.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Thursday, October 10, 2019

ROCKTOBER MusicFest - 1 (Or, My First 2019 Contribution to MMQE's Annual Blogfest)

.
.
As I sit here drinking a Tervis Tumbler of Cruzan's 'Black Strap Rum' and listening to one of the all-time, ALL-TIME(!!) greatest "Albums To Drink By" ['El Rayo-X' by David Lindley], I am going to tap out something about a great song by a different artist. This is my first contribution to MMQE's 'ROCKTOBER Blogfest' at 'Jingle Jangle Jungle'. Click HERE for more!
.
'BEAUTIFUL VISION' by Van Morrison
.
VAN MORRISON released his album 'BEAUTIFUL VISION' in March of 1982. I loved it! Heck, I loved SO MANY Van-The-Man albums and I owned nearly all of them... until the time he released a song praising "lucifer".
.
(Yes, *THAT* [] lucifer.)
.
And that's when I took a good, long, hard look at the lyrics of Van Morrison songs I'd been listening to for decades and I found a LOT of New Age 'luciferian' stuffs in there. And that's when - like a big, bad, angry dog shaking the dirt off a bone - I began purging away (down to the pure, clean, white bone) my music collection of every Van Morrison album that contained New Age (i.e., 'luciferian') references - many of them being extremely subtle, which only the most informed researchers (like myself) could catch.
.
When the purging was done, only 6 albums remained in my collection, and 'Beautiful Vision' wasn't amongst them. [Technically, I should have also tossed into that same dumpster in Phoenix, Arizona, Van's album 'Hymns To The Silence', but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It's a 21-song double album, and some of those songs are big favorites of mine. I couldn't toss out the whole double album because of only 1 offender. So, I just skip that song when it comes up on my CD player.]
.
.
Pro Tip: At the time of the purge, my very favorite album in the whole history of the world (by anyone at any time!) was Van Morrison's 'Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart'. In fact, that was the very first compact disc I ever owned! I told The Countess (before she became "The Countess"), "I will never start replacing my LPs with compact discs until 'Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart' is available on compact disc!" I figured that would NEVER, EVER happen!
.
Two hours later, The Countess came back and handed me 'Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart' on compact disc. Ha!-Ha! ...UHP! I'M AN IDIOT!! {*In hindsight, I realize that, from that very moment, she was destined to become my girlfriend.*}
.
Sadly, even my 'Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart' CD had to go into that Phoenix dumpster. But I saved the CD's insert as a souvenir of a terrific Countess / Black Cole Kid moment!
.
.
However, I still have Van Morrison's album 'Into The Music', which is now my favorite Morrison album. You should definitely listen to it. Dang! If you don't dig *that* album, there is something seriously sick in yer soul!!
.
.
Alright, back to the subject at hand:
.
One song on the 'Beautiful Vision' album (my old copy which is now lying deep down in an Airheadzona dump somewhere) was 'CLEANING WINDOWS'. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't dig this song! I have even played it for a couple of folks who generally DISLIKE Van's music, and EVEN THEY liked 'Cleaning Windows'. It just might be "the universal song".
.
Wackypedia sez:
.
The version of "Cleaning Windows" that was released as a single and was included on the 1982 album ['Beautiful Vision'] was recorded at the Record Plant Studios in Sausalito, California on 27 July 1981.
.
The biographically based song chronicles a cheerful and nostalgic look back at a carefree time in Morrison's life when he was still a part-time musician, playing saxophone with Clubsound at the weekend. He names his favourite musical artists of the time such as Muddy Waters, Jimmie Rodgers, and Lead Belly, along with author Jack Kerouac and his books 'The Dharma Bums' and 'On the Road', and even Buddhist judge Christmas Humphreys and his "... book on Zen." 
.
According to Steve Turner, in 'Cleaning Windows' "Van sketched the details of his life during 1961 and 1962, and captured the balance between his contentment at work and his aspirations to learn more about music. It conveyed the impression that his happiness with the mundane routine of smoking Woodbine cigarettes, eating Paris buns and drinking lemonade was made possible by the promise that at the end of the day he could enter the world of books and records..."
.
John Milward wrote in a 1982 Rolling Stone review: "Hung on a metaphor as clear as glass, 'Cleaning Windows' applies one night's notions to a lifetime. It's the LP's musical highlight as well, with a guitar-organ combination reminiscent of The Band, and a jumping sax solo to boot".
.
Paul Macinnis with The Guardian wrote: "The message of the song is simple – the window cleaner's happy in his work – and the lyrical vignettes combined with delicate, upbeat R&B (with Mark "That ain't working" Knopfler on guitar) convey that feeling wonderfully."
.
In his descriptions of the songs on Beautiful Vision, Erik Hage wrote that this song is an exception as it is "stuffed with images and remembrances ... and is therefore somewhat anomalous to the rest of the record, which took up more esoteric and spiritual matters."
.
AllMusic's Bill Janovitz, on the other hand, suggests a spiritual reading of the song, with Morrison's literal image of "cleaning windows" doubling as "a metaphor for Zen-like clarity, seeing the essence of life via the repetition of basic chores."
.
"Cleaning Windows" was released as a single in March 1982 but was not promoted as a 45 single by Mercury records and therefore did not chart. Writer Howard A. DeWitt felt that it would have charted "because it generated a response similar to 'Domino' in Van's 1982 concerts". ('Domino' charted at #9 in America in 1970.)
.
Morrison chose "Cleaning Windows" to be one of the songs included on The Best of Van Morrison, his first "Best of" album, which was released in 1990.
.
I have NO DOUBT that 'Cleaning Windows' would have been a huge Top 40 hit in 1982, if Van's record company had the brains of gnat! Like I said, EVERYONE I've ever played this song for has really liked it - even Van-The-Man haters!
.
Van Morrison - vocals
John Allair - organ
Pee Wee Ellis - tenor and baritone saxophones
Mark Isham - trumpet
Mark Knopfler - guitar
Gary Mallaber - drums
Chris Michie - lead guitar
Michele Segan - percussion
Rob Wasserman - bass
.
Pee Wee Ellis -- what a BEAST on the saxophone!! Some of my all-time favorite sax solos were played by Pee Wee! Saxophone: On ballads, give me Ben Webster, every single time; but on rockin', squawkin' songs, I choose Pee Wee Ellis, yesterday, today, and tomorrow!!
.
CLEANING WINDOWS - Van Morrison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAf0Rjfm5s

