new place to live while this voting is going on. I won't be able to respond to your comments but I will TRY to make it to everyone's BOTBs... somehow. I'll not be returning home here until 4 days before the next BOTB installment goes up (2/15/2015). My Comment Section is open, so you can post your votes through Feb. 7th. When I return, I will tally up the votes that were placed PRIOR TO FEB. 8th and announce the winner. Any votes submitted after the 7th will not be counted. Today's electric guitar extraordinaire is a reward to all of you who suffered through my two previous "TWISTED BOTB" installments.]

Today's "Battle" is between two dead Blues-Rock electric guitarists. If you're a fan of Blues-Rock then you damn sure know who Stevie Ray Vaughn was, because he was a GIANT in this genre of music. Here's what Wackypedia sez 'bout 'im:

Stevie Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990), was an American musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer. In spite of a short-lived mainstream career spanning seven years, he is widely considered one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of blues music, and one of the most important figures in the revival of blues in the 1980s. AllMusic describes him as "a rocking powerhouse of a guitarist who gave blues a burst of momentum in the '80s, with influence still felt long after his tragic death." ...

Vaughan received several music awards during his lifetime and posthumously. In 1983, readers of Guitar Player voted him as Best New Talent and Best Electric Blues Guitar Player. In 1984, the Blues Foundation named him Entertainer of the Year and Blues Instrumentalist of the Year, and in 1987 Performance Magazine honored him with Rhythm and Blues Act of the Year. Earning six Grammy Awards and ten Austin Music Awards, he was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2000 and the Musicians Hall of Fame in 2014. Rolling Stone ranked Vaughan as the twelfth greatest guitarist of all time.

OK, let's hear Vaughan playing a classic Blues recorded live at Carnegie Hall.

'THE SKY IS CRYING' - STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-21IdntMQo
.
GODZILLA  VS.  KING  KONG
.
Gary Moore (4 April 1952 – 6 February 2011), was a Northern Irish musician, most widely recognised as a singer and virtuoso guitarist. In a career dating back to the 1960s, Moore played with musicians including Phil Lynott and Brian Downey during his teens, leading him to memberships with the Irish bands Skid Row and Thin Lizzy, and British Band Colosseum II. Moore shared the stage with such blues and rock musicians as B.B. King, Albert King, Albert Collins, George Harrison, and Greg Lake, as well as having a successful solo career. He guested on a number of albums recorded by high-profile musicians. ...

Aiming to become a musician, he moved to Dublin at the age of 16. Moore's greatest influence in the early days was guitarist Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac who was a mentor to Moore when performing in Dublin. Green's continued influence on Moore was later repaid as a tribute to Green on his 1995 album Blues for Greeny, an album consisting entirely of Green compositions. On this tribute album, Moore played Green's 1959 Les Paul Standard guitar which Green had lent to Moore after leaving Fleetwood Mac. Moore ultimately purchased the guitar, at Green's request, so that "it would have a good home".

After becoming a close friend of Blues legend Albert King, Gary Moore's music became particularly drenched in the Blues and nearly nightly he played a tribute to his friend titled 'King Of The Blues'. That song kicks butt!

So let's hear Gary playing the same song Stevie Ray Vaughn did. This comes from his live album 'Blues Alive'.

