.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Friday, February 7, 2020

BOTB RESULTS: 2020, FEB. 1st (Or, TONI VERSUS BRUCE VERSUS WES)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2020, February 1st: BATTLE OF THE BANDS' (BOTB) - Or, TONI FISHER Versus BRUCE BLACKMAN Versus WES MONTGOMERYAnd The Final Tally:
.
.
DogGs & DogGettes ~
.
The "anti-Valentine's Day" song was 'THE BIG HURT' and the Battle took place HERE. It started out looking like it might be a nail-biter, because after the first 6 votes were in, all three of the contestants had two votes apiece. But then Miss Toni Fisher (whose original recording of the song was a big hit in 1959) began to pull away from the competition.
.
Still, it was a pretty decent Battle. Initially, I expected Bruce Blackman would likely win but, in fact, he got the least number of votes of the three contestants.
.
Of the three artists, Toni Fisher certainly brought the greatest sense of "hurt" (or "Ouch-eth") to the song, but for me, personally, the Battle was strictly between Blackman and Wes Montgomery. See, I wasn't at all impressed by the lyrics. (I could scrawl something at least that good on a cocktail napkin before I was even halfway done with my first Mojito.) Therefore, to me, the real attraction of the song is its melody and instrumentation. I really liked the cool sophistication that Bruce Blackman brought to the table with his very pleasing voice. And, naturally, I dig the extraordinary six-string magic that Wes displayed. Man, did that guy know his way around a fretboard!! He had such a delicate touch and made his intricate playing sound so effortless! Plus, I really love the added layer of depth that was provided by the violins and cellos in the arrangement.
.
It was a tough call for me, but Wes barely edged out Bruce to get my vote. However, nuttin' could stop Toni Fisher from snagging First Place:
.
Toni Fisher = 9 votes
.
Bruce Blackman = 3 votes
.
Wes Montgomery = 4 votes
.
My sincere thanks to all y'all for playing along by listening and voting! I couldn't-a done it without ya!
.
I will be back here again on March 1st with yet another edition of Battle Of The Bands. And I hope you will be back here then, too! Thanks, BOTB boters!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

12 comments:

  1. The original is so well-known and has such a unique sound that naturally it's going to grab the most votes. I'd have left Toni's version out and had it Bruce vs. Wes. But that's neither here nor there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOHN ~
      I learned a long time ago not to use big hits by the original artists against covers in BOTB. I've seen enough situations where I felt the cover was OBJECTIVELY better'n the original, but too many people just can't get past the 'Familiarity Factor' and imagine that they are hearing the two recordings for the very first time.

      However, I don't feel that was the case this time. I've heard tons 'n' tons of oldies and never heard Toni's original of 'The Big Hurt' until you mentioned it. And I think of my voters in this round, that you and Lee may have been the only two who had even heard Toni's recording before. It seems to have been one of those mostly long-forgotten big hits from the past.

      Therefore, I really don't think 'Familiarity Factor' played any appreciable part in this outcome. Toni won it fair and square (much to my surprise, as I thought Bruce would take this Battle with relative ease).

      Plus, I really liked the female / male / instrumentalist concept of this contest.

      I haven't quite settled on my March 1st Battle yet, but I'm thinking it's time for another edition of 'The Battle For Los Angeles'.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. And Stephen,

    Sorry, I missed the battle. I was taking a photo class and all of a sudden it was the 10th. I am sure this is not the worst disappointment you have suffered on my behalf. What with the non-drinkin and all.
    JW,
    Pooh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, POOH, no worries, muh bruhthuh!

      I was a-feared that maybe you wuz in a Mexican jail. And I'm just relieved to learn that wuzn't the case. I wouldn't wish that on anyone... except Nappy. ;-)

      (That was the LAST time he ever argued with me in Mexico! I had to show him a lesson, and he duhn lernt it! The sonuvabitch! ...Oh, wait...)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephen; I'm going to have to agree with what John said. I know Toni Fisher's version well and had not heard the other two before. Wes did a nice job, but I preferred vocals to instrumental. Bruce seemed a little bland to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~
      That's phunny because I had never heard Toni's version until recently, and she was a distant third for me when it came to voting. Not that I disliked her recording but... well, I definitely would have voted for her if Bruce and Wes weren't options. ;^)

      'Different Ears' is what has kept BOTB interesting for over 6 years. And I NEVER*, EVER* care who wins.
      [* Except when sloppy Peter Green beats The Rockets, and ZZ Top beats Bocephus, who kicked their arses from Texas to Tennessee and back again. Ha!-Ha!]

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  4. The content of the lyrics didn't really catch my attention. I liked the delivery of the words by the singer. I'm glad to see that I wasn't alone in the way I received the song.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      Despite all the years that you've stated it, I'm still always surprised when you say that the lyrics of a song (or songs) don't really register with you.

      As a person who loves to read and has had ambitions of being a professional writer, I would think that the lyrics of a song would be something you would really tune into and focus on.

      Until I discovered Jazz and the joy of instrumentals, I always considered lyrics to be at least as important as a song's melody. And when it comes to non-Jazz recordings, I *still* feel that way.

      In my opinion, there hasn't really been a whole lot of truly exceptional lyricists, so when I do occasionally encounter one, I'm always extremely impressed. Guys like Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Todd Snider, Jim Croce, Van Morrison, and a song like 'The Last Chance Texaco' by Rickie Lee Jones -- when I come across stuffs like that, I tip my Stetson with great respect.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. Stephen,

    I'm disappointed that Bruce didn't win and even came in last with the vote count. I was pulled between him and Wes. I thought I'd listen to Wes' cover while I type and am really digging his rendition. It's all a mood came when you think about. One style/artist will sway you more depending on how you feel initially. Thanks for sharing the outcome of your showdown. I'll see you on Saturday and here's my last BoTB results post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CATHY ~
      I really loved Bruce's recording. I kinda went back and forth for awhile trying to decide whether I'd vote for him or Wes, and I'd have felt satisfied either way.

      I like Toni's original, too. But just not as much.

      I will be by to check out your Results post, my friend.

      In case you might be interested, below is a link to a review I wrote years ago at Amazon.scum for the Wes Montgomery album that gave us his version of 'The Big Hurt' and his original recording 'Bumpin' On Sunset' :

      [Link> A SOUTH-OF-THE-BORDER SHOT OF WES (Salt Mandatory, Lime Wedge Optional)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  6. TOOOOOOOO-NIIIIII! YAAAASSS!!!

    Can't be beat. It's official. It's binding, like a finely crafted legal document. All naysayers must hush-eth from this day forward.

    Amen. 😁❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip! Looks pretty official to me. I may not like it; I may not agree wid it. But one thing is certain: Ah cain't change it.

      Therefore, I shut-eth muh mouth.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.