.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, June 21, 2019

2019, JUNE 15: BOTB RESULTS (Or, NINA SIMONE VERSUS MAHALIA JACKSON)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, June 15th: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Nina Simone Versus Mahalia Jackson - And The Final Tally:
.
.
My most recent Battle Of The Bands (BOTB) contest was a premature (most guys are like that) 6th Anniversary celebration which took place HERE. It was Nina Simone's 'Summertime' (FAE's first BOTB winner from July 10, 2013) versus a Mahalia Jackson rendition, and FAE herself showed up to cast a vote for Mahalia.
.
The contest was a blowout, as I was sure it would be. I think Mahalia Jackson was probably the greatest singer of all time, so my vote (or bote) also went to her. But, thankfully, a couple persons saved me from a shutout:
.
Nina Simone = 2 votes
.
Mahalia Jackson = 15 votes
.
And, hey, whaddaya know?...
.
.
Even our resident psychic, Sikike Phteven (1-2), guessed right this time! Every dog has its day, and even a broken squirrel finds a blind clock twice every 24 hours. (Hmmm.... Somehow that didn't seem to come out quite right.)
.
I thank each and every one of you who showed up to celebrate BOTB's 6th Birthday with me!
.
In this last Battle, I used Mahalia's 'Summertime' / 'Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child' medley, because the only other rendition I could find at YouTube - which was 2:40 of just 'Summertime' - showed "The Queen Of Gospel" singing the song live, and I felt sure I'd be begging for a shutout if I utilized that video. But for your enjoyment, here it is:
.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4qwSzQXYo

.
Thanks again for being here, All Y'all. And I'll be back with a new Battle on July 1st. See ya then!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

10 comments:

  1. Poor Nina. I guess she just needed to learn to sing better. I'm not surprised with this outcome, but it was a good Battle.


    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      Nina was an original, but I don't think this version of 'Summertime' was the best showcase for her voice. Primarily because of the long instrumental introduction before Nina was brought into it. And then the piano seemed mixed too high, that she was a bit overwhelmed by the music.

      But I liked the concept of taking BOTB back to its original roots.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. Mahalia is and will always be a tough act to beat...but wow! Great pairing of icons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DOC. Glad you liked it.
      Yes, Mahalia was not just talented but had a rather extraordinary gift from God. I think she was born to be a Gospel singer in the same way Don Knotts was born to play Barney Fife and Carroll O'Connor was born to play Archie Bunker.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. I think the result was a given, since Nina's recording was such poor quality. And yes, the long intro didn't help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd have liked to have found a different recording of the song by Nina, but I'm not sure one exists. Certainly not at YouTube one doesn't.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. They there Stephen!

    There was a time when I was doing research on Nina because I had heard all these great and wonderful things about her. I watched a documentary about her life on Netflix (don't recall the name of it) and had to shut it off half way through because her voice was grating on my nerves. Ever since then, I've had a difficult time liking her singing.

    Mahalia did a great job with this song. Looking forward to seeing what you pull out of your hat for July 1.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMQE ~
      Nina was an original, but if one can't stand the vocal characteristics, then that doesn't matter.

      I think Nina mined the same sort of songs and style that Billie Holiday did, and for my money, Billie was the better of the two. Therefore, I've never owned any of Nina's recordings but there is a little Holiday in my collection.

      Mahalia, on the other hand, was incredibly gifted and thus there is LOTS of Mahalia in my collection.

      See ya on the 1st, or thereabouts.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. Mahalia Jackson and Nina Simone is a worthy debate. As someone once said, "the torch has been passed to a new generation."... Hold on let me get my Bartlett's... JFK who mastered television. I wish he has been alive to see MTV. Signifying renewal. I don't care who he would have cited. I would vote for Kylie Minogue's Loco-motion. A new frontier, by cracky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRUHTHUH G-DOGG ~
      Thanks for stopping by. Wherever you go, JFK is sure to follow.

      MTV -- one cannot say or write those letters in that order widout me immediately thinking of Mickey's Big Mouth 40-ounce "buzz bombs". From 1981-1985, I pretty much lived on those, and on Ramona's frozen Chili Relleno burritos. (I did, however, have enough patience to let the burritos thaw out first, before consuming them.)

      >>... I would vote for Kylie Minogue's Loco-motion.

      And I would forgive you and love you just the same (John Wayne! John Wayne!), by cracky. I would never permit a blonde chick to come between us and ruin our bromance. ;^)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.