.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

BOTB RESULTS: 2020, SEPT. 1 (Or, STUBBY KAYE VERSUS DON HENLEY)

STMcC’s Vote On '2020, September 1st: 'Battle Of The Bands' (BOTB) - Or, Stubby Kaye Versus Don Henley - And The Final Tally:
 . 
{*Normally, a "BOTB RESULTS" image would appear here, but... more about that just a wee bit below.*} . . . First and foremost, I very, Very, VERY (got that, Brother Sixgun?) sincerely thank each and every one of you who cared enough to take the time to visit my li'l ol' blog and cast a vote in my BATTLE OF THE BANDS (BOTB) blog bit! Really, seriously - I thank you, every one o' youz!
 .
Secondly, a word to the wise: Vegetable Juice (broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, cilantro, carrots, squash) and a shot of Wild Turkey 101 DO NOT mix!! I very nearly dumped that "cocktail" (?) down the sink, but... dern'd if I was gonna totally waste a perfectly good shot of Wild Turkey 101, damn it all to satan's domain.
.
Thirdly, with evil Google's latest (UTTERLY UNNECESSARY) "upgrade" to their operating system / our Dashboard functions, my Old School computer has been boxed out and has become useless. In the past (time and Time, and TIME again, Number 6) I have been able to find ways to circumnavigate evil Google's unnecessary and unhelpful changes. But this time (as of September NOW, 2020), "Don't Be Evil" Google has finally "fixed" everything so damned good that I can no longer compose a blog bit on my own computer. I am borrowing my Brother's (aka Nappy & Judge Al Bondigas) laptop in order to struggle through the composin' (writin') of this already overdue (a day late) BOTB Results post. This is NOT fun. This is really, Really, REALLY not FUN (got that, Sheboyganboy?) . . . So, therefore, and for that reason, and how come why, I am going to keep this painfully composd (ritten) BOTB Results blog bit short and bitter as hell!
.
As I said in the original BOTB blog bit (which it's too much trouble to link to HERE), I really enjoy both movies, 'Guys And Dolls' and 'Leap Of Faith', and I really enjoy both renditions of 'SIT DOWN, YOU'RE ROCKING THE BOAT' (Stubby Kaye's and Don Henley's). But if I *MUST* choose between the two versions of the song (as I must, since this is BOTB, and every DogG & DogGette is downright REQUIRED to choose one or anutter), I gotta go with Stubby Kaye, because (as my Bro, Judge Al, noted...) a song about "Rockin' The Boat" should actually include a good deal of rockin' energy - which Stubby provided and Don didn't - even though I still do enjoy hearing Lethargic Don's recording. To my (low-wattage) brain, the word "Rocking" equates to "Energy". But then maybe that's just the Vegetable Juice & Wild Turkey 101 yakkin'.
.
Stubby Kaye = 6 votes 
.
Don Henley = 10 votes 
.
Not a bad outcome at all. And I love every one of you who contributed to it, regardless of which o' these combatants you supported with your two BOTB Kitty cents / sense. . . . Just for the fun o' it, I'm going to (try to) post below a video clip of the scene from the movie 'Guys And Dolls' where Stubby Kaye actually sings the song 'SIT DOWN, YOU'RE ROCKING THE BOAT'. And, for the record, I recommend that you watch BOTH movies - 'Guys And Dolls' & 'Leap Of Faith' - which feature the two renditions of this song that I used in this installment of BOTB.
.
Stubby Kaye in 'Guys And Dolls'
.
Hopefully (God willing & not too much boat-rocking in the USA), I will see y'all here again on October 1, 2020 ("the terrible year") for anutter installment of Battle Of The Bands.
.
 ~ Stephen T. McCarthy

15 comments:

  1. Decent outcome.

    Hope you get your computer situation fixed soon. I miss paragraphs.

    I hate it when tech companies decide to make improvements. Nothing ever really gets improved and adapting is just another waste of my time. Leave my stuff alone!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      Yeah, I was actually purdy pleased with this BOTB bote tally. Because, frankly, I had this on my 'To BOTB Someday' list for YEARS! But I always shied away from using it because I feared a Don Henley shutout of Stubby. (When I first conceived of this match-up, I felt I would likely be voting for Henley also, meaning that even my own vote couldn't save me from a shutout.)

