.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Sunday, March 8, 2020

BOTB RESULTS: 2020, MARCH 1 (Or, VAN MORRISON VERSUS THIN LIZZY)

.
STMcC’s Vote On '2020, February 1st: Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Van Morrison Versus Thin Lizzy - And The Final Tally:
.
Today, in 2020, the Bay Street sign stolen borrowed in 1981 or '82 is proudly displayed in the window of my Willoughberry house in Northern Nevada.
.
First of all, my sincere thanks to all y'all who took the time to participate in my latest Battle Of The Bands contest! I appreciate each and every one of YOU.
.
The Battle took place HERE, and it consisted of some old League Of Soul Crusaders Saint Patrick's Night drinking stories followed by the songs 'Wild Night' by Van Morrison and 'The Boys Are Back In Town' by Thin Lizzy.
.
.
.
While I did suspect that Thin Lizzy would win, I certainly did NOT anticipate them winning by the blowout margin that they did. For a brief period in 1977-'78, Thin Lizzy was my very favorite band. However, my taste in music having changed so drastically over the years, today I don't care for much of Thin Lizzy's songs. The title track from their 'Bad Reputation' album, and a couple other songs from that same collection is about all the Thin Lizzy that I can still listen to with pleasure. Yip! I don't even care much for their big hit 'The Boys Are Back In Town' anymore.
.
So, my BOTB bote (vote) was easily cast for Van's 'Wild Night', which I still enjoy hearing. But my two cents going to Van didn't do much to help his Irish arse:
.
Van Morrison = 5 votes
.
Thin Lizzy = 12 votes
.
It wasn't much of a "Battle", but it WAS a nice turnout. So, thanks again, Peoples!
.
Phunny thing... As I was seeking out the YouTube videos I needed in order to present this installment of BOTB, apparently Google made the 'Thin Lizzy / Van Morrison' "Irish" connection that I was working on and presented me with the following as a video recommendation in the right-hand sidebar. So, I took the bait and clicked. Here ya go, for anyone who might be interested:
.
A DIVINE APPOINTMENT WITH AN IRISH ATHEIST - Ray Comfort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96bW5KIdcQs


.
I hope you will all return again on April 1st for my special 'April Fool's Day' edition of Battle Of The Bands (suggested by my friend Doc Cherdo).
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
DogGtor of Alcohology & 
King of Inebriation Nation
.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting result.

    I always enjoy Ray Comfort videos. His office headquarters is not far from where I am. Ray Comfort actually bought some fake rubber ears from me when I was managing a costume warehouse. He used them later on some late night talk show as a visual aid to demonstrate something about God's creation. Comfort does a great job of debating issues in a loving manner.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      I've really enjoyed several of Ray Comfort's films - such as...

      '180' (33:03)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI&t=7s

      'Evolution Vs. God' (38:26)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u3-2CGOMQ&t=45s

      'The Atheist Delusion' (1:01:58)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWiZ3iXWwM

      He has done some GREAT work and certainly turned more people toward God and Christ than I have.

      Nevertheless, I have a kind of Love / SMH! attitude toward Ray. It's hard for me to understand how a guy who has been a Christian for 40-something years still only has a very basic Christian 101 understanding.

      He's still out there preaching about a vengeful God and a personality-less Savior. SMH!

      I'd send Ray the book 'BEAUTIFUL OUTLAW' by John Eldredge, but I'm sure he'd close the book as soon as Jesus started to seem human with a sense of humor and wit.

      There are many different types of people, and different types of Christians, and God knows how to use His various believers to reach all the different kinds of unbelievers. So, I have ZERO doubt that Ray Comfort is being used by God to reach those people whom God knows can be touched by Ray's one-trick-pony approach.

      I don't mean to denigrate Mr. Comfort, because I sincerely have a good deal of respect for him. But... I think he'd have a more Spiritually mature Christian understanding if he'd allow The Holy Spirit to teach him beyond that "101" level of understanding.

      I freely admit, though, that Ray's one trick is a really good one!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  2. Van. Van. Van. Van. Van. Van. Van. Van. Van. Add these votes to the original totals please. I truly meant to vote multiple, multiple times to insure Van's place in the line up.

    Also, as a post script: VAN.

    He is the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT!...
      Who? Who? Who dat you say?!

      Was that Dan, Dan, Dan?

      Or Jean-Claude Camille François van Varenberg, known professionally as Jean-Claude van Damme?

      I wish you'd stop mumblin', Doc.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends'

      Delete
    2. V A N

      I understand your confusion. Now fill in the blanks on these two quiz questions to make sure you know the material (this is online school):

      1. ______ is the man.
      2. VAN is the ______.

      Your grade will be posted at the end of the quarter. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I do know it. The meaning of my hidden name is:

    "Phuq-Off-You-POS-Spammer!"

    Did you catch that? Or shall I repeat it for ya?

    ~ Stephen
    DogGtor of Alcohology &
    King of Inebriation Nation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not a spammer. Not only did I enjoy the battle, but your nostalgic stories were a double bonus! Speaking of double bonuses, it was so nice hearing from you again. Thanks for the two-fer, Stephen!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GEM JULIE ~

      I see that guy's spam nonsense EVERYWHERE. But I'll bet I'm the first person he's encountered who in fact DID know the meaning of their hidden name!
      [;-D

      I'm glad you enjoyed my last Battle and the drunken rambling stories that came with it.

      See you again real soon (as Mickey Mouse used to say).

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  5. You can't win 'em all! The blowout was definitely surprising, though. Your memoirs were the best part of that battle, anyway. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, shucks. Thanks, DEBBIE! I'm glad you enjoyed my stumbling and bumbling down Amnesia Lane.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete
  6. Stephen,

    Sorry for the late visit to see how your battle went down. Thin Lizzy stole the votes in this showdown. Luckily I was on the winning side. :)

    Thanks for sharing the Ray Comfort video. This guy is new-to-me, so it was a joy to see how he simplified who God is to an unbeliever. I hope the things Ray said to this guy works on his heart eventually leading him to the foot of Jesus. Have a good day and be well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, CATHY.

      Ray Comfort has been around for a long time, evangelizing in that exact same way. It's a formula he developed long ago and which seems to work for a lot of people.

      As I recently wrote in a comment to Lee, I'm not exactly 100% on-board with Ray's very simplistic view of a vengeful God, but he HAS brought many people to Christ, so who am I to say? Plus, a person has got to start somewhere.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.