.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

12 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    I stopped by to leave a link to my BoTB results in your result post when I noticed you're playing along in Mary's RMF. Welcome aboard! :) Gee, I didn't know this about Van Morrison but am not totally surprised to read such stuff on about any entertainer who generally tend to be more out there then the rest of the population. I guess his biggest hit, I'm assuming, 'Brown Eyed Girl' is one of my favorites. I wouldn't say I'm a fan but I do like his style and your song selection while new to me, I did like it. Thanks for sharing it this morning.

    Out of this world rock and funk music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      Yes, I've decided to try to post a few installments to Mary's 'Rocktoberfest' gig. I won't be doing it every day, but as some songs that I think are really good and too obscure occur to me, I will try to write up something about them and present them here on this blog.

      Technically, I believe 'Domino' was Van's biggest hit, according to Billboard. But I'll bet 'Brown-Eyed Girl' gets played far more often on radio stations today.

      I believe Van has always been religiously / spiritually confused. I don't think he's consciously an agent for "the ruler of this world", but I think he tends to let the wind blow his beliefs all over the place. Meaning that he really has NO firm spiritual / religious convictions at all.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  2. Nothing like good sax! And, Mark Knopfler on guitar. Cool! ☺ Interesting to read about your Van Morrison saga, Stephen. Too bad you had to toss all those albums. Glad you kept some of them, at least. Van Morrison is a musical icon, but I admit, I was never more than a casual fan. (Meaning, I don't own any of his music nor have I seen him in concert.) Ill be joining Mary's Rockfest tomorrow. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~
      Yeah, I love too much of Van's music, and I just *HAD* to save what I felt I could. But I didn't want to be listening to a bunch of spiritual references that I strongly oppose (and disbelieve).

      Let me think of a few really fantastic Pee Wee Ellis sax solos on Van songs, and I'll point you in their directions. And I will certainly be checking out your Roctoberfest post tomorrow.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  3. To be honest, I never gave Van's religious beliefs much thought. I do know he wrote and sang one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You," and I always felt that his saxophone playing was underrated. This is a great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOHN ~
      Glad you dug this song! I never tire of hearing it. And apparently he's still playing it live at his concerts where it gets a great reception from the audience.

      Van has openly stated he's a Christian. Unfortunately, he's also been a dabbler in all kinds of New Age beliefs including some that hold lucifer in high regard (e.g., Theosophy and similar spiritual "new thought" ideas).

      As much as I really love so much of Van's music, when a person begins singing about how lucifer was / is simply misunderstood, that is a bridge WAY TOO FAR for me! That's when I gotta start digging deeper and "exorcise" the darkness that has crept into many of the lyrics.