      So, not only did I change my own mind about how I'd bote, but a whopping FIVE people even agreed with me.

      >>... Hope you get your computer situation fixed soon. I miss paragraphs.

      Miss Paragraphs has heard your plea for her, and she has arrived to satisfy your every desire! See above. (Fooling around a bit more on Nappy's laptop earlier, I found a way to make Miss Paragraphs reveal herself.)

      You and I have been at this bloggin' bit a long time, so we both remember every "upgrade" or "fix" that Google has made since about 2008, and not a damned one of them was ever once - NO, NOT EVER ONCE! - for the better. I'll bet if Google / Blogger suddenly reverted to the original system we knew in 2008, we would be praising them for FINALLY creating an excellent, efficient, and user-friendly dashboard. (Only an I.T. person - and vaccine-maker - can continually get paid big bucks for screwing up over and over and over again! It seems the bigger mess they make of things, the bigger bucks they get paid.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

      Delete
    2. so we both remember every "upgrade" or "fix" that Google has made since about 2008

      Maybe you remember those. Each upgrade or whatever erases my memory of whatever came before. I absorb as little computer tech crap as I can and mostly just operate on autopilot trying to just do what I try to do.

      Maybe life was easier before computers, but I do save on postage and check fees.

      Lee

      Delete
    3. LEE ~

      I certainly don't recall every single alteration that the I.T. demons have made since 2008. But I do know that every single upgrade they've made since that time has actually made my Blogger dashboard LESS efficient, not more so.

      The original dashboard was very user-friendly and I had ZERO complaints about it. But Google "fixed" it and made it worse. (And also, every time they'd "fix" something that wasn't broken, it always created a NEW problem somewhere else.)

      I remember in my early years of blogging, I could bring up my dashboard and immediately see - without having to click anything else - whether or not I had ANY (moderated) comments awaiting my approval on ANY of my blogs. Today, we have to click something to see whether any comments are awaiting moderation approval. That, alone, is just a small thing, but it's just one example of how the Blogger I.T. "fixers" have complicated the dashboard process over the years. They have never actually made the system easier / more efficient to use.

      And now they've "fixed" the nonexistent problems so well that I can't even use my own computer for blogging anymore. (Thanks, Evil Google!!)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS'

      Delete
    4. I've been knocked off my computer for the past couple days and this morning using my wife's computer to clean up emails. My computer "upgraded" on Thursday and now I can't even get on it. Hopefully it will revive at some point soon. My emails are piling up and my blogging activity has been non-existent until this moment.

      Guess I'll just stay off the computer for the most part until I come up with a solution. Maybe I'll go outside and enjoy the smell of smoke and breathe in the ash from the fires. Things have seemed rather apocalyptic this past week.

      Lee

      Delete
    5. Man, you ain't kidding! Things HAVE seemed apocalyptic recently. And I think the reason for that is... we are entering the Apocalyptic era. Of this I am completely, utterly convinced: we are indeed living in the Biblical End-Times. As I keep saying: 2029, give or take a year or two. But if anything, I'd say His Return will be sooner than 2029, rather than later. (I'm still betting my imaginary million dollars on late 2029, however.)

      I told my Brother last night, "This feels like we're waiting for 'the other shoe to drop'."

      I suspect something major is going to happen within the next couple of weeks. The first presidential debate between Trump and Biden is scheduled for Sept. 29th, and I don't believe "they" can afford to let Biden stand in front of a camera in front of millions of potential voters and answer questions spontaneously. His dementia / mental problems (whatever his brain is contending with right now) will become too apparent and he will be seen as incapable of taking the office of president.

      So, I am pretty much expecting some major problem to come to light regarding Biden personally, or else another False Flag event concocted against the entire country. *SOMETHING* is going to occur within a couple weeks that causes the cancellation of the presidential debates! That's my suspicion, and I'm betting my imaginary million dollars on it.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS'

      Delete
  2. MAN o Manischewitz! I love that number!