'THE SKY IS CRYING' - GARY MOORE


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oyeaQ7KTqc
.
RIDDLER  VS.  BATMAN
.
Alright now, “you know the gig”... I welcome EVERYONE to vote for their favorite of these songs in the comment section below. And feel free to tell us WHY you chose one song over the other. 
.
After voting here, I suggest - actually I insist - you pop over to the blogs of the other 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' participants to see which songs they have chosen and vote there also. (If their ‘BOTB’ blog bits aren’t posted yet, pour yourself two shots of ‘Grand Marnier’ over ice – do it twice – and then return to their blogs to vice your voice ...vote your vice ...voice your vote.)
.
Voice Your Vote @ ‘FAR AWAY SERIES’ by clicking HERE.
@ ‘TOSSING IT OUT’ by clicking HERE.
@ ‘YOUR DAILY DOSE’ by clicking HERE.
@ ‘DISCCONNECTED’ by clicking HERE.
@ 'BOOK LOVER' by clicking HERE.
@ 'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS' by clicking HERE.
@ 'CURIOUS AS A CATHY' by clicking HERE.
@ 'THE SOUND OF ONE HAND TYPING' by clicking HERE.
@ 'DCRELIEF - BATTLE OF THE BANDS' by clicking HERE.
@ 'THIS BELLE ROCKS' by clicking HERE.
@ 'ALEX CAVANAUGH' (when BOTB falls on a Mon., Wed., or Fri.) by clicking HERE.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

26 comments:

  1. Please don't take me wrong on what I'm going to say here because it's nothing to do with your choices and all just a matter of personal preference.

    Both these players are incredible and they have top notch bands behind them. One version is just as amazing as the other and I can appreciate everything about the delivery of either one.

    But--I'm not a big fan of this kind of blues style. For me it's a bit pretentious and as often is the case with these performances. It's the type of music of which I do own a number of albums and on the right occasions I might listen to and enjoy it, but typically I don't listen to it. To say I enjoy hearing it when I do listen might be the wrong way to say it--maybe it's more an issue of admiration of great musicianship. The songs themselves (as with many blues songs) are songs that I find somewhat so-so, but I think that's what allow for the instrumental showcasing.

    That being said, this is a very difficult choice as there is a lot of similarity in what is delivered in both of these versions, while each has its own unique quality.

    The Moore version seems to be more nuanced in a lot of spots with a bolder vocal line. I thought Vaughan had a few more clever licks in his playing and I preferred his vocal style. But in the end these versions probably balance each other out in my opinion.

    So giving the vote of my preference I'm going with Stevie Ray Vaughan.

    No guess who will win on this one since it's so close. This was a tough Battle that could come close to being a draw.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn right I'm a blues-rock fan! So much so that I'm almost unable to decide on a winner. To me, there is NO clear winner, but I'm giving my vote to Stevie Ray just because I prefer his slower, rawer sound. And just because I love Stevie Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ain't nothing like screaming - crying, full tilt, kiss my toes blues - guitars! For me, it's all about that pitch, key, whatever you call it... cause I'm lost on technical terminology. Both of those babies are making me weep fo' Mama.

    Voice-wise - I don't need any distractions. I'm air-guitar-jamming! My itty bitty sound system is cranked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops- got so excited I forgot to add my vote!


    I love you Stevie, (RIP) but...My vote goes to Gary Moore. Great Battle, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are 2 greats and it is like apples or oranges. I love both but I lean to Gary Moore. I am shocked because I love Stevie Ray Vaughan but I love the almost silent parts in the middle of Moore's version and I love his voice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seahawkboyganboy SixFebruary 1, 2015 at 1:51 PM

    This was a great BOTB in a music style I am fond of. Oddly, I was not very familiar with Moore, so listening to him was a treat. Others mentioned enjoying the silent parts inhabiting the middle of the Moore's version... but I didn't like those parts, so I liked SVR's version a little better. Stevie gets the vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved loved both. Just amazing. I never enjoyed Stevie's voice, but he sure can plan guitar. Don't mind listening to Gary though.

    Gary gets my vote, liked his playing just a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like me some ‘blues guitar’.

    Stevie Ray Vaughn is good, I guess. I mean that’s what everyone says. Can’t say that I don’t enjoy some of his stuff, but I can’t help feel that he leans just a little bit closer to ‘rock’, and that kind of takes the bluesy feel away, at least for me.

    Now Gary Moore…whoo wee! This guy is smokin’. I love his stuff. Listening to this piece ‘The Sky is Crying’, I hear his guitar weeping, him weeping, and I have to say I’m almost uncomfortable with all the emotion oozing out of this piece.

