.
Welcome back, my friends, to the "Battle" that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
.
This is 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS' ('BOTB') where you listen to different recordings and vote for the one you like best. A new Battle gets posted on the 1st of each month and on the 7th, I place my own vote, tally 'em all up and announce the winner.
.
Friend? Foe? Stranger? No matter, ALL are welcome. So pull up a chair, pour yourself 24 oz. of DOG BITE High Gravity Lager (or the poison of your choice) and turn it up to Eleven!
.
[NOTE: Links to the first year of 'BOTB' (#1 - #24) can be found at the very bottom of this page.]

Monday, January 22, 2024

BOTB RESULTS: 2024, JAN. 15 (Or, LYNYRD SKYNYRD VERSUS HANK WILLIAMS JR.)


.
Hey, FRIENDS, thank you for taking time to visit and participate in my second installment of BOTB's Battle Of The Booze which took place HERE. I had fun, and I hope you did too. It was a whiskey versus whiskey contest between Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Whiskey Rock-A-Roller' and Hank Junior's 'My Name Is Bocephus'.
.
When I was a young man (yes, I WAS!), I really liked Lynyrd Skynyrd. But as I got older, my taste in music changed pretty drastycally. Today, there are really only about three Skynny Lyzyrd songs I still like pert-goot: 'That Smell', 'T For Texas' (which to me means "Route 66, Arizona") and 'Whiskey Rock-A-Roller'. 
.
My very favorite part of that last song is at the beginning, when we hear that woman laugh and say, "Ha-Ha-Ha! Whiskey, baby". Who was that woman? I think I knew her in my youth (Yuh-huh!) Or maybe there's a bunch of hers all over the country? Perhaps I met her one night in Vegas, baby. Or in that old saloon in Rock Springs? The bar in Nashville? The hooch parlor in Tallahassee? Well, wherever I met her, I'm still in love with her voice! She liked to drink Old Grand-Dad, and her shoes did shuffle around. (I love that lyric, too!)
.
I figured Bocephus was the underdog in this match-up and Lynyrd Skynyrd would win because... Lynyrd Skynyrd. However, I voted right along with the majority:
.
FINAL TALLY
Lynyrd Skynyrd = 4 votes
Hank Williams Jr. = 8 votes

.
That's why we play these games. Sometimes the underdog wins. And this means that sometime later (God willing) this Bocephus song will show up again on this blog when the BOTB's Battle Of The Booze playoff rounds begin. (Playoff-bound: 'Tequila' by Xavier Cugat; 'My Name Is Bocephus' by Hank Williams Jr.)
.
Thanks again for playing along, peoples! I'll have a legendary, monumental-like Battle for ya'll here on February 1st (God willing). The third one's going to be a charm!
.
~ Stephen T.
DogGtor of Alcohology &
King of Inebriation Nation

6 comments:

  1. Hurray for Bocephus! ☺ Blues wins the day. ♫♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

      Me like-um Bocephus! Any dude who can show up at his own concert drunker'n I am is... my kinda peoples! ;^)

      Truth be told, Bocephus is easily my 2nd favorite Country musician of all time. (Only Waylon scores ahead of him, for me.)

      Also... of the 109(?) songs I have on my future BOTB's BOTB song list, NO musical artist appears more times than Bocephus! Therefore, I think you'll be pleased to learn that there's a whole lotta Bocephus ahead of us in this Booze-related Battle theme I've concocted.

      My Feb. 1st Battle will *not* include Junior, but it *will* include two of the most famous and popular bands in the history of Rock music. This next one should be a humdinger, and I truly, honestly, 100-proofly couldn't begin to predict which band will win. (I can't even guess how *YOU* are going to vote!)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  2. Well, what about that. I still prefer good old Southern R&R to Bocephus' country rock, but he's still fine and he's been around for quite a while now. Good for him.

    I might have known that lady with the voice, but if it's who I'm thinking of she's dead. That woman I knew lived hard and hearty.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEE ~

      You'll be relieved to know that she's still alive (and still living hard & hearty). I ran into her at the BLUE BULL (Willoughberry's lowest dive bar) just a little over a year ago.

      I recognized her voice, because she kept saying, "C'mon, dance with me, baby."
      But I replied, "Leave me alone. I'm... I'm thinking."

      (It's a 'A Christmas Story' movie joke. You probably didn't git 'er, I'm guessing.)

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  3. Good battle! I'm glad Junior won ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dIEDRE!

      I liked this Battle. If it were an old style Disneyland ride, I would say it was a D-Ticket attraction. But please be sure to make sure that you shirley don't miss my next Battle on February 1st. If that isn't an E-Ticket BOTB attraction, I don't know what IS!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      POSTSCRIPT: Sorry about calling you "Shirley". ;^)

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.