      Still, I have 6 albums of Van music that escaped my intensive investigation, and I still enjoy listening to those half dozen survivors.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  4. As you know, I am a big fan of Van. In fact, I don't know why we have not listed him as one of our few overlaps like Petty and The Dip.

    I don't pay close attention to details you often catch, like his new age dabblings. And even so, I probably would dismiss them for the most part in much the same way I give virtually ALL musicians a pass for their stupid political leanings.

    I loved "Beautiful Vision" when it came out, and still have the album. Cleaning windows is indeed a universal song. I'm sure glad that Willie Nelson didn't sing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm pleased as spiked punch to find you here, MR. McITCHYFINGER!

      I guess I forgotted that you were a Van-The-Man fan. But, heck, anyone who owns the 'Beautiful Vision' album is a true fan, because that's one of those more obscure Morrison albums from the past that didn't yield any hits, and it came at a time when he was deeply into writing stuffs with spiritual themes.

      I *am* able to give *some* musicians a pass on their retarded political leanings... provided I enjoy their music enough and provided the lean ain't too extreme. Commie Bruce? Nyet!! Dylan? Well, Dylan was always about as politically confused as Van Morrison has been spiritually confused. But... Dylan... mang... 'It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)'... Dylan ain't getting das boot from my music collection while I'm still breathing.

      I've got more Van-The-Man coming tomorrow morning (or late tonight), so stay tuned, McBrother! Don't touch that dial!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  5. Hey! Hey! Look who is finally here to comment :) (explanation for my lateness is in response to your comment on my blog post)

    Like the others, I never really got on the Van wagon. Not that I was a hater, he just didn't float my boat enough to get it in the water (alright, it might have sailed in the bath for Brown Eyed Girl... but that's about it)

    Anyway, I'm so happy that you've decided to join in from time to time in my annual Rocktober MusicFest. So far the 'fest has been quite successful (in my opinion) and I've heard some great music - some that I never would have thought about on my own. And making notes already for next year :)

    Can't wait to see what you pull out of your pocket (or wherever you keep it) for the next post.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMQE ~

      10:56 PM? Hokey-Smoke! I'd already been in bed for 12 minutes by then. (Yes, I'm very much a details-oriented kind of guy, who actually keeps track of when he goes to bed, right down to the very minute. "Mr. Excitement", they call me!)

      I've always liked 'Brown-Eyed Girl', but it wouldn't make my list of Top 50 Van Morrison Songs. (Wish I could remember where I left that list!) And I think that by the one hundred and first godzillionth time I heard it on the radio, I was pretty done with 'Brown-Eyed Girl' and ready to move on to a Blue-Eyed Girl.

      Maybe by the time I get finished with my contributions to your Rocktober FusicMest you might like Van more than you previously did. Because I'm actually going to post more from him:

      At first, I had no plan and no theme for this thang, and I was just tossing around some song ideas in my head. Songs by various artists with no rhyme or reason for posting them other than that I like them a lot and they are relatively unknown.

      But with this Van song I used to begin my participation, a theme finally developed in my noggin. So, yes, more Van coming soon, and that will naturally, organically transition into another artist / Band.

      I hope to post another Rocktober FusicMest blog bit tonight or bright and early tomorrow.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  6. I still have all of my Van Morrison cassettes and CDs and though I rarely listen to them, I still enjoy the music when I do listen. Since I typically don't pay much attention to lyrics, I haven't noted anything offensive to me to any degree. If I were going to purge my collection based on objectionable lyrical content I'd probably be getting rid of a lot of stuff.

    Actually if I could I'd give all that music back if I could get all the money I spent in return. I'd do it even if I could get half. I just don't listen to music to the same extent that I used to.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~
      Like you, I don't listen to music nearly as much as I used to, but I still listen a fairly good amount of the time. Especially while drinking my morning coffees.

      You having (or having had) writing aspirations, it always surprises me when you say you don't really pay much attention to song lyrics. Although I like instrumentals as much as I do songs, the lyrics of songs are a big draw for me. Of course, the majority of songs don't contain exceptional lyrics - there's a lot of that "I can't live without you, la-la-la" slop. But when the lyrics contain genuine quality, they usually impress themselves upon my mind.

      With the exception of Van's song in which he tells us lucifer isn't such a bad guy - just misunderstood - most of the lyrics I object to are cloaked. One needs to really understand "New Age" theology and its terminology in order to catch what he's implying. For me, knowing it's there, I really don't want to hear it and risk have it seeping into my subconscious by repeated listening. It can be like a negative mantra.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.