    Almost, but not quite. Gary and his version give that blue hazy feel of the small jazz club. You know, the one that’s actually too small for all this sound and emotion, but all the same you can’t help swayin’ in your seat as your eardrums are just about pulsing outta your head.

    His version sounds deeper and richer than the SRV version (both the guitar and his voice) and it leaves me screamin’ ‘Gimme me Moore, gimme Moore, Oh, Baby, gimme Moore!

    Excellent BATTLE Mr. BOTB. You can just keep these kinds a comin’.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Quick Note To Everyone Who Has Voted So Far:

    Thanks for coming by, listening, explaining, and voting.

    I'll tell you right NOW that I am pleased and relieved by the voting up to this point because, honestly, I had some real concern that this might be my very first BOTB shutout. Obviously that concern has been quickly put to rest.

    As far as I'm concerned - although both versions are similar in their approach (these are electric guitar extravaganzas) - one version, in my opinion, is clearly head and shoulders better'n the other. To me, this is really "no contest", but apparently to you all so far, it IS a close contest. That eases my mind, as I've gotten through yet another BOTB installment without a shutout.

    Not sure if I'll get a chance to comment here again, but thanks to everyone who has voted so far and who will vote in the days ahead.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading the comments I do understand what Arlee was saying. This battle is up my alley and I do enjoy the blues rock guitar jams. Stevie and Gary is a great match up. My vote goes for Stevie. Just for fun I listened to Elmore James version funny how both of these versions are at least twice as long. Great battle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe I'm saying this - I actually had a prejudice in this battle. But I'm doing a turnaround from my preconceived notion that I'd like SRV better.

    I'm voting MOORE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was torn, so I went back for a second listen. I found Gary Moore's version slightly better than Stevie Ray Vaughan's. I can't wait to find out why you thought there was no contest! Good luck finding a new place, Stephen!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great duel off between Vaughn & Moore. Nice electric guitar playing by both. For this BOTB, I prefer Moore to Vaughn. I think I liked that Moore added vocals to the arrangement, and the over all sound of instruments seemed more harmonious to my ear. I'm, but a simple gal who likes what she hears despite the technicalities that go into making a track. So, Moore gets my vote! Good luck with the search for new living quarters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Battle of the Bands has been very interesting to me on several levels. First, I thought I pretty much loved all music. Turns out I don't. Second, there is a lot of music out there I like a lot more than I thought I would. Third, I've discovered that screaming guitars just aren't my thing. Doesn't seem to matter if it's rock or blues or any genre. I just don't love it. Now, there are some cases in which I find it more appealing than others. This kind of music would never just be my Chill Out and Relax sort of music. Mostly because I don't find it chillin' or relaxin'. Unless I was several beers down... then, I might think differently about it. I don't know.

    Anyway, SRV fans will want to smack me, but I couldn't even make it through that one. When it got to the screamin' guitar solo at approx. the 3 minute mark I turned it off. I thought to myself, "Self, you've got to like the Moore version better than this... since you don't like this at all."

    Turns out, yep, I did like the Moore version better. I started typing this comment about halfway through, knowing there was NOTHING he could do to this song to make me dislike it more than what I'd already heard. Turns out, I like the vocals better, the guitar better. First, it doesn't scream all the time. There were several solos that felt weepy and not screamy, which was a very good thing since the song is about a crying sky.

    So this vote goes easily and handily to Moore. (I read your comment that the winner was clear for you, too. Now I'm wondering if we both think Moore's the man or if I've just disappointed you with my lack of musical taste. Either way, I'm not changing my mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and I meant to comment on your scouting out new digs. I hope that turns out even better than you were hoping and you find a place you love. This will be good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They both sound similar, so I'm going with the one with the best tone. And to me, that's Gary Moore's Les Paul over Stevie Ray Vaughn's Stratocaster.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well this is one of those BOTB's where both deserve to win. I greatly respect and admire the talent soulfulness and chops of both these great guitarists.

