.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, June 7, 2019

BOTB RESULTS: 2019, JUNE 1 (Or, BRIAN SETZER VERSUS BRIAN SETZER)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2019, June 1st: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, The Stray Cats Versus The Brian Setzer Orchestra - And The Final Tally:
.
.
Dogged if The Stray Cats didn't win! It wasn't one of my better Battles, but the comment section was fun and I appreciate all of you who took the time to listen and vote (aka bote).
.
The song was 'Rock This Town' and the Battle was between Brian Setzer's 'Stray Cats' and Brian Setzer's Orchestra. It took place [link> HERE.
.
The Orchestra got the very first vote. It also got the very last vote (mine). And those are the ONLY votes it got!
.
'Rock This Town' was a Top Ten hit for The Stray Cats in 1982, and I liked the song so much that I went out and bought the album. Setzer covered the song with his Orchestra in 1998, and I liked the cover so much that I went out and bought that album, too! Obviously, I like this song. However, I like the Big Band version just a smidgen more because on rare occasions, less isn't really more.
.
.
The Stray Cats = 15 votes
.
Brian Setzer Orchestra = 2 votes
.
.
STMcC: What the hell happened to you? You guaranteed a win for Brian Setzer's Orchestra!
.
Sikike Phteven: You didn't tell me that people won't vote for a cover over an original hit.
.
STMcC: I shouldn't have to tell you anything. As a psychic, you're supposed to have supernatural prescience.
.
Sikike Phteven: I never said I was psychic. I said I was sikike. Stop mislabeling me! .....My next one will be better.
.
My friends, the "next one" will be a special anniversary edition of BOTB on June 15th, and I hope all y'all will return for that one. See ya then!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

10 comments:

  1. I was surprised the orchestra version only got two votes! I liked it too, just not quite as much as the original. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~
      BOTB has been, is, and probably always will be full o' surprises. One just never really knows. Which, I guess, is why we continue with it.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. There really were similarities between our battles! Some of these outcomes are just kind of unexpected I think.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      Yip! I sed it before, and I sez it again: Every time I start thinking I've got BOTB all figgered out, it throws a monkey wrench into my noggin.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. McBro,

    Regardless of the score/votes, the battle of Seltzer vs Seltzer was still a Stroke Of Genius (that's also free advertising for me as it's what I'm calling the artificial insemination clinic for Mensa members that I'm planning). The Stray Cats are like Starsky taking the lead with Hutch and Huggy Bear as backup. The orchestra is like a whole Hill Street Blues precinct backup. Both are good because Setzer knows he's not a one man police force dammit!

    I think the Stray Cats won because, like Starsky, Hutch, and a sound engineer cranking up the tire squeal sounds, are more popular and iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, McBRUHTHUH DOGG ~

      >>... a Stroke Of Genius (that's ... what I'm calling the artificial insemination clinic for Mensa members that I'm planning).

      Ha!-Ha! :^D Only you, and you alone. (Genius!)

      I think the Stray Cats won because I didn't put them up against anything that could whup their tails. But... next Battle: Stray Cats versus Three Dog Night. (Gotta do felines versus canines now, right? I mean, how could I not?)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry I foolishly voted for both. If I'd known that the orchestra version would be neglected, that's what I would have voted for. I love the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE JANIE ~
      Well, indeed, it's always preferable to cast a vote what counts. But on the other hand, the difference between 15-2 and 15-3 is so minimal that, well... no harm done.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  5. Stephen,

    Wow, Setzer took a beating, didn't he? Well...I'm still standing by my pick and I know your mama would be glad that I am, too. :)

    I wanted to give you the heads up since we're just a few days out from the next round of BoTB that I'm going to have to sit things out for the summer. I've been increasing becoming more and more overwhelmed. I feel it's best to just step back some until I'm feeling refreshed again. Of course, I said the same thing last year and got sucked back into the circus but I HAVE to stand firm this time. I am only going to keep my Monday's Mewsic Moves Me post running and that's mainly because I co-host that little hop. Please forgive me for the short notice but I will do my best to hit everyone's battles to cast my vote. Have a good day and thanks for sharing the outcome of your last showdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      Yes, Setzer did take a beating.
      But on the other hand, he also delivered a beating.

      I'm sorry to see you leaving for the Summer. (Hey, you ain't in school anymore, and there's no such thing as "Summer Vacation"! :^D

      Well, I for one am hoping that you get sucked back into BOTB before the Summer ends. But, nevertheless, we'll keep your place neat and dusted for whenever you return.

      My friend, I hope to see you around here from time to time. Be well and...

      Bless And Be Blessed.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.