    So, I guess we'll always have Tom Petty, The Dip... and Stubby Kaye. In a "Fighting Kentuckian" sort of way, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McSHEBOYGANDUDE ~

      You are on one helluva award-winning comment role, "muh Bruhthuh"!!

      I literally GOL'd (Guffawed-Out-Loud) the moment I read your comment. That was hilarious!

      I doubt there's more than six (aka Six and SIX - but NOT 666) people alive on the planet today who would-a "got" - on the spot, without Googling - that reference you made to the "Fighting Kentuckian". ...I'm still chuckling and SMH! For two guys who don't hardly never agree on music, we sure are simpatico when it comes to udder things! (Uhm... Uh... no. Never mind. I don't think I dare to go... there. ...And, yes, I know damn well that you already know where "there" is, because... simpatico, mental telepathy, mental mammography, or sumpin' like that.)

      We agree on Petty, Dip, Prima (you dun fergot him!), and Stubby... in a "Fighting Kentuckian" sort of way.

      We ain't so far apart after all, McBruhthuh!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS'

      Delete
  3. Stephen,

    I'm sorry buddy to hear about your computer woes. Google is evil! Anywho, it might be time to upgrade to a fancier 'puter. Oh the heartaches of technology! Just as you get settled in comfy with your system then somethin' happens to knock you off your big easy chair. In this case it took 6 tries to get your off and that's impressive. Here's hoping you get this situation iron or thrown out with a wrinkle free work around soon! I went with Don Henley so I sided with the winner and the majority which is always good feeling. Thanks for sharing the results. That's it for now, my friend. PS: send Google a letter that reads, "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat!" in your pond. Stay safe, be well, and have bandtastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAThy ~

      >>... Google is evil!

      Yip! "Google is evil" and "God is Great" - there are no truths truer than those.

      Nah, this is the last computer I ever intend to own. If this one dies, I am going off the grid (unless I can use my Brother's laptop). Heck, it's almost 2029 already, anyway.

      >>... PS: send Google a letter that reads, "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat!"

      Ha!-Ha! That's a tremendous idea. And I would do just that, if I thought that satan's minions would take seriously a (Maverick) Christian like me.

      See ya soon, M'Dear.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS'

      Delete
    2. Stephen,

      I'd hate it if you went off the grid. You're a lot of fun and it's so nice to hang with like-minded folks.

      Google wouldn't listen to anything you or I have to say about the snooping, controlling ways.

      I hope your computer hangs in there or you can lay hands on your brother's laptop. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
    3. CAThy ~

      I just now saw this comment o' yourn which somehow sneaked through the cracks. Or under the doors. Or over the top.

      Thanks for the kind words, m'dear!

      I definitely intend to use my Brother's laptop to post an October 1st Battle. It'll be about our Best Friend and Savior, so I'm really determined to get this next one published!

      And I have a few good ideas about future BOTB installments, so I really don't want to quit any time too soon. But these are the very strangest of days, and I don't plan into the future any more than about 5 to 7 days anymore. At this point (as The Word Of God tells us), satan knows that his time is short, so we should expect - *EXPECT!!* - all hell to break loose on Earth soon. (As if we can't *already* see it happening more and more each day, eh?)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'FERRET-FACED FASCIST FRIENDS'

      Delete
  4. Yay for Hon Denley, my favorite Eaglet, or some such configuration.

    And by the way, I'm tired of updating computers. Good Lord, I don't want to total up the $$$ that we have spent on computers, laptops, cellphones, tablets, etc. Now my son has gone the way o' the Mac...apparently, he wants to pay even more. We could support a small country...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!

      DOC MacSIS, at least I haven't spent a ton of $$$.$$ on computers and other high-tech gadgets. This is only my second (used) computer. And phones? I've only had one flip-phone (inherited from my Ma) and one dumbPhone (which a friend gave me as a Christmas present).

      I'm not the lowest-tech person I know (The Flyin' Aardvark in L.A. and Carole in Alabama still don't own computers, and still have only landline phones), but I'm pretty high on the list of Lowest High-Tech people I know.

      Hon Denley thanks you for your BOTB bote! He couldn't have done it (as easily) widout ya!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'STEPHEN T. McCARTHY REVIEWS...'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.