    But here's a weird little factoid: I own every CD that SRV put out. There is no Gary Moore in my CD collection.

    I'm not quite sure why. I mean, every time I hear some Gary Moore, I'm impressed with his playing ability. The man can really play the blues. He's got chops galore and is a very expressive, soulful player. On his version, I like the bigger instrumentation -- the horns add a lot to the song. And he's got a lot to really like in his rendition -- I can't fault anyone for voting for it.

    But Stevie Ray -- man, just one bend and some of that wicked, expressive vibrato and I can feel the hair on the back of my neck rise. The smooth way he shifts from single-note lines to chord snippets. The sheer deep-felt soul I feel in every note.

    I dunno -- maybe some of it is a guitar tone thing -- Stevie was a Strat player and Gary plays the Les Paul. I've ALWAYS been a Strat guy. The twang of those single-coil pickups come biting through and it just gives a bit of edge to every note.

    So Stevie Ray for me by a mile, but I recognize that's a lot of personal taste. I can fully understand why someone else might be adamant about Gary Moore.

    Fun battle!!!

    Also -- Best of luck to you on the search!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, my thanks to all ya Peeps who voted 'n' commented 'n' kept this from being a shut-out (which, frankly, it probably deserved to be).

    Heading toward Reno tomorrow. Gonna shoot a man just to watch him die. Gonna wear all black when I do it, too!

    And my thanks also for all the good wishes. I'll need 'em, I'm sure.

    ~ Johnny D-FensDogg Cash

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I once shot a man just to watch him die... but then I got distracted and missed it. Oh, my friends tried to describe it to me, but it just isn't the same." - The Kids in the Hall

    My cohort is a die-hard SRV fan, so he voted for him pretty easily. I, on the other hand, had a bit of struggle. I loved both. But, ultimately, I liked Gary Moore's just a little bit more. I'll say the blunt version of what Arlee was getting at... it was a lot of musical masturbation. SRV's more so. For me, Moore's was a little more on the music-side than the masturbation-side, which I enjoyed (just a hair more) than SRV's.

    ~6B

    ReplyDelete
  20. StMcC - I just learned that Gary Moore played lead guitar on a Traveling Wilburys song: "She's My Baby." I thought it was cool; the Wilburys are a strong favorite of mine. Did you know (or do you even care)? I think it is interesting that they asked him to do it, even though Harrison, Petty, Dylan and Lynne are pretty decent guitarists.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ATTENTION PEOPLES!
    If you are interested in seeing the final vote tally for this 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' installment and my closing thoughts on it, please click (Link:->) HERE.

    Or you can put the following URL into your browser:

    http://stmccpresentsbattleofthebands.blogspot.com/2015/02/post-beer-run-botb-results.html

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both great versions, both great guitarists, but I slightly prefer Gary's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I felt and voted the same way. And I'm happy to report that Gary won this Battle.

      You wouldn't by chance be related to the Iggie Kanes of Manchester, would you?

      Feel free to vote on my current Battle. (Just click on the blog header to get there.) Voting is open until Thursday.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  23. I believe Gary Moore was a much more polished and sophisticated player than SRV and performed great concerts. That being said, SRV was a ferocious physical player and beat the crap out of his Strat when he performed. When SRV was hitting on all cylinders, Moore couldn't touch him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANON ~
      Both were tremendous players, no question about it. (Although neither of them could touch Danny Gatton who was, quite simply, the best I've ever heard, bar none.)

      I own SRV's two Austin City Limits performances ('83 and '89) on DVD and enjoy watching them every once in awhile when I need some (virtual) live Blues.

      Hey, feel free to vote on my current 'Battle Of The Bands' installment which can be found here...

      http://stmccpresentsbattleofthebands.blogspot.com/2018/08/2018-august-1-battle-of-bands-or-bobbie.html

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

      Delete
  24. Stevie is an Amazing Guitarist but Gary Moore had a profession in multiple genres while stevie had blues and jazz. My Vote goes to my Idol GARY MOORE

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.