.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Monday, January 8, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: 2024, JAN. 1 (Or, XAVIER CUGAT VERSUS BUDDY MORROW)


.
First of all, my thanks to everyone who participated in my latest 'Margarita Day' Battle Of The Bands contest, which also happened to be my first Battle Of The Bands' Battle Of The Booze contest. It took place HERE. The song was 'Tequila' and the contestants were Xavier Cugat & Buddy Morrow.
.
I love BOTH renditions of the song and grade them both a solid 'A'. However, I like the Buddy Morrow version just a wee tiny bit more. Perhaps because of the slightly slower tempo which allows for more tension between the instruments. And then of course there's that filthy sax. There are prostitutes who aren't even that filthy!
.
At any rate, my first BOTB's BOTB (a.k.a. The Battle In The Bar #1) was a fairly competitive affair.
.
FINAL TALLY:
Xavier Cugat = 8 votes
Buddy Morrow = 5 votes

.
.
I am posting another BOTB's BOTB installment on January 15th, so I hope you all will check back in then. I believe a lot of people are going to be surprised by the musical variety and the possibilities inherent in Battle Of The Bands contests in which hooch (a.k.a. "Evidence") is a primary ingredient / theme.
.
Until next time...
.
Bless & Be Blessed!!
.
~ Stephen
DogGtor of Alcohology &
King of Inebriation Nation

10 comments:

  1. That was a nice outcome. IN the long run, in the comfort of my own listening space for periods of just chilling out, I'd probably prefer the Buddy Morrow version for the reasons you stated. However, when put side by side I just couldn't resist those snappy juggling rhythms of Cugat. It's in my blood and takes me back to practicing our act with my parents. Good old days.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      I know *exactly* what you mean!
      I could think of many examples where I might say Song A is objectively better than Song B, and yet I still prefer Song B due to strong memories I have associated with it.

      Music is such a wonderful and mysterious art form!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. Your battle results turned out pretty good, too. I happened to be on the wining side this go around. Yay for me! Thanks for sharing how things went down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAThy ~

      Yeah, I was very pleased with the way this Battle went. As it was going along, I had the impression that Xavier was kicking Buddy's butt. But was surprised to find it was pert-dern close after I tallied up all the votes.

      This was a satisfying Margarita Day Battle.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. CHRISTINE ~

      Actually, I was pretty sure Xavier was going to win this Battle even before I posted it. But I've been doing BOTB for so long that I have almost a sixth sense about it now. Even so, sometimes there are *VERY* surprising things that occur (such as "The Purple Waylon Effect") which keep me ever interested in this BOTB blogfest.

      Also, the fun interactions with my voters has always been entertaining to me.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. Good battle, Stephen! Yay for Cugat! Glad you shared the outcome. I finally did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dIEDRE!

      Yes, this *was* a good Battle. I loved both versions of 'Tequila'. If I were 23 again and in an L.A. club, Xavier's version is the one I would have wanted to hear.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  5. Too bad Buddy lost. I was definitely into the filthy sax! ☺ I finally published my results too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE ~

      I am a big fan of sax in general, but there's something especially special about filthy sax. ;^)

      ~ Dr